February 2013 Moms
Options

Stripping of Membranes

I have my 39 week appointment tomorrow morning, and my doctor mentioned last week that she was going to talk to me about stripping my membranes at this appointment.  I have done some reading online about it, and I am looking for some opinions about what other's experiences have been with this.

Re: Stripping of Membranes

• Options
    I havent had it but ive seen it done i work at a office and it hurts the patient a little have u had a cervix exam?
  • Options
    I had it done on Thursday and it wasn't bad, but I haven't thought internal checks were that painful either. They basically insert a finger through your cervix and run it along where the amniotic sac and the cervix meet, to loosen that connection a little, which hopefully would stimulate labor. It's an uncomfortable and kind of weird feeling, but I didn't feel like it was particularly painful. I had a lot of cramping after having it done and an hour or two of painful contractions, but 3 days later I'm still pregnant, so it didn't work for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had 2 internal exams so far, and last week I was 1 cm and 70% effaced.  The internals that I have had weren't painful, but I did bleed after the first one.
  • Options
    I had it done Wednesday before they sent me to labor and delivery and it hurt. That being said I was 5 cm and contracting but they weren't consistent. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    With my first I had it done at 39w4d and I had her the next day. This time I had it done at 39w5d and went into labor a couple hours later. With my dd I was 3cm and the last time I was 4cm.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to see how far along I am tomorrow morning at my appointment and go from there.
  • Options
    Also you have to be dilated for it to work. I have never had it done since I have never dilated before I go into labor. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

WIth my first pregnancy I had my membranes stripped three times. The third time hurt pretty bad and put me into labor pretty much instantly. I started having contractions every five minutes that progressed/got more intense until I had my son. I wasn't dilated at all when she stripped my membranes- so I don't think you need to be dilated for them to do it?? Or maybe that's why it hurt so bad! lol

With this pregnancy I'm going to see if they'll do it at my 39 week appointment tomorrow. Hoping since I'm already dilated and effaced it will pop me into labor! I'm ready for to meet this baby girl!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"