December 2012 Moms

Pacifier Help

DD is not a huge fan of the pacifier. She just wants the breast, and when I won't give her that, she goes for her hand. Or just cries. It's frustrating because DS took the pacifier every time, immediately. I don't want DD to use it her hand or fingers because it cannot be taken away and that is a hard habit to break.

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for a good pacifier? We've tried the Nuk, The First Years Gumdrop, Soothie/Wubbanub, Born Free Bliss, and Evenflo Bebek. She likes the Wubbanub the best, but it's a hit or miss (usually a miss.)

TIA.

Re: Pacifier Help

• Have you tried a MAM yet? My lo takes a nuk but my nieces and nephew will only use a MAM. hope it gets better for you!

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• In a similar boat except every time we give DD a paci she gags and spits up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

• Loading the player...
  • imagemuskiefan07:
    Have you tried a MAM yet? My lo takes a nuk but my nieces and nephew will only use a MAM. hope it gets better for you!

Mine will only take the mam also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Some babies will never take to a paci. Not to be discouraging, but maybe just prepare yourself for that.

That said, the only ways I've gotten LO to take a paci are while in the car while DH drives and while I bounce on the yoga ball.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LO will only take MAM pacifiers as well. She's a sucker baby, that's for sure. I usually offer her the boob first, but sometimes she just wants to suck without eating anything and gets frustrated about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We finally got Nolan to take MAM. I eased him into it by letting him suck on my finger and then switching them quickly.
  • +1 for MAM, those are where we had the most success with DS1.

That said, neither of my babies really like pacifiers, I have been able to get them to take them occasionally but usually have to hold it there for them - the only reason I use it instead of the boob is because I have an oversupply of milk and have to be careful not to overfeed DD (she throws up when she eats too much).

Jude Wayne - Born 4/23/10 Violet Patricia - Born 12/5/12 Breastfeeding, baby-wearing work-at-home mom of 2 living in Rockville, MD
  • Some babies just don't like pacifiers, you know. 

That being said, it took a long time to get DS to take one as well. I started out with the MAM and he would gag and spit up almost every time we tried it. We tried Nuk, The First Years Gumdrop, Tommee Tippee and a few others I can't remember.

After about a week hiatus we just randomly tried a Nuk again and that's what he takes now! It's still not something he wants all the time though. 

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We have tried multiple paci's too and the only one LO will take is a soothie. Sometimes she wants it and other times not. The thing I found that helped the most is calming her down (by rocking/shushing) before giving it to her, otherwise shes too upset to try it. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My LO usually likes the wubbanub a well, but sometimes takes the playtex binkie too...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"