November 2011 Moms

50 oz of water!

Holy cow! I decided to track DS's water intake today. He has recently been peeing out of his overnights every.night. I am shocked! Today he drank 50 oz of water plus 24oz of milk. Our pedi never gave us an amount to aim for. But I am gonna limit his water a bit tomorrow. Of course, I'm curious now. How much water is your LO drinking?

ETA: 24oz of milk not 28oz.

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 50 oz of water!

• Um, holy crap. I am lucky if I can get her to drink 16 oz. a day of water. She is only getting 6-7 oz. of milk per day because I only give her one bottle and she STILL won't drink milk out of a sippy. We are addressing this issue at our 15 month appt. on Wednesday. She leaks out every other night, even with the amount that she drinks, which is obviously waaaay less than your lil' guy. :-(
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • She only drinks maybe 12 oz of water each day.... but she also drink diluted juice, whole milk, and is still breastfeeding, so I feel like she gets enough liquids.

- Ava -  11-29-11

- Violet -  10-9-13

• Loading the player...
  • imageallisonty11:
    She only drinks maybe 12 oz of water each day.... but she also drink diluted juice, whole milk, and is still breastfeeding, so I feel like she gets enough liquids.

Did I miss a post? Congrats on your BFP! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagegracefulruby33:

imageallisonty11:
    She only drinks maybe 12 oz of water each day.... but she also drink diluted juice, whole milk, and is still breastfeeding, so I feel like she gets enough liquids.

Thanks! We're pretty excited!

- Ava -  11-29-11

- Violet -  10-9-13

• Oh, ya, JW I'd def say something to the pedi.  Not that I know of anything to be concerned about but that is a lot of water.  You may just have a thirsty baby, but also, maybe this isn't an everyday thing.  Why don't you try and keep track of it any day that you can because it may be important to know whether this is a phase or if this is something that DS needs on a daily basis. 

Keep us posted!! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagegracefulruby33:

imageallisonty11:

This :) Congrats!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageChan4dra04:

Oh, ya, JW I'd def say something to the pedi.  Not that I know of anything to be concerned about but that is a lot of water.  You may just have a thirsty baby, but also, maybe this isn't an everyday thing.  Why don't you try and keep track of it any day that you can because it may be important to know whether this is a phase or if this is something that DS needs on a daily basis. 

Keep us posted!! :)

I think I am gonna continue to "track" him the rest of the week..to see if its always that much water. If so, I'll start to try to limit some, so it's not quite so much.

We go back to the pedi on the 26th and that is definitely on my list to talk about.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Are you offering him that much or is he asking for it?  I would monitor through the week and bring it up with your pedi.  Increased water consumption can be a sign of juvenile diabetes.  Has he had weight gain issues?  That is another sign.
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • I don't really track LO's water intake....

Normally he has 15- 20 oz of WCM a day and water with every meal. I would estimate it is around 8-10 oz of water on a good day. I need to work on making sure that he has his water sippy out and available to him during play time. But he still has plenty of wet diapers.

I think it's fine if it's the occasional off day, but if this is happening repeatedly I would definitely contact your pedi. Just like adults, babies can get water poisoning. I don't know what amount would constitute concern for a baby though

• imagembgreenwalt:
    Are you offering him that much or is he asking for it?nbsp; I would monitor through the week and bring it up with your pedi.nbsp; Increased water consumption can be a sign of juvenile diabetes.nbsp; Has he had weight gain issues?nbsp; That is another sign.

We pretty much have water available to him all day. I only recently noticed that he seems to be drinking alot because I'm concerned that he doesn't eat much food. I'm sure he's filling up on water instead though.
    The only weight gain issues he's had were back when we were struggling to BF and pump.

Eta: that post was full of autocorrect fail.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • If he's truly drinking 50 oz of water when you track him over the next few days, I would not wait until the 26th to talk to your pedi. That is a LOT of water and could be indicative of something. At least call to put your mind at ease.

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • That sounds like a lot. I would call your Pedi. Our Pedi said they should be drinking approximately 1 liter (32oz) of liquid a day (milk, water, juice, etc) and that it's not good to have much more than that because it flushes all the nutrients out and will fill them up and prevent them from eating. DD drinks approx. 30oz of water a day (she is still refusing milk and we don't give juice.)
  • JsWife, I know that you said you might limit him but just wanted to say that I would not limit him until you track for a while. I'd say let him go as normal because he is drinking that much because he wants to.  The question is why. 

So I know that our furry babies do not have the same anatomy, but I wanted to say that even our vet was concerned when our dog was drinking a ton of water.  Turns out, he is just a thirsty dog, but I always watch what he drinks and never limit it.  If he needs it, it's for a reason even if it's just that he's thirsty. 

Just try and track what you can this week and I'd definitely call the doc at the end of the week or Monday.  Just to get a call in and maybe they have some tips on what they will want you to watch for or do until your next appointment (rather then telling doc at appt and then have him say to go home and do this and that).

• Yikes!  That's 74 oz of liquid a day.....that's more than a lot of adults drink!  I agree that if he's drinking that much regularly, it *could* be something to be concerned about so it would be worth a call.  Or it could be that he just likes drinking.  (Sometimes - esp if we get a new cup DD likes - she seems to go through a short spell of drinking a lot just for the fun of using the cup.) 

But my DD is definitely on the other end of the spectrum - I'm worried she's not drinking enough.  She drinks maybe 8oz of water and 8oz of milk on a good day.  She still nurses twice a day so maybe (hopefully) she gets another 6-8oz there too.  It's sort of chicken and egg for me - I'm still nursing mostly b/c I'm worried she's not drinking enough.  But maybe if we stopped nursing, she'd drink more.  IDK.  She seems to have enough wet diapers so I'm not *too* worried, but do plan on asking the pedi next week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the feedback, ladies!

I'm kinda limiting his intake today, just to see how he does. It just freaked me out when I realized how much liquid that he went thru yesterday.

I'll figure out a game plan after I see how today goes. I'll update ya'll when I know more.

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"