March 2013 Moms

Birth Control after LO's arrival

So probably in my second visit after finding out I was pregnant, I mentioned birth control to my doctor. His response: "You know you can't get pregnant for another 8 months right?" Yes however my type A personality needs.. enjoys planning ahead. Soo... what are your plans for birth control once LO gets here and things are back to normal down there?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Birth Control after LO's arrival

• Mirena. I had it before this LO and loved it!
  • imagemal922:

We want to wait at least a year or so before trying again, though, so I'm thinking about looking into an IUD. 

My sister has an IUD without complaints. She said the initial process was painful (for obvious reasons) but has not had trouble with it since. Is Mirena the monthly ring? One of my roommates in college said she could feel like and ended up only using it a couple of months before switching but that was also 3+ years ago.. I'm thinking the Depo shot because it can be used while BF and it was what I was on for about a year before pregnancy but I'm worried it will slow my weight loss process..

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Um, no sex until my DH gets the "Big V" or I get my tubes tied whichever comes first.

Seriously, I think the mini pill right off the bat since I'll be BF (hopefully) then all the things I mentioned above Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't even considered BC after this pregnancy...   I am hoping that I can continue to use my old BC pill, but now I am wondering about the IUD.  I have never considered it before.  Does anyone know when you can get the IUD put in after delivery??

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Normally I am on the Nuva Ring, which I adore.  Since I will try to breast feed, I can't use the ring (and, given the fact that I will have just pushed a kiddo out, I joke that there is no way it'd stay in place anyway!).  My doctor recommends a low dose progesterone pill, so I'm going to give that a go.  I am reluctant to get an implant since I will run straight back to the ring if breast feeding does not work out, and the pill gives me a lot more flexibility in changing birth control methods on the fly.
    Geeky is as Geeky Does... BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSPIJaimie:
    So probably in my second visit after finding out I was pregnant, I mentioned birth control to my doctor. His response: "You know you can't get pregnant for another 8 months right?" Yes however my type A personality needs.. enjoys planning ahead. Soo... what are your plans for birth control once LO gets here and things are back to normal down there?

I'm surprised your doc said you can't get pregnant for 8 months.  Hasn't he heard of Irish Twins??  :-P

DH and I are in discussion about this.  I'm liking not having to be on the pill anymore so I'm hoping that he'll consider condoms for a while.  We'll see. 

• We don't believe in hormonal birth control for religious reasons so we will do a combo of condoms and NFP but I probably won't begin charting or doing the NFP for a while and we will just use condoms every time. I have slightly debated getting a copper IUD since its the only kind of bc that I could have without going against our religious beliefs but I also know that we will almost definitely be wanting another baby after this one within 2-3 years and they said for the IUD's that its not recommended to have them inserted unless you plan on not having kids again for 5 years. I need to talk with the midwives more in detail about that option. I also was fitted for a diaphragm after having DD but we never ended up using it before I got pregnant again haha I may try that option also. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageRunner1981:
    I'd been on the pill for 13 years before going off then took a year to get pregnant. I think I'm done with the pill. I'll probably get an IUD. The huz wants to try NFP first, which I'm all for, but its a lot of work and too much risk in my opinion. It probably won't last long.

Hey! Trying to avoid with NFP is how I got pregnant! Lol, I know. User error, and we wanted babies anyway. But, NFP after childbirth and during breast feeding is a big commitment. Definitely start looking into it now if you're wanting to try it.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • my doctor recommended a BC pill that's safe for breast feeding.
  • I'm not interested in anything hormonal because I don't feel like that's the healthiest option since I was on BC for almost 10 years and I feel like that's enough. I don't like the idea of the IUD either because I know of a few people who have had it migrate out of their uterus and they needed surgery no thanks!. I'm probably going to do NFP and a diaphragm maybe, or condoms, but I'm not too excited about that. After we decide if we want number 3 or not DH is getting snipped so we only need to worry about BC for about a year after this baby and that's it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We want another baby sometime in the future so no BC plans for me.

• Had Mirena after first child, no issues at all. My insurance paid for the cost all I had to make was a $25 copay so that was a good money saver. I also had no period which was a nice bonus. I got pregnant 1 month after I had it taken out. So aside from the post-partum bleeding I had one period over 3 years! I got the Mirena put in about a week after my 6 week appointment after they confirmed the cost. Might not be right for everyone but was good for me!

• I'm getting Mirena because I have very painful periods. DH will get a vasectomy later this year since we've already hit our deductible, LOL.
    imageimage
    TTC #1 since May 2010. BFP #1 - 5/31/10; m/c on 7/22/10
    Started seeing RE in August 2011
    5 IUIs: BFN; IVF #1 - Success! BFP - 7/25/12 Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:
    What is NFP??

Natural family planning. You chart your fertile times based on basal body temperature, cervical mucous, cervical position, etc. month to month. You abstain from sex during fertile times.

