Baby Names

Tradition of fathers's first name for son's middle name?

Anyone know if this has a cultural link, or is just something some families do?  DH suggested this since his family did it, but in my family, it was not common.  Thoughts ? 

Re: Tradition of fathers's first name for son's middle name?

• imagealegaga4u:
    Tradition of father's first name for son's middle name?

DH's family doesn't do this, my family doesn't either. However, I think the gesture is nice. However, what if you have two or more sons? Does his family give the fathers first name to both/all sons? 

• My DH's MN is my FIL's FN.  I think it's nice!  DH would like his FN as our (hypothetical) son's MN but he also likes other MNs.  I agree with PP about having multiple sons.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagealphalyrae:

imagealegaga4u:

DH's family doesn't do this, my family doesn't either. However, I think the gesture is nice. However, what if you have two or more sons? Does his family give the fathers first name to both/all sons? 

Just the first son has the fathers's name as his middle name.  Other sons have different middle names.  

• imagealegaga4u:
    Anyone know if this has a cultural link, or is just something some families do? nbsp;DH suggested this since his family did it, but in my family, it was not common. nbsp;Thoughts ?nbsp;

We live in a patriarchal society, so it is far more common for fathers to pass on their names to sons than it is for mothers to pass names on to daughters. My father was a III, and DH's older brother has his father's name for a middle while DH has his grandfather's, but we chose not to continue this [mainly bc DH does not wish to honour his family this way]. If both parents agree I think it can be a nice thing to do.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Different families have different traditions.  To me, that doesn't mean you "'have" to do it - clearly this is your child too and you should have a say.

But - talk to your DH about it and see how important it is to him, and work it out.

I personally have issue w/ any naming tradition that is passed down through the fathers side of the family- chances are the child is already getting that family's surname.  The child also gets a first or middle name from that side?  What about honoring YOUR side (if you want to do this, that is...)?

If you don't care, that's one thing.  But I really hate to see women railroaded into naming their child almost entirely after their DH's side all in the name of "tradition". 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• My brother has my father's name as his middle.  I don't know if it's a tradition, or if my mom just couldn't think of any other names to use.

I think it a nice compromise, if say, you are not keen on having a Jr.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• My dad did it, but we're not doing it.  My husband's family did not do it either.  I think it just comes down to preference.
  • My Italian ancestors did this, and my cousins' dad's side does as well.  DH's grandfather's name is John and my FIL's MN is Jon; in a spin on this, DH and his brothers all have middle names that are variations of John.  In DH's family at least, a lot of first names are from the mom's family, so both sides are honored.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • imageEastCoastBride:
    If you don't care, that's one thing. But I really hate to see women railroaded into naming their child almost entirely after their DH's side all in the name of "tradition"

ITA
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've heard of the tradition before. My brother's middle name is actually my father's first name. Same with one of my brother inlaws I believe. As far as I know we will not be carrying on the tradition with my husbands name. It's pretty different and I think he feels weird giving his son part of his name. I'll still push for it though. Maybe for a son down the road.
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • We used it with DS, but not because of a cultural thing, more out of a respect thing, since we did not want a "JR".

• My father's side did this and it stopped with my dad because he only had 2 girls. I wanted to keep this going with our little boy*, so DH was on board with this.

* Turns out, the little weenie was actually a vagina, so this will have to wait until next time! Grandpa-to-be wasn't bummed about this, at all. Smile *

One unique thing about my dads first name is that it was my grandma's maiden name (scott), so my father's whole name is something exclusively from my grandma (first name), something exclusively from my grandpa (middle name), and their family last name.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• My brothers MN is my dads first name, my H middle name is his grandpas first name, we plan on using either my H, his dads or his grandfathers FN for a MN. Well if we have a boy that is :-)
  • I think it's more tradition with families. My husband's family does this...he has is dad's name as his MN, and my SIL has their mom's name as her MN. So if we have a boy, he wants his name, Matthew, to be our son's MN, but if it's a girl we're not going by family names...although I thought for her MN giving her her godmother's MN.
  • My husband has his fathers middle name as his middle name. I think it is nice. I am leaning towards using my husbands first name as our son's middle name. I dont know if it is a cultural thing or not. Sorry I am not much help. Good luck.
  • This was how it was on my father's side of the family. And Dh's side as well I think it's pretty common.  

BabyFruit Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

J14 May Siggy Challenge

**Colleen Donaghy**

• Its not a tradition with our families, but my DH and I chose to do it for our kids. So our son has DH first name as a middle, and our daughter has my first name as a middle. Our little girl due next month will have my middle name as a middle :) We liked the idea of it
    Me 33, DH 33, Charlotte 5, Ethan 3
  • H is a jr., and he shares the same initials going back like 4 or 5 generations.  We may or may not keep this going if we have a boy.  I'd actually rather do his FN as a MN than keep the initials just for the sake of tradition.  I don't think H is tied to it, but we'll see if we ever get there. 
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • I don't think it is a culture thing..for us it isn't.  DH's middle name is his father's FN and my middle name is my mom's FN.DD1 has my first name for her MN and this next baby will have Elizabeth as her MN as it is my gramma, mom, and sister's MN. 
  • imageEastCoastBride:

I personally have issue w/ any naming tradition that is passed down through the fathers side of the family chances are the child is already getting that family's surname. The child also gets a first or middle name from that side? What about honoring YOUR side if you want to do this, that is...?

I totally agree with this. My kids and I all have my husband's last name, and he agreed with me that middle names could come from my side of the family. So my 3 kids all have middle names after someone in my family my grandmother, my dad, and a variation of my mom's first name / my middle name.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Taking your father's name as a middle name is a Russian and/or Ukranian tradition. Traditionally, you tack on -evich or -ovich if the child is a boy or -evna or -ovna if the child is a girl. So a man named Sergey might have a son with the middle name Sergeyevich or a daughter with the middle name Sergeyevna.

If your husband is not of Russian descent, then it's possible it's just a tradition within his own family specifically, and there's nothing wrong with that either.

It's up to you though whether you like it and want to carry on the tradition. I think both parents should have equal say in any naming decisions. GL!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagealphalyrae:

imagealegaga4u:

A friend of mine did this. Her husbands family had a tradition of giving the father's first name as the son's middle name. They have two son's, and they both have their dad's FN as their MN.

We do not have any naming traditions on either side of our families.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • It's not a tradition in my family or DH's, but it's not unheard of either. If we have have a boy, his middle name will be the same as DH's middle name just because.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"