Breastfeeding
Options

Breastmilk jaundice

DS is almost 7 weeks old.  He developed mild jaundice after coming home from hospital, at about the 5 day point.  He is still mildly yellow in his face and eyes, and his last bilirubin test 2 weeks ago was 10.8 mg/dl.  He is otherwise healthy, eats well, puts on weight, and is doing everything he should be doing at this stage.  The pedi says it's probably breastmilk jaundice and to try a 48 hour trial of formula to tell for sure. 

I'm scared that 48 hours without breastfeeding is going to mess with supply and cause nipple confusion.  This is my second baby, but I've never had to pump or give bottles with either child.  Everything I've read says that breastmilk jaundice resolves on its own and a 48hour formula trial is not necessary.  

Does anyone have experience with breastmilk jaundice?  What did you do? TIA!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breastmilk jaundice

• Options

I would be inclined to follow your ped's suggest - if it is something more serious you would want to know.  I had to travel for business for 3 days when ds was 16 weeks.  He had all bottles at that time (bm not formula) but he had no trouble going back to breast.  He was a little fussy (very minor and I may have been sensitive)  the first feed back but after that he was normal.  Can you call an LC or LLL and see what they recommend?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My DS#2 had BM jaundice shortly after returning home from the hospital and we tried a couple day run on formula, but I pumped every two hours and after his blood tests (true blood tests-not the heel sticks- to check direct and indirect bilirubin and liver function) we determined it was actually BM jaundice that resolves as the hormones in your body regulates so we only used formula for a few days and I BF him also.  BM jaundice will resolve in a few weeks with the formula, I think I only used formula for 2-3 days and I still BF in between and at night sometimes.  I available if you have any other questions
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought breastmilk jaundice was in the first two weeks.  I could be wrong, but maybe you could get a second opinion.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options

I would listen to your pedi... 

Try to find a bottle with a nipple that has a wide base... I like the similac bottles or the nuk brand...that will help lower the chances of nipple confusion.  

• Options

Thanks everyone, and thanks especially AmyG.  I should have looked at Dr. Newman's website first for advice!  He was so helpful with DS1 when we were struggling with thrush.

I'll be talking with the pedi again soon.  He did give the option of continuing to BF and checking bilirubin again in a week.  I think I'll listen to my gut now that I know Dr. Newman agrees with me.  :)

• Options
    DD had it. Is say right around the 2 month mark is when it finally went away. I honestly don't think formulating is the answer if you have a good BF relationship. My ped said if she still saw it at 3 mo that she would run more tests to see if it was something more serious, but we never got to that point. She never suggested formula as a solution.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageeclipselova4eva:
    DD had it. Is say right around the 2 month mark is when it finally went away. I honestly don't think formulating is the answer if you have a good BF relationship. My ped said if she still saw it at 3 mo that she would run more tests to see if it was something more serious, but we never got to that point. She never suggested formula as a solution.

Almost everything I read  says it usually goes away by 6 weeks.  Glad to hear there was someone else who had it for longer!  I hope ours goes away by 2 months too.  Thanks :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"