Attachment Parenting
Options

XP: Extending bf - Supply drop in milk....

I posted this on the breastfeeding thread, but I'm not sure that it gets much action. 

I have been tandem nursing a 3-yr old and a 3-month old. The little one has had no nursing issues and has been gaining weight well. The 3-yr old nurses for comfort before bed and in the morning (and after a random fall). I have not had supply issues for 3 years, except the drop when I was pregnant, and he was over 2, so it wasn't a nutritianal worry.

So, the last few days, I've felt like I've had less milk than normal. The little one usually stops nursing before I'm empty, but the last few days, after only a short time, she's done, I feel empty, and she doesn't seem completely satisfied. The older one tells me when there's no milk left and this has happened quicker the last few nights. We usually nurse for 2 songs and then we stop (before I'm empty) but the last few nights he tells me that there's no milk left after about 1-2 min on each side.

I haven't been too worried, let them nurse and milk will increase, right? But it hasn't been. Tonight, the little one is crying with hunger and I'm empty and don't know what to do. When this happened with growth spurts with my older one, I would just let him suckle, but she doesn't want to. She latches and sucks a few times and then bursts into tears. It is so sad and I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Extending bf - Supply drop in milk....

• Options
    Wish I could help mama. Any new food or drink, medications, supplements, etc? Good luck!
  • Options
    Usually I'd say to just nurse and nurse and nurse as much as you can. Is the 3 year old able to understand if you ask him to nurse more and make milk for mommy? Maybe he can help increase your supply for the little one.

Other things you can do are start eating oatmeal for breakfast, make sure you're drinking lots of water, and also make sure you're eating enough calories for nursing.

Good luck! My last bit of advice would be that if you continue to have trouble, look up your local LLL group leader's contact info and give her a call. They have so much knowledge and have really helped me in the past.

Good luck!
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No experience with tandem nursing but my first thought was calories. Try upping your calorie intake, sink lots of water, and I second the suggestion of oatmeal.
  • Options
    No advice, but i just wanted to say that you're amazing for nursing a 3 year old and a 3 month old!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"