C-sections

Breech baby - c section?

Hi ladies! 

So, I have posted about this before in some of the other boards but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience.  Right now my baby is breech (butt down) and I have an opportunity to get a version tomorrow.  At this point, I believe that I am going to turn it down.  The complications that they tell you about just make it really hard for me to say yes.  I would rather not have the version and if the baby turns, that is great.  If not, then I made the decision and I have a fine, healthy baby after a c-section.  If there are complications and the baby is having issues (umbilical cord wrapped strangely, bp dropping, etc.) and I have to have an emergency c-section that day OR if something worse happens to him/her, I would never be able to forgive myself.  Plus, there is a 50% change that he/she will flip right back around. 

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has tried a version and had a c-section because of complications or had a version and it didn't take?  I just wanted to hear some experiences that I could possibly relate to.  And also, if your baby didn't turn and was still breech, do they schedule you for a c-section before 40 weeks or do they let you go into labor and go from there?  

Thank you!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breech baby - c section?

• My baby was breech from 25 weeks on.  My OB talked to me about a version but the risks seem to high for me and there was a chance the baby might flip back to breech so I passed. My ob schedules c-sections at 39 weeks and not a day before. She said 40 weeks would be pushing it.  Unfortunatly, I had to deliver a little earlier (38 weeks) because at my second to last visit she noticed my amniotic fluid was really low.

• My baby turned from head down to breeched at my 39 week appointment. My doctor told me that versions are about 50% successful on a first time mom and very painful so I opted out of that. We scheduled my c section for the thursday at 39 weeks 3 days. I now have a beautiful healthy baby girl. Good luck. Big Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby turned to breech at 37 weeks! I did the version to try and flip her and it was beyond painful! It also didn't work. I don't reccomend it personally. I scheduled a csection and had no complications. I went into labor on my own 4 days before the c section. Good luck.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My first baby was breech at 30 weeks and never flipped, I declined a version and she never flipped.  I had a scheduled c-section at 38w6d and she is a perfectly healthy 2 year old.

This baby is transverse as of 28 weeks, we'll see if she flips, I was going to attempt a VBAC but I'm starting to feel like a RCS is in my future.

• My baby was breech. We tried a version at 38 weeks and it did not work, but I didn't really expect it to work. Trying it made me feel better about the c-section. Also, both my doc and the perinatologist really recommended it, as the risks are still lower than risks of actual surgery (i.e. the c-section). The baby tolerated it just fine and I didn't find it to be painful, more just uncomfortable. I really don't know who these doctors are who are making it soo painful. Mine was fine and my doctor said she would stop if baby or I showed any distress. My SIL also just tried a version that did not work, but she also felt fine about having tried the version.

My doctor said that they have never had a version turn into an emergency c-section, but she knows someday it will happen. SIL's doctor had one once turn into an emergency c-section.

I had a great experience overall with my scheduled c-section for the breech baby.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My baby was breech and at 39 weeks I had a csection. We discovered the cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times, preventing him from turning. We did not do an aversion because my doctor said it often ends in an emergency csection. It's very dangerous to go into labor when you have a breech baby. unfortunately, the next day in my area another lady with a breech baby went into labor naturally. She wanted a vaginal birth and was 41 weeks. Her baby passed away during birth because the cord was wrapped around his neck. We are so thankful that we listened to our doctor and scheduled a csection.
  • DS was breech and my OB did not recommend a version. I did a lot of research, talked to my medical friends and they also recommended against it. My OB will schedule c/s at 39w. We scheduled it for 39w3d worked best with our schedule but DS had other plans and my water broke at 38w5d. We went to the OB ER and had a c/s a few hrs later.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had a breech baby and my doctor does not do versions. I happily had a c-section to make it easiest on the baby. However, because my baby was breech for many weeks, she had hip displasia (sp) which the pediatricians office found. It was easy to correct with a little pink Velcro harness.  If you have a breech baby - be sure to ask your pediatrician to check his/her hips. I had never heard of this problem before ---but as problems go --- it was an easy one to correct!
  • My baby was transverse, I did opt for the version.  The version was not painful just more uncomfortable.  She did flip down, then she flipped back and went breech.  I was scheduled for a c-section, but my water broke at 37 weeks 3 days and I had cord prolapse so I had to have an emergency csection.  I have a beautiful healthy baby.  Don't let my story deter you, I had all kinds of complications in my pregnancy, nothing was ever "normal" for me! :)
  • I'm in the same position. My baby decided to flip at almost 37 weeks and is now breech too. Our doctor gave us the option of the version but told us it probably wouldn't work and the risks scare me. We are going back tomorrow to schedule the c-section and I'm pretty nervous about it, but know it's what's best for my situation.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • We found out my baby was breech at 38 weeks. I was also offered a version but declined for all the reasons you mentioned. Had a successful csection and all is well!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do you plan on having any more children? with my DS (my first) we found out he was breech at 40 weeks. They wouldn't try  version and scheduled me for a CS two days later. i never went into labor, never even had a single contraction, and i feel like  lost something. We are now expecting again, and the only hospital that does VBACS is 2 hours away, so they may not even let me try, even though i'm a perfect candidate. So i would make sure you consider those factors as well. Of course, the health of your baby is paramount, but if they have offered a version, i would at least try for the chance of a vaginal birth...they know the risks and will be ready for an emergency c/s if needed, but if you opt for the c/s for this one you may never be given the chance for vaginal birth again...
    image BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"