FAM is the same, except you would use a backup form of BC, like a condom, during fertile periods.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagewittyschaffy:

imageSPIJaimie:

I'm surprised your doc said you can't get pregnant for 8 months.  Hasn't he heard of Irish Twins??  :-P

DH and I are in discussion about this.  I'm liking not having to be on the pill anymore so I'm hoping that he'll consider condoms for a while.  We'll see. 

I think the OP said that it was her second visit when she was pregnant - so she was only like 10 weeks and just thinking ahead. Her doc meant she can't get pregnant again until this baby is born.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imagewittyschaffy:

imageSPIJaimie:

He meant that you can't get pregnant again while you're pregnant :)  

Is it ok to take the pill while you're breastfeeding? I was wondering what the effect of an IUD vs. a pill is right after birth.  I'm not falling for any of that "you can't get pregnant while you're breastfeeding" crap!  Going to ask my dr. on Friday.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm planning on talking to my doctor about BC here after the baby is born... I had been on one pill or another for almost 10 years, taking it at the same time everyday and never missing a dose when I got pregnant so I'm not sure I trust the pill anymore!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think I'll be looking into the IUD. We're pretty sure we are done but not quite confident enough to do anything permanent. Once we're definitely sure that we won't be having any more kids, DH will get a vasectomy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bad experience with mirena (perforated the wall of my uterus and had to be removed when confirmed 24 hours later) so I will go on the mini pill but I'm super nervous about getting KU'd on it- DH and I were very blessed to get bfp's on cycle 1 both times. 

I'm going to have a talk with DH tonight about him considering a V.  We've spoken about it before but he's always said "NO WAY" with out giving it any thought. 

• I'm horrible at remembering to take the pill, the ring didn't work for me (I could feel it 24/7), my Dr. doesn't recommend the shot. So we will be going back to NFP. It worked for 2 years. The reason we got pregnant was because DH and I were away from each other for 3 months and we weren't going to wait another week to have sex. We figured we were in a good spot that if I got pregnant it would be okay.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I've also heard great things about Mirena. This is going to be our last baby, as far as I know, so I am considering Mirena since it's a longer-term solution rather than the pill. I am terrible at remembering to take that darn pill!
    BabyFruit Ticker *Brianna*
  • I had been on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for a couple years and we didn't like how it was affecting me, so for about a year and a half before getting pg I started temping and charting. It really worked for us. I asked DH his opinion on what we should do after this baby is born and he thought temping and charting would be best (and I agree, but I waited to tell him that until I heard his opinion). We want baby #2 to be about 2 years apart from baby #1, so it seems to make sense to us. After baby #2 we'll be done, so I'm not sure what we'll do for BC then..
  • imageskyllingstadl:
    We don't believe in hormonal birth control for religious reasons so we will do a combo of condoms and NFP but I probably won't begin charting or doing the NFP for a while and we will just use condoms every time. I have slightly debated getting a copper IUD since its the only kind of bc that I could have without going against our religious beliefs but I also know that we will almost definitely be wanting another baby after this one within 2-3 years and they said for the IUD's that its not recommended to have them inserted unless you plan on not having kids again for 5 years. I need to talk with the midwives more in detail about that option. I also was fitted for a diaphragm after having DD but we never ended up using it before I got pregnant again haha I may try that option also. 
    The only reason they are not recommended for short-term use is that they are expensive. If it is covered by your insurance, it shouldn't really matter. I only had mine in for a little over a year and a half before deciding to get it out and get pregnant again.  I am not sure when my insurance will cover another one - I will have to check.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Condoms all the way baby! I've never liked the idea of a pill controlling my hormones and body so much. It's worked for us.
    Our little angels went to Heaven very early: 1/2012, 2/2012, 3/2012. "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord". BFP 7/12/12- EDD March 26,2013 BabyName Ticker
  • I was on Ortho Tri Cyclin for 16 years prior to getting pregnant and once I came off I had the most intense, blinding migraines for nearly two months! Needless to say I won't be going back on the pill for fear of getting migraines again once I come off of them to have Baby 2. So I'm going to go with an IUD.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • my dr recommended the implanon insert that goes in your arm because hormonal bc messes with me really bad and i cant use the depo shot cause i have a lower bone density. The insert is supposed to last 3 years which is fine cause then we can start trying for baby #2.
  • imageJRod21:
    my dr recommended the implanon insert that goes in your arm because hormonal bc messes with me really bad and i cant use the depo shot cause i have a lower bone density. The insert is supposed to last 3 years which is fine cause then we can start trying for baby #2.

This is my other possibility since it's BF'ing friendly.  My bff got it after her DD was born and she's had her period for over 40 days!!!!!  So they're probably going to have to remove it.  I've heard good things aside from her experience.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"