Baby Showers

What should I do?

Im throwing a baby shower for a friend and she doesn't want to have games. What do we do then, just eat, mingle, then gifts or what. I read other posts about the childrens book thing and thats a great idea. We had games at my shower and Ive never been to one that hasn't had them. Do I still do some kind of drawing for prizes or should I just do favors?

Re: What should I do?

• you could do an activity. Like buy some white onesies and some fabric pens and have people decorate them. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Games can be pretty annoying...I actually think just food, mingling and gifts sounds perfect. Your friend and I sound similar in this regard.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was just at a shower for a baby girl and there were no games, but there was a little station set up to make elastic head bands with really cute buttons and flowers, and also the onesie/fabric markers (which I personally didn't do, they looked tacky and I know I'd never put my baby in them! lol), but you could do a drawing kind of think like another one I'd recently been to, they marked an X on the bottom of a plate and who ever got that plate won a prize. Another non-game idea I won a long time ago with, they had made tiny cloth diapers you pinned on, and who ever got the "poopy" "pee" diaper won something. So you could do stuff like that that aren't games and really don't take up much time at the shower. Good luck!!
  • I don't mind games but I enjoy going to a shower and being able to mingle and talk to people.  I like to catch up with family and friends that I don't get to see that often.  I'd rather be doing that then making a onesie, to be honest.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm honestly baffled that people don't know what to "do" with a shower that doesn't have games. What is it about showers that people feel that grown women can't entertain/ occupy themselves?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageBliss+Berry:
    I've never been to a shower that had them.  It wasn't until coming here that I realized people still actually did that.  We socialize, eat, drink, ooh and ahh over presents and go home.

Agree. If you feel you still need something, what about using a book as a guest book for people to sign or having slips of paper with wishes for the baby/MTB? Neither of those require crafty skills and would be cheaper than decorating onesies. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only thing we did at my shower was play bingo with the presents I was opening. People really liked that because they won bath stuff from a local boutique. It was fun for them and I did not have to do anything!
  • I also prefer no games. The most recent shower I went to did not have games (little favors for everyone - small scented candles) but there was a worksheet with TONS of names of famous moms (Beyonce, Reese Witherspoon, etc. etc.) and a place where you could write down the names of their kids. Some people didn't do much with it but it was a conversation piece (particularly given the crazy baby names these people come up with) if you want some sort of low-burden activity.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Another vote for no games!  Honestly, I think people just appreciate having time to catch up with the mom to be before the baby arrives.  I think chatting, eating cake, opening presents and getting on with your day is a great plan.

As PPs suggested- having books available (don't ask guests to bring) for people to write a message in, making onesies, etc. could be fun, but I don't think it's necessary at all. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This puzzles me.

What do you do at other parties?  Don't you just eat, drink, mingle?  It's plenty.  Adults should be able to entertain themselves for a few hours, no?

I didn't have games at my longish shower and I think it went fine.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• imageEastCoastBride:
    I'm honestly baffled that people don't know what to "do" with a shower that doesn't have games. What is it about showers that people feel that grown women can't entertain/ occupy themselves?

Perhaps it's the lack of booze.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMakemineadouble:

imageEastCoastBride:
    I'm honestly baffled that people don't know what to "do" with a shower that doesn't have games. What is it about showers that people feel that grown women can't entertain/ occupy themselves?

Perhaps it's the lack of booze.

I've been to baby showers w/ booze, though.... ;)
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• I opted out of games for my shower as well. My hostess was gracious enough to ask me what I preferred and I opted out. For the particular group we had assembled, good food and mingling was more than enough to keep everyone entertained.

• The only game they played at my shower was 'Bingo' when I was opening the gifts.  Gift opening can take a little time so it gave people (who wanted to play) something to do.  Everyone just chatted and ate.  I thought it was nice because it wasnt corny and it was optional.

The other thing was that I had a plate that was passed around during the gift opening for people to write something on and sign.  It turned out really nice.  You could do that or have a book or something for people to write well wishes.

• I'm another vote for "games-not-needed". If you feel like you need SOMETHING, I'd go with an activity or low participation needed "game". Like the sticker under the plate or a colored bottom rubber ducky in the punch bowl, etc. 

I would not opt for the decorating onesie activity, unless you are inviting really artistic people. I just looked through some pictures from a shower that did this and I kept thinking I would not let my baby wear any of them. Haha!

I had a building block activity at a shower I hosted, where I made a batch of wooden blocks, sanded the corners, and painted them a plain ivory. I took a paint pen and wrote baby's name name on the blocks (for a "dry side" to rest them on), then when guests arrived everyone got to decorate one side of the block! I had stencils and sharpies, paint pens, and tooth brushes (splatter effect). The blocks turned out super cute and it's a cute decoration for the nursery and will make safe toys for later. :) 

• I would surely be bored out of my mind at almost all of the shower I see on this board.  Course my family is HUGE on games (my friends as well).  We do games at any shower I  host...I don't care if the MTB likes the or not...I am the host and there will be games.  I go to soooo many showers where I don't know anyone except the MTB and quite frankly I'm not one to "mingle".  I normally just sit and make stupid small talk to people I've never seen before and will never see again, eat some muchies, and watch the MTB open gifts.  I really think a LOT of those showes could have last maybe an hour (if that).  Everyone else seems to have a LOT to talk about since they know each other.  At least with a game or two there is "something" I can do except sit there like a bump on a log.  Obviously when I go to a shower where there are people I know we talk but we do that all the time anyway...don't need a shower to talk to people...KWIM?

If you don't want to have games that is fine (except for those that don't know anyone else).  Just keep in mind that there WILL be a few people that DO like games...but majority rules (sometimes).

• imagemel8255:
    Games can be pretty annoying...I actually think just food, mingling and gifts sounds perfect. Your friend and I sound similar in this regard.
    I agree with this. We are not doing games either...just mingling, eating, opening gifts, etc.
  • I've been to showers without games and it's not awkward.  Like PP said--have food, open gifts, eat sweets and say goodbye.  Games or no games it really doesn't matter.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"