Baby Names

Agata

What do you all think of Agata? (ETA: pronounced ah-GAH-tah)

I really don't care for the anglicized Agatha (it's the /?/ that I don't like), but I think Agata is beautiful.  And one of my favorite students ever is named Agata, so my only IRL association is very positive.

I'm half Polish, so the name is a nod to my heritage. 

Our children will probably spend most of their childhood living in the US, so do you think there would be much confusion between people hearing/seeing Agata and thinking it's supposed to be Agatha?   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 

Re: Agata

• I think people will read it as a misspelled Agatha, but if you like it enough to gently correct them, then go for it
  • Is it pronounced Ag.at.ah?

Honestly, I have never heard this name before. Not sure that I like it.

The only problem I can see is that people will call her Agatha, and just figure it was spelled wrong.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Loading the player...
  • I do prefer Agatha, but Agata is not bad. :)

Mr. & Mrs. - Est. 10.03.2009

TTC #1 since 06.2011 Me-24 DH-24

12.2011 SA = Normal

06.2012 First visit with OB/GYN

10.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

11.2012 Clomid 50mg + TI = BFN

12.2012 Clomid 100mg + TI = BFN

01.2013 First visit with RE

02.2013 Clomid 150mg + TI = BFN

03.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

05.2013 Femara 5mg + TI = BFN

06.2013 Femara 7.5mg + TI = BFN

*Taking a break*  

• imageCelticWife:
    Is it pronounced Ag.at.ah? Honestly, I have never heard this name before. Not sure that I like it. The only problem I can see is that people will call her Agatha, and just figure it was spelled wrong.
    All this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really don't like it.  It reminds me of the word for indigestion.  Agita? 
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • imageCelticWife:
    Is it pronounced Ag.at.ah? Honestly, I have never heard this name before. Not sure that I like it. The only problem I can see is that people will call her Agatha, and just figure it was spelled wrong.

It's pronounced ah-GAH-tah, so different vowel sound in the second syllable, and a /t/ sound instead of the /?/. 

imageCourt0026:
    I really don't like it.  It reminds me of the word for indigestion.  Agita?  

I've never heard of this.  I only know indigestion or dyspepsia.  Thanks though :)  

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • Reminds me of kitty cat in spanish .... gato!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Hi,

I am also Polish, Agata is a lovely name, however I do believe it will be confusing to people who do not know how to pronounce the name. Why don't you spell it Agatha and have everyone call her Agata? This is what my parents did with our names.

Good luck! 

• I knew an Agata but she pronounced it Agatha.  Weird.  I always wanted to say Ah-got-ah.  I don't care for it or Agatha, sorry.

• I do think this name will lead to a lot of confusion.  I prefer Agatha or another name.
    Due with DS2 on March 15, 2013! PLEASE vote on my BabyNames.com list! http://www.babynames.com/namelist/9692263
  • People will constantly try to throw that ? in there; my own brain tried to do it when I read the name. If you're okay with that, go for it.

• Yes, there will be confusion.

But she'll explain it; I have a name that usually requires a quick explanation or correction, and it's nbd.

I think it's a nice nod to your culture, and agree it's much prettier than Agatha.
  • I LOVE Agatha. I think it's so beautiful and underrated. I don't however care for Agata. It's too different for me, but then again I'm not Polish. I think it's more suitable for a middle name if she's going to be living in the States.
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • imageKmommy91:
    I LOVE Agatha. I think it's so beautiful and underrated. I don't however care for Agata. It's too different for me, but then again I'm not Polish. I think it's more suitable for a middle name if she's going to be living in the States.

This
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"