Breastfeeding

I was able to donate!

I am so proud of myself!  All I wanted for this baby was to be able to EBF, and if possible, pump extra so I could donate it.  Well, I have done it!  I donated 150+ ounces to a lady on Saturday who has preemie twins.  She pumps, but still needs 6-8 oz a day for them, and I typically pump about 8 oz extra per day (I ebf), so it works out! 

It felt good to donate to someone who needed it.  I hope to be able to continue to donate to her or other people who need bm for their babies!

Mama of 3 earth babies and 1 beautiful angel baby

Re: I was able to donate!

• Congrats! I am really hoping to be able to donate, too. It's my new year's resolution! I just sent in my paperwork to Mother's Milk Bank today, and I'm expecting a call tomorrow to schedule my blood work.

Are you doing a one time or continuous donation? Do they usually tell you who is getting your milk? I will donate no matter what, but I'm really hopeful I will get to learn about the babies who receive my milk!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• That's awesome.  Way to go!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats! I do informal milksharing through Human Milk 4 Human Babies and it feels great to help other babies!
    DD #1 Amber Lynn 12/2000, DD #2 Leia Elizabeth 6/2009, DD#3 Aayla Ruth 08/2012. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagegnomemom:
    Congrats! I am really hoping to be able to donate, too. It's my new year's resolution! I just sent in my paperwork to Mother's Milk Bank today, and I'm expecting a call tomorrow to schedule my blood work. Are you doing a one time or continuous donation? Do they usually tell you who is getting your milk? I will donate no matter what, but I'm really hopeful I will get to learn about the babies who receive my milk!

Is this a local organization? A lot of women find someone through Human milk for human babies or eats on feets, both of which have local fb pages, or an LC. Some states/cities have a program that collects milk and distributes it to preemies, but you wouldn't ever know who was getting your milk.

Then there are milk repositories that take the milk you donate and sell it to Prolacta, which reformulates it and sells it through insurance companies to hospitals. They also do research on bm components and sell that information to formula companies.

• imagegnomemom:
    Congrats! I am really hoping to be able to donate, too. It's my new year's resolution! I just sent in my paperwork to Mother's Milk Bank today, and I'm expecting a call tomorrow to schedule my blood work. Are you doing a one time or continuous donation? Do they usually tell you who is getting your milk? I will donate no matter what, but I'm really hopeful I will get to learn about the babies who receive my milk!

I found the lady on Human Milk 4 Human Babies on Facebook.  :)

• imagewife07mom09:

Ww that's awesome.  I'm selfish I think, I'm using my stash for my guy which is around 100 oz.

That way I have it for him when I don't pump enough. 

Oh I left over 100 oz for myself in case something happens to me, and I can't nurse my lil girl. 

• They have groups in a few different states. They take the milk and pasteurize it, and then it goes to babies that need it.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Oh, I plan on keeping 100 oz in my stash for my own LO. I just produce way more than he will ever need. I have 200 oz frozen and not very much room in my freezer.

BabyFruit Ticker

• That's fantastic!! What a wonderful thing to do!
  • Congrats! 

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• imageHopeNotLost:

imagegnomemom:

I found the lady on Human Milk 4 Human Babies on Facebook.  :)

Is this pretty safe?

I tried donating through a milk bank, but since I was drinking tea with fenugreek, they won't accept the 375oz I currently have in my freezer. DS can't have it as he just got diagnosed with a milk allergy.  

• As far as I can tell it's pretty safe.  I met the lady in the parking lot at Sam's Club, and just transferred the milk from my cooler to hers.  It's all based on trust though.  I know that my milk is free of anything bad, so I know what I am donating is safe.  Hopefully everyone else out there who is donating is the same.

• I would disclose the tea if I went down this route which seems to be a much better option than dumping it all out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"