Baby Names

Nanette? But I'm Not French

What are your thoughts on Nanette? Every opinion and criticism are welcome. Also, I am in no way French and neither is my husband. Would it be too weird for an American girl?
"Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
15, '14
**RATE A NAME HERE!**

Re: Nanette? But I'm Not French

• I know a Nanette. I'm not a fan!
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• I don't think Nanette is a pretty name at all, but I wouldn't necessarily side-eye an American girl named Nanette.  What about Natalie?
    DD 9/2/13

• Loading the player...
  • I had a cat named Natalie. So for me that's off the table.
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • I know a Nanette and everyone calls her Nanouk.
  • We would call her Nettie for short

EDIT: Or maybe even Etta
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • I have a cousin Nanette, but they call her Nan.  I don't understand the entire nickname thing, I never did and most likely never will.  If you want people to call them the nickname you have chose, then why not make that their name?!  One reason why I don't like names that can be shortened into nicknames.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I think it's a pretty name. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nicknames aren't planned, just for possibilities. I asked about Nettie but a lot of people disliked the name.
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • Colette is alright. Thanks!
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • imagereenielynn:

imageJ+G+M:
    I have a cousin Nanette, but they call her Nan.  I don't understand the entire nickname thing, I never did and most likely never will.  If you want people to call them the nickname you have chose, then why not make that their name?!  One reason why I don't like names that can be shortened into nicknames.

we think the exact opposite. I LOVE names that can change as the child grows. For instance: Jennifer. when a baby/ toddler Jenny is great. Then as she grows up Jen. and in formal occasions Jennifer.

I have a friend whose name is Andrew and ever since he was little everyone called him Andrew.  Never Andy or Drew.  Another example, one of my cousin's name is Alexandria, but her parents have always called her Ali and that's who she refers to herself as.  I don't think I ever heard anyone call her Alexandria, even as a child.  I think it generally is up to what the parents call their child and then the majority of the time it sticks, but sometimes as they grow up it changes, like you said.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • NoNo

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• Sorry I really dislike it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like it. NN Nettie is great!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• What about Annette?  I think it's a little bit prettier sounding and I do still think you could use Nettie as a NN (or Annie!)

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I like the full name version a lot I think it's pretty cute and could work on an American girl.  My mother's name was Annette and she loves her name.
  • I known a Nanette, who named her daughter Natalie. Nanette's mom is Evette, I like her mom's name better. Overall, I don't think Nanette will get side-eyed, but it's just a little frumpy sounding.

Also, big ups to the above post re: Jennifer. I was Jenny growing up, switched to Jenn in college, but I'm Jennifer to those closest to me. I love having a choice in my name. Similarly my sister is Julia at work, and Julie  in real life.

Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• So people either love it or hate it...hmmm. Now I'm not so sure if I should scratch it or not. I don't really see an outstanding reason why it's horrible, and I do like it...ugh Idk!
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • I say go for it.

Neither of us are French, but Bernadette is at the top of my list. DH even referred to the baby as Bernadette today for the first time ever. ::fingers crossed::

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • If you like it, you definitely shouldn't take it off your list. Some people here have said it's not their style (it isn't mine either),  but there is definitely nothing "wrong" with the name. You won't get side-eyed for it. It is not too Uneek, it is not too trendy, it is not boring, and most of all, you like it: what more do you want?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not a fan. 

I really dislike the NN Nan... I know theres a difference in pronunciateion but I thought that was a food.  

**~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"