1st Trimester

Drinking enough water

How important is it? My CNM wanted me to drink more water after she saw how concentrated my urine was at my first appointment. I'm trying, I swear. But I just feel like there is nothing BUT water in my system when I get close. It makes me nauseous!

Most people suggest ways to change the water to make it more palatable but that isn't the problem. I like water, I like it plain, and I like it room temp. Changing that up doesn't make it easier. It is just SO MUCH water!

So, is it going to do serious damage to my growing baby if I only get about 2/3 or so of the recommended water most days?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Drinking enough water

• Thanks for your experience! I really am trying, glad to hear things can be ok even if I don't manage to get in every recommended ounce!
  • Did your CNM specify how much water they want you to drink? Sounds like a good question to ask given their observation of your urine...

Per the Mayo Clinic website:

"Water carries nutrients from the food you eat to your baby. It can also help prevent constipation, hemorrhoids, excessive swelling, and urinary tract or bladder infections. As your pregnancy progresses, drinking too little water can contribute to premature or early labor." 

"The Institute of Medicine recommends about 10 cups (2.3 liters) of fluids a day during pregnancy. Water, juices, coffee, tea and soft drinks all contribute to your daily fluid needs. Keep in mind, however, that some drinks are high in sugar and too much can cause weight gain. Because of the potential effects on your developing baby, your health care provider might also recommend limiting the amount of caffeine in your diet to less than 200 milligrams a day during pregnancy." 

Source: https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-nutrition/PR00108/NSECTIONGROUP=2 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You really need to try as hard as possible to stay hydrated. I suck at drinking enough, and last pregnancy my dehydration caused me to develop kidney stones. I was in the hospital for 5 days. This time I'm chugging it down. There is no way I want to go through all of that again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Well she pointed to the travel glass I had with me (kinda like a Tervis but generic) and said to aim for at least three. I'm not sure exactly how much water that it, but I try to get in three similar sized glasses per day. Usually I'm closer to two or a little over.
  • it is VERY VERY important to get the amount of water you are supposed to have during pregnancy. your body is working overtime. YOURE GROWING A HUMAN!! :-)

My ob INSISTS on 90 oz of water minimum per day. i have a big 30 oz straw cup and i fill it 3 times a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. its much easier that way i can see how much i have had, and know how long i have to finish it until my next fill up.

• I hate drinking water. I always have.

But I have to admit, I feel a whole lot better the more I drink. So I went out and bought a really cute water bottle to take to work. I mindlessly chug that stuff all day and catch myself refilling 4-5 times each shift! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just start small. When you urinate and it's clear, your getting enough water.

• When I was about 8 months pregnant with my son, I thought I WAS drinking enough water, but I still managed to get a raging kidney infection that hospitalized me for a couple of days, which totally blew.  I try to refill my 24 oz water bottle 3x throughout my workday.  Weekends are harder, I just don't think about it until I get thirsty.  Trying to get better about that.

Sisters:  Now and then.

imageimage

Elijah's 1st day of Kindergarten!
  • It's pretty darn important.  There are a lot of complications that can come from you failing to drink enough, including fetal death.  Keep sipping it all day long.  Set a timer on your phone to remind you if you can't remember to drink water.  

You should be peeing at least every two hours during the day.  Your pee should be clear, nearly colorless and nearly odorless.  If it's not, you need to drink more water.  

Most doctors recommend pregnant women drink 100-200oz per day.  I usually aimed for a gallon and figured it was a bonus if I went over.  I gradually worked up to that amount, though I've always been a water drinker so I wasn't that far off from it to begin with.  If this sounds like a ton to you, consider this - a toddler needs 32oz per day to maintain her health.  A TODDLER.   So, you're talking about drinking roughly 3x that amount.  Most toddlers are 25-35 pounds.  So, pound per pound, you're still looking at drinking less than a toddler.  Drink up.  

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • imageSaraSKC:

How important is it? My CNM wanted me to drink more water after she saw how concentrated my urine was at my first appointment. I'm trying, I swear. But I just feel like there is nothing BUT water in my system when I get close. It makes me nauseous!

Most people suggest ways to change the water to make it more palatable but that isn't the problem. I like water, I like it plain, and I like it room temp. Changing that up doesn't make it easier. It is just SO MUCH water!

So, is it going to do serious damage to my growing baby if I only get about 2/3 or so of the recommended water most days?

I agree it makes me sick to my stomach.

• Specify if its plain Jane water she wants you to drink or if clear liquids like apple or plum juice are OK. You can also ask about the water additives to sweeten up the water. Also, lemon juice and one of the approved sweeteners can make for a mild lemonade in a full glass of water.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagexxpairofmedicsxx:
    Specify if its plain Jane water she wants you to drink or if clear liquids like apple or plum juice are OK. You can also ask about the water additives to sweeten up the water. Also, lemon juice and one of the approved sweeteners can make for a mild lemonade in a full glass of water.

its water, not juice.

juice is ok too, but you still need the large amount of water. juice is not water.

i would be careful about the water enhancers because most have artificial sweeteners.  

• imageBeachMama7693:

it is VERY VERY important to get the amount of water you are supposed to have during pregnancy. your body is working overtime. YOURE GROWING A HUMAN!! :-)

My ob INSISTS on 90 oz of water minimum per day. i have a big 30 oz straw cup and i fill it 3 times a day, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. its much easier that way i can see how much i have had, and know how long i have to finish it until my next fill up.

WOW that's a LOT of water... Good job!

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"