3rd Trimester

Advice needed: family, flu, and a newborn

Hey ladies! So I'm going in for a scheduled induction on the 22nd unless baby boy decides to come early. The 22nd is only 12 days away and I just got word yesterday that nearly everyone on the hubby's side of the family has come down with the respiratory flu. I have had my flu shot, as has my DD, but hubby refuses to get his and of course his entire family never got theirs either. Hubby's sister just caught it, her kid has it, his dad has it really bad, and so far, his mom has yet to catch it but I'm betting its just a matter of time. His mom let me know that they all hope to be well by the time the baby comes so they can see him right after he is born but I'm not feeling comfortable with it. Isn't the flu contagious 2 weeks after symptoms subside? So if they all have the flu in full force right now, I'm thinking (and I'm a paranoid mama for sure) I would rather not have them around for the next month just to place it safe. Am I being overly protective here? I have no trouble being blunt and forward, but I also don't want to go overboard and keep them away longer than needed. What are your thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Advice needed: family, flu, and a newborn

• My DH sadly has a few reasons for not getting the shot. One of his best friends got the flu shot several years back and ended up with Guillain Barre Syndrome so of course seeing his friend go through all the complications of it has made him extremely against the shot. Another reason he likes to toss at me is the fact he hasn't gotten the flu in over a decade, even when those around him have had it so he feels his immune system is golden. And he is one of those types that you can argue with until your blue in the face and will end up doing the opposite of what your asking him to do just because he can and likes to be stubborn. I'm still pushing for him to get it but Its honestly like arguing with the wall.

As for your other comment about his family, that is my worry as well. I know his dad will accept and do whatever is asked of him (he is seriously one of the sweetest and most understanding people I have ever met) but his mother and sister...ugh... they feel that they know best. You can tell them 2+2=4 and they would stand by the idea it equals 5, not matter how much evidence is to the contrary. I don't want there to be hard feelings or anything, but I also do not want to risk my newborn catching the flu right after birth. 

• People are contagious a few days before they develop symptoms, to 5 to 7 days after the symptoms start. The catch is, children can actually be contagious a few days longer then that.

The good news is that they should be fine by the time baby arrives. Plus, if you had your flu shot baby will have some immunity to it.

www.flu.gov

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Loading the player...
  • I forgot to say, a month is a bit extreme.

If you have symptoms, you can't visit.
    Everyone must wash hands to touch baby or its things.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• imageCelticWife:
    I forgot to say, a month is a bit extreme. If you have symptoms, you can't visit. Everyone must wash hands to touch baby or its things.

This. 

• No flu shot and perfussis vaccine = no visit for us.  Shame on your husband for not getting it! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You can always ask the hospital could you have a box of there masks to take home. I dont blame you with the flu and whooping cough going around. Im doing the same thing!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I wore DS1 whenever we were expecting company in his 1st month & kept hand sanitizer in full view.  I never gave him up unless the visitors were symptom-free, properly washed & sanitized- some of them up to the elbows! (My husbands extended fam is full of smokers & I almost wanted to ask them to wear a smock to cover their clothes, too, but DH talked me down.)  Your baby, your rules & better paranoid & overprotected than sick & sorry when it comes to newborns!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would say absolutely nobody with symptoms or even the "lingering cough" that sticks around usually. And I second the idea of a box of masks...just to be on the safe side. Definitely plenty of hand washing too! My opinion is you can never be too safe..especially when dealing with sickness around a newborn. That being said, I don't think you're contagious after you've had it for a few days. I believe it is before (the incubation period) and during is when you are most contagious. Good luck! 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelaurakaz13:
    No flu shot and perfussis vaccine = no visit for us.  Shame on your husband for not getting it! 

This was true for us as well.  But, our state also has a huge outbreak of both pertussis and the flu, so everyone was pretty understanding when we asked them to make sure they're up to date on their shots. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"