1st Trimester

Why am I so much more worried this time around?!

Hey ladies....could really use some support and advice!

I'm currently almost 5 weeks pregnant with baby #2.  I had a healthy pregnancy/delivery 2.5 years ago to a perfect baby girl.  January 2013 was our first month TTC, and we ended up getting pregnant our first month of trying.

I have NO reason why I should be so worried about losing the baby, but I AM!   I was never worried about anything like this with my first pregnancy, but this time around I am paranoid about every little twinge, cramp, bathroom trip, etc.  I work as a labor & delivery nurse, so maybe it's because this time around I know too much...? 

Anyways, I know worrying does more bad than good, which is why I'm trying my HARDEST to relax, pray, and try to enjoy every moment.  Anyone else in this same boat?  If not, what are you doing to stay relaxed and worry-free??  TIA!!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker image

Re: Why am I so much more worried this time around?!

• I totally understand the worries! I will be 5 weeks pregnant tomorrow with my first and I am totally worried about everything! What if I loose the baby? What if we go to our first appointment and there is no heartbeat? What if the baby stopped growing? What if my baby is born with Down syndrome? How will I handle it? I had a meltdown yesterday. I find that talking with my husband is helpful, at least I am not keeping it bottled in. But, I too would like some tips on dealing with all of these worries. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I'm in the exact same shoes... In the last 3 weeks my sister inlaw had a miscarriage, and a few days ago one of my closest friends did. Makes me wonder what my chances are, if 2 people I'm that close with had a loss. I'm just about 6 wks and I'm still waiting for my OB office to call and book me in, which isn't helping at all. I'm worried that what if something is wrong, and I don't even know because the damn OB office hasn't booked me in yet. ARGH! It took us 9 months of ttc and I don't want anything to go wrong.I try to not worry but its hard some days, mostly since it's my first pregnancy too. I have no reason to think anything bad, I have no bad cramping or spotting, I don't really even have bad morning sickness. Some days I feel crazy, every time I pee I take a peek to ensure there isn't any spotting, I've even peed on a few tests here and there just to reassure myself that I'm still pregnant. lol 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It probably is a matter of knowing too much this time around. When I first found out I was pregnant, I was really worried abut a chemical pregnancy after reading about them. Then when I made it to 6 weeks, I was worried that I would have a blighted ovum, or ectopic, or some other thing that would make my pregnancy totally not viable. Now that I have heard the heartbeat, I'm worried that something else will happen. At first I was reassured and relaxed, but then I read Beyonce's story of her miscarriage and it just got me worried all over again. If I hadn't been reading so many things on it and on the message boards, I don't think it would worry me as much. I try to tell myself that right now I'm pregnant with a healthy baby, and I have a 90% chance of it staying that way. Those are pretty good odds! I'd play the lotto with odds like that. And I also just try to calm myself down by reminding myself that the worrying is normal and that it is only the beginning of a very long time where I'll be worried about this little baby. I think we just can't help but worry sometimes!
    One DD born 9/23/13.
    We're one and done!
  • The 1st trimester is scary, period. You cannot feel the baby yet, some women (like me for example) have to wait til they are 11 weeks before they get their 1st ultrasound, you hear all kinds of loss stories, and you hear about all that can go wrong.

Just try to remember all the things that can (and most very likely will) go right! :) You will have the ultrasound, see that baby, hear the baby's heart beat, the baby will grow and soon youll feel the baby kick and then the baby will be here safe, sound and healthy.

All you can do is take care of yourself and think positive. If you are a woman of faith, pray and have others pray for you. I pray for the baby everyday and my Sunday school group prays for the baby too.

Enjoy your pregnancy, don't worry it away.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am also much, much more worried this time. i didnt even think about it with my first pregnancy, and it went wonderfully. i know this one will probably be fine too, but my best friend had an awful m/c a couple months ago and i think that is what makes me think about it more. also, our bmb has quite a few ladies pgal and reading about it may contribute to the worry? im not sure. just try not to stress!!
  • imageMrsRobinson726:

...but this time around I am paranoid about every little twinge, cramp, bathroom trip, etc.  

Anyways, I know worrying does more bad than good, which is why I'm trying my HARDEST to relax, pray, and try to enjoy every moment.  Anyone else in this same boat?  

Due to my early scares (I'm also 4-5wks) I feel the same way.  This week I just realized to not panic that this is one of our lessons of not having as much control as we want or think and only to focus on the things we can do as mommas.  Part of that is trying to relax and not fret over everything.  I won't lie the spotting sometimes freaks me out but my SO has been great and lets me make gross jokes about it.  

Do something nice for yourself, snuggle up with a really intriguing book or movie, read the boards (this helps me a lot to know many women are facing the same or even different things) and separate the things you can do vs the things you have no power over. My thoughts are with you and know you have a lot of paranoid girls on the same ride with you!  *HUGS*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers   
  • I can assure you, you are not alone! I am 7 weeks with my 2nd baby (have a beautiful, healthy 4 year old son) and I have been a ball of nerves since day 1. In my defense, I was the same way with my son, so perhaps I am just a natural worrier.  This time around I am having a hard time getting excited until I see that little heartbeat on the screen.  Thankfully I only have to wait until Friday to see it.  I'm sure I will be a mess that day, but at this point all we can do is pray and enjoy being pregnant.  The not knowing is the worst part, so we will all get through it together.  Best of luck to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm right with you. I'm an ER nurse. We know and see FAR too much and when it's our turn that's all we tend to think about is all the bad stuff!!! Nothing is going to change it. I've tried. I've lost my first two babies to miscarriages so it's even worse. Just try to keep myself busy and try to keep my mind off the time and whatnot. GL to you!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I could have written this post!  My DD is 18mo and the healthiest pregnancy!  I think it is that we know everything that could go wrong, that we are sure it is going to happen.  I feel like I am comparing everything to last time around, too!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am the same way.
  • Phew!  I feel so much better that I'm not alone!  Thanks girls so much for your replies...made me feel more sane!  Now time to relax....or at least TRY to. Wink
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker image
  • imageAppleMuffins:
    It probably is a matter of knowing too much this time around. When I first found out I was pregnant, I was really worried abut a chemical pregnancy after reading about them. Then when I made it to 6 weeks, I was worried that I would have a blighted ovum, or ectopic, or some other thing that would make my pregnancy totally not viable. Now that I have heard the heartbeat, I'm worried that something else will happen. At first I was reassured and relaxed, but then I read Beyonce's story of her miscarriage and it just got me worried all over again. If I hadn't been reading so many things on it and on the message boards, I don't think it would worry me as much. I try to tell myself that right now I'm pregnant with a healthy baby, and I have a 90% chance of it staying that way. Those are pretty good odds! I'd play the lotto with odds like that. And I also just try to calm myself down by reminding myself that the worrying is normal and that it is only the beginning of a very long time where I'll be worried about this little baby. I think we just can't help but worry sometimes!

I had this same thought a few days ago.  I've had an u/s already and have seen the heartbeat but that was 4 weeks ago.  So now I worry "what it the baby has stopped growing".  And I wonder if that thought would even be crossing my mind if I hadn't read about it happening to others on here.

TTC since July 2012 BFP#1 10/8/12 ~ EDD 6/16/12 ~ m/c 10/15/12 BFP#2 12/29/12 ~ EDD 9/10/13 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Me too.  I am 8 weeks today and for some reason I am so focused on the negative instead of the positive.  Maybe its just hormones. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"