October 2012 Moms
Options

Sophie the Giraffe

I was thinking about buying a Sophie the Giraffe for my son. He seems to be teething and loves to put toys in his mouth. However, I read the one star reviews and they all had to do with babies choking on Sophie.

Have any of you bought a Sophie?

If you did, what do you think of it?

Does it seem like a choking hazard?

Re: Sophie the Giraffe

• Options
    I can't bring myself to spent the obscene amount of money on Sophie. Alice is content enough nomming on everything else, including her hands. I don't see the nees to spend the mobey on it.

But that's just me and I know a lot of people swear by her.

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    LOVE sophie! With my DD she wouldnt hold on to the frozen teethers and even if she did those teethers cant reach past her front teeth. I also got my DS the smaller teether because i love it so much. Sophie isnt a choking hazard. She may gag, yes. But choke? no.
    "Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick and pull yourself together" Elizabeth Taylor DD 05/10 DS 10/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that It is way too expensive for a teether, but we got her as a gift and I have to say, I kind of love her. She is just so darn cute and LO prefers her over any other teether. I had to spend a few days convincing my dog it wasn't hers since it is very much like a dog toy. The squeak it makes is identical. I cannot see how it could be a choking hazard. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Isn't it 10 or 12?! Or has the price gone up since dd1 had one?! I'm confused.
    Birthday

• Options

imageMrs.G123:
    Isn't it 10 or 12?! Or has the price gone up since dd1 had one?! I'm confused.

I found it for 18 on Amazon.

• Options
    Emme loves Sophie. I, however, do not love the sound of rubber on gums. Sophie is huge, I have trouble imagining her as a choking hazard.

imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
  • Options
    Also got ours as a gift... Took her out today and he enjoyed!
  • Options
    Alice prefers soft. She adores her Taggie blanket and a fleece and satin blanket with an elephant head we got from a super fabulous friend. :D Alice likes to chew on the nose.

ETA:

After 7 years of no ovulation...
    BFP#1 10/24/11 ~ EDD 6/29/12 ~ Natural m/c 11/2/11
    BFP#2 2/3/12 ~ Alice born 9/26/12

Oct Angel Babies
  • Options
    My LO loves her Sophie! It's easy to grab and hold, it squeaks when she hugs her and its very easy to keep clean!! Best of all, they are sold every where so if Sophie is lost or forgotten we can buy a new one!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

imageBrea16:
    imagemrs.ike:
    I can't bring myself to spent the obscene amount of money on Sophie. Alice is content enough nomming on everything else, including her hands. I don't see the nees to spend the mobey on it. But that's just me and I know a lot of people swear by her.
    I feel the same way. I'm confused about all the hubbub around her. Why exactly is she so special?

Personally, I bought this toy because it was one of the few I found not made in China. I have a thing about China and their toxic toys.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Sophie is DS' preferred toy. I don't know why but its true that he loves the squeak, the feel and the visual aspects of her. He gets a huge smile when she comes out
  • Options
    My LO will chomp on Sophie for at least 2 to 3 times longer than anything else. And...some of us bought it because we were desperate! Worth it for us.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

imageannabelle8101:
    Emme loves Sophie. I, however, do not love the sound of rubber on gums. Sophie is huge, I have trouble imagining her as a choking hazard. image

YES!!! I was going to write the same thing. We got Sophie as a gift (I had no idea until now what she cost) - LO is 'ok' with her... he isn't always into her, but the sound of the rubber on his gums is HORRIBLE!! It seriously makes my teeth rattle. Oh I can hear it now.  

• Options
    My LO loves his. I don't understand how this could be a choking hazard? Like PP says, I guess he could gag himself on it, but my LO gags himself on his hands regularly so that's the case with any toy. Also as PP mentioned, although this was a gift, price would be worth it to me because it's natural rubber and not made in China and not plastic. 
    DS1 : 10/2012
    Due with B/G Twins July 2015
  • Options
    imagescerulla:

imageBrea16:
    imagemrs.ike:
    I can't bring myself to spent the obscene amount of money on Sophie. Alice is content enough nomming on everything else, including her hands. I don't see the nees to spend the mobey on it. But that's just me and I know a lot of people swear by her.
    I feel the same way. I'm confused about all the hubbub around her. Why exactly is she so special?

Personally, I bought this toy because it was one of the few I found not made in China. I have a thing about China and their toxic toys.  

Where is the "like" button.  Totally agree.  We got ours as a gift, but it was at the top of my list to purchase with the completion coupon if we hadn't received it.  DS loves Sophie.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I did witness DH's cousin's baby shove either the head or foot, I don't remember which and choke some. I don't think it was a life or death situation but it freaked her out and she cried a bunch. Personally, I have not been willing to fork out the 20, I know they have a mini one now too. I actually saw target has created their own version too.

• Options

I am a fan of Sophie too and think the choking thing is a bit much...

you know what E chokes most on? His own hands.... 

• Options

I finally broke down and bought one with a gift card and here are my thoughts:

Stella loves hers, but right now it's hard for her to maintain a good grip.  For this reason I wish I bought the smaller model.  She gets really excited when it squeaks, and her favorite part to gnaw on is the face.  If I hold it for her she will chew on it forever.  If I just give it to her then she drops it pretty fast and then gets upset.  It may be a gagging hazard (but you shouldn't leave them unsupervised with any teether) but it is NOT a choking hazard from what I can tell.

She also loves chewing on a receiving blanket and a small square teether.  Both are significantly cheaper.  I don't regret buying Sophie, but I have to be on guard to keep my dog away from it.  

You can see in this picture Stella is very serious about chewing on Sophie 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

MK adores her Sophie!  I will agree that it is expensive for a teether, but we were lucky enough to get it as a gift. 

I will also agree that LOs will not choke on her more than they would their own hands.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DS loves Sophie, I want to get him the small Sophie with the side handles too. Then I can keep it attached to the Carseat/play mat.

October 1st, 2012. 9lbs 2 oz

Jude - 8lbs 1 oz
    August 15th, 2014. 

• Options

imagepiffle42:
    We got it as a gift also and DD loves it! Her favorite part to chew is the face. image

this is my daughter too! She is starting to gnaw on the neck now too and hold it by the legs - She loves it - The material is different and I think that is the appeal bc it feels good to the gums. 

• Options
    DS2 was a huge fan when he was an infant, so we bought one for DD as well.  It's by far her favorite toy right now.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"