November 2011 Moms
Options

finally STTN

I know most of your children probably STTN months ago, but mine did not.

He was still waking 2-5 times a night until a few weeks ago.

We followed the Dr.Jay Gordon method for night weaning (since BF was the only way he could go back to sleep) and I am happy to say (knock wood!) that he is STTN.

He sometimes wakes once, cries for a minute and goes back to sleep, but nothing bad.

Dh and I can finally see a light at the end of this dark, depressing tunnel!

I just wanted to share, as lack of sleep was the hardest part of new motherhood for me and I asked several of you for advice in the past.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

Re: finally STTN

• Options
    Aww, glad to hear (read) it! It is such a relief when both of you realize that STTN is possible without BFing. Mine didn't STTN until he was weaned the week before Christmas. Enjoy your extra sleep!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That's awesome! I need to start sleep training for DD as she still wakes up 6 or more x/night but I keep making excuses; teething, cold, daddy's gone, more teething, etc. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats so glad to hear that your LO is STTN.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    That's great to hear that LO is STTN. It is amazing how having a whole night's sleep can make you feel like a new person! Enjoy your sleep!

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageRosebud2587:
    That's awesome! I need to start sleep training for DD as she still wakes up 6 or more x/night but I keep making excuses; teething, cold, daddy's gone, more teething, etc. 

It's actually just a habbit after 3 months of age (as long as LO is putting on weight correctly). That being said, I still went in to feed both of my kids until they were past the year mark. Good luck with your sleep training! I believe now is a great time to start (age-wise).

• Options

jb2rn, does he sleep in your bed with you?  After reading this post, I read an article that Dr. Jay Gordon posted on his method, and it sounds like it's primarily for babies who share the family bed.  My LO sleeps in her crib in her room, (and has since she was ab 6 mos old). 

I have weaned her from the breast, but she sometimes still wakes in the night for cuddles and a drink...  (I've been using water...)  I am planning on cutting out the drink part, but I still think she will wake to cuddle.

Anyway, I was just wondering, because I would like to use this method, but she does not sleep in our bed...  :)

• Options

Congrats!  When we did ST at the end of August, and it worked, I felt like I almost knew what I was doing with this whole parenting thing.  I felt SOO proud.  I'm sure you feel super good, too. :)  DD still throws herself all over her crib, so I end up going in there once on most nights to fix her.  You are already doing better than us! 

I am curious, too, did you move DS out of your room or is he still in there and you still managed to get him to STTN?

• Options
    imageChan4dra04:

Congrats!  When we did ST at the end of August, and it worked, I felt like I almost knew what I was doing with this whole parenting thing.  I felt SOO proud.  I'm sure you feel super good, too. :)  DD still throws herself all over her crib, so I end up going in there once on most nights to fix her.  You are already doing better than us! 

I am curious, too, did you move DS out of your room or is he still in there and you still managed to get him to STTN?

If you're looking tips, I started with having LO take daytime naps in the crib and transitioned to nights after a week. I also made sure all blankets, toys, and music where in there that DS usually had with him. You'll probably have a good bit of resistance since she's used to sleeping in your room already. In our sleep book it recommended transition to the crib by 6 weeks because their eyesight matures and they get used to their environment. GL! I wish you the best. And remember, it won't be like this forever!

• Options

Thanks, RedCamaro!  But I was actually just curious bc I knew that OP was co-sleeping with DS, so I was just wondering if she gave him the boot or was able to get him to STTN while still sleeping close.  My DD has been in her crib since 5 weeks, with a 3 month co-sleeping arrangement over last Summer against our will, which then led to sleep training.  :) 

Thanks, though!  I'm sure other's will find your info very helpful.

• Options
    imageChan4dra04:

Thanks, RedCamaro!  But I was actually just curious bc I knew that OP was co-sleeping with DS, so I was just wondering if she gave him the boot or was able to get him to STTN while still sleeping close.  My DD has been in her crib since 5 weeks, with a 3 month co-sleeping arrangement over last Summer against our will, which then led to sleep training.  :) 

Oh I see. Sorry! I've been through so much with DS and his sleep habbits. We were even co-sleeping for a while (until 6 months of age). I'm all for passing along info to make someone else's life a bit easier!

• Options
    imageRedCamaro:
    imageChan4dra04:

Oh I see. Sorry! I've been through so much with DS and his sleep habbits. We were even co-sleeping for a while (until 6 months of age). I'm all for passing along info to make someone else's life a bit easier!

No problem!  Thanks for the tips, anyways! :)  

• Options
    imageRedCamaro:

imageRosebud2587:

It's actually just a habbit after 3 months of age (as long as LO is putting on weight correctly). That being said, I still went in to feed both of my kids until they were past the year mark. Good luck with your sleep training! I believe now is a great time to start (age-wise).

That depends on what doctor you ask and what books you read whether it's a "habit".  It is possible and normal for a baby to STTN at that age, but it's also developmentally normal for them to wake at night up through age 2. 

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is WONDERFUL news!!! I'm so happy that he's sleeping! I hope that you are enjoying sleep and getting back to feeling like yourself again. Sleep deprivation is *so hard*!!
  • Options
    Yay!  I already can't wait for DS2 to sleep through the night, and he is only a month old!  I am so tired.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    YesParty!!!
    photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options

Congrats! DD usually sttn but then she wakes up at 4:30 for the day! I need help, I'm dying with the early wake ups.... Don't want to hijack your thread, maybe i should start a new one. 

imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone! We did not/do not bed share. He has been in his crib in his room since he was 3 months old. I just followed the plan for not nursing to sleep, then not nursing and just picking up and patting his butt. I was shocked at how well it went. One night he did cry and kick and back arch for about 25 min, but I was holding him, so I was ok with that.
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options

imagejb2rn:
    Thanks, everyone! We did not/do not bed share. He has been in his crib in his room since he was 3 months old. I just followed the plan for not nursing to sleep, then not nursing and just picking up and patting his butt. I was shocked at how well it went. One night he did cry and kick and back arch for about 25 min, but I was holding him, so I was ok with that.

Sorry, apparently I was thinking of someone else.  I was curious as to how that situation would have worked out.

• Options
    Hurrah!  I got very lucky and have a good sleeper - 95% of the time....  And on those nights that sleep is rough I think about all the poor mommies who have rough nights ALL the time and wonder how they do it.  I can only imagine how rough it has been for you!  So happy that you all are getting sleep!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"