March 2013 Moms

When can I go back to eating/drinking what I want?

I plan to breast feed - so I know that to drink I would need to pump and dump.

I'm actually more curious about sushi, and other risky items.  I know babies can have an aversion to different flavours in your milk (ie spicy foods), but I would really like some raw fish! 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: When can I go back to eating/drinking what I want?

• i asked a midwife friend about the sushi and she said that its fine to eat and if for some reason you get sick from it you can still breastfeed baby and wont pass anything. Sushi is on the top of my list after pregnancy!
  • https://kellymom.com/category/nutrition/mothers-diet/

with DS the pedi office told me to drink TONS of water to dilute anything that may not agree with LO. Also, no need to dump unless younreallllly  over due it.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageandrea ri 80:

Pumping and dumping is completely uncessesary unless you get obliterated.

I think people just like to say the phrase.  I worked to hard to pump, I would never pour my milk down the sink because I had a drink or two.  Its metabolized by your body. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageandrea ri 80:

Pumping and dumping is completely uncessesary unless you get obliterated.

I think people just like to say the phrase.  I worked to hard to pump, I would never pour my milk down the sink because I had a drink or two.  Its metabolized by your body. 

a friend who recently had a baby told me the "pump and dump" doesnt work.  like you were saying, it just get's metabolized... and i think it's the normal rate of one drink an hour. so i guess if you feed LO, have a glass of wine, you'll be fine to feed her again in about an hour.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • The biggest thing you will need to avoid will be decongestants. Sudafed, etc can really mess up your supply. Otherwise you should be fine. 
  • Yeah, like pp said, you don't have to pump and dump unless you are trashed, basically. 

You can eat/drink whatever you want, really. The only things you really need to be careful about because they can either transfer to the bm or may reduce your supply, are certain drugs/medications.

• imagegenepoolperfect:
    Just adding something our Lamaze/Infant Nutrition instructor told us. Keep an eye on what you eat so that if your LO has a reaction, you might be able to trace it back. She shared that one of her prior students had brought her baby to the doctor because of a rash, turns out the baby was having the reaction to chocolate. The baby wasn't eating chocolate, but the mom had downed an entire box of chocolate chocolate chip cookies and was BFing. But clearly that was an extreme case. If you keep everything in moderation you should be ok.

This is very rare.  I've seen a lot of people drive themselves crazy thinking they need to really limit what they eat, limit what they drink, etc. when really you pretty much just eat and drink the way you normally would except you will naturally be hungrier and thirstier because you are burning more calories.  Kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding resource.  I hate to see new mommies making life difficult for themselves by thinking they need to be really restrictive with their diets and even with drinking alcohol... you'd need to drink a lot before it affected your baby.  If you feel restricted, it's going to make it that much harder to stick with BF-ing. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Why do they have to make it smell so good if you can't eat it?? BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"