October 2013 Moms

May not be able to live without.....

Sushi!!!! I'll be fine giving up alcohol, but I might die without sushi. I'm used to having sushi once every 1-2 weeks. I'm already craving it! What will you miss?
BabyFruit Tickerimage

Mr. and Mrs. est. September 6, 2008 Expecting Baby #1 October 1, 2013

Re: May not be able to live without.....

• I love sushi too, but I'm used to not having it too often because it's pricey (for the good stuff).

I miss coffee already. I'm having a cup of decaf in the morning but it's just not the same. I was adding a tiny bit of regular into it but it makes me jittery now.  Other than that, I will miss having a margarita this summer. My husband makes a mean margarita.

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • I've really been craving beer, light beer like coors light. It's just so refreshing. Sushi is also one I miss but luckily had it a day or two before I got my bfp. 

We are going on vaca to Hilton head with my parents in April...I'm going to miss not being ale to have sushi and some fresh fish when there!  

• Loading the player...
  • i am still drinking one cup of coffee a day, but i will miss having my usual 3 or 4!

i also love sushi. last pregnancy if i wanted it bad enough i would just get california rolls or something that was ok to have to i felt like i was eating the real stuff! 

• Hot Dogs and Excedrin Migraine.

Nothing says summer like a hot dog. We have a, locally, famous hot dog stand close by and they are only open in the summer. Going to Cubs games won't be the same without a Chicago Style dog and some Old Style beer either.

Sigh. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Normal poops. I miss them.

• imageKylieCamp13:
    Hot Dogs and Excedrin Migraine. Nothing says summer like a hot dog. We have a, locally, famous hot dog stand close by and they are only open in the summer. Going to Cubs games won't be the same without a Chicago Style dog and some Old Style beer either. Sigh.nbsp;

GO CUBS!

• My oldest is my sushi baby. I was very ill for months with her mild sushi was one of the few things I could keep down. I just made sure I got my stash fresh from a good restaurant that ginger is really what I think was the help not from some grocery premade aisle.
  • I was just saying this to my husband today.  I'm having a real craving for sushi and I don't know how I'm going to make it 9 months without!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had cooked sushi last week. Just check and make sure it is cooked and includes fish that isn't high in mercury. I have had tempura rolls and spider rolls and caterpillar rolls
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Damn am I going to want a Mike's Hard Lemonade, a Daquiri, or even a mudslide when we get to those hot summer nights.

I can always satisfy my sushi cravings with the shrimp tempura (but no scorpion bowl to accompany it =( ).

Baby #2 M/C 4/5/16
  • imageterpchristy:
    Sushi!!!! I'll be fine giving up alcohol, but I might die without sushi. I'm used to having sushi once every 12 weeks. I'm already craving it! What will you miss?

I Love, Love , Love Sushi... and I'm used to having it a lot. But I'm wondering if I can at least have a California roll ?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageterpchristy:
    Sushi!!!! I'll be fine giving up alcohol, but I might die without sushi. I'm used to having sushi once every 12 weeks. I'm already craving it! What will you miss?

I Love, Love , Love Sushi... and I'm used to having it a lot. But I'm wondering if I can at least have a California roll ?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageterpchristy:
    Sushi!!!! I'll be fine giving up alcohol, but I might die without sushi. I'm used to having sushi once every 12 weeks. I'm already craving it!

What will you miss?

Oops!!! I meant every 1 to 2 weeks! 12 weeks is not often at all :
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Get the cooked stuf f - or the veggie stuff. Many rolls at my place can be made with things that aren't raw. I know it's not the same but could satisfy a craving in a pinch!

imageimage

Olivia and Matilda, 09/10/201 - Graham, 10/01/2013

• imagechuicafina:
    I love sushi too, but I'm used to not having it too often because it's pricey for the good stuff. I miss coffee already. I'm having a cup of decaf in the morning but it's just not the same. I was adding a tiny bit of regular into it but it makes me jittery now.nbsp; Other than that, I will miss having a margarita this summer. My husband makes a mean margarita.

Oh I will miss margaritas too : we will have to find a good mockarita!

I am very lucky in that we have an excellent sushi place nearby that is very fresh and only 4 for spicy tuna and most other rolls. It's amazing : we also have a great lunch buffet place that's 12 for all you can eat. Ughhhh this will be tough. Cali and Shrimp tempura rolls just aren't the same.
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

• Deli meat. And before you said "it's ok in moderation", I don't eat deli meat when pregnant. The listeria risk isn't worth it to me. I actually rarely eat it when I'm not pregnant, but for some reason I seem to crave cold sandwiches when pregnant. 

I love sushi, but I did ok with that last time. It was, however, my first post-baby meal. 

• Caffeine in general.   I work 30 hours a week while attending grad school full time (this is my last semester thank goodness).   I know a little caffeine is alright but not the amount I was used to!!. 
  • The thought of sushi sort of grosses me out currently, but I used to LOVE it. If I ever craved it I would be okay to go to a reputable place since I would be confident it was prepared properly.

Regarding mercury content, I wouldn't restrict myself with types of sushi [personally] and would just eat what I like: usually California rolls, smoked salmon maki or nigiri and tuna nigiri are my favorites. I'm not concerned that a sushi outing once or twice in 9 months with 4 pieces of each is going to be enough mercury to do harm, and things would be different if I was eating sushi a few times a week.

[The mayo in the California rolls is what'll get ya. :P]

I love dipping it in my soya sauce/wasabi combo but there is so much salt in the soya sauce that I've stayed away because it makes me feel gross.
  • I'm such a bad pregnant person.  Week 6 and I've already had sushi, deli meat, and a corndog.  Sushi wasn't raw, deli meat was heated up, and I wasn't really thinking about the corndog!  Ugh!

But alcohol is def the hardest.  I've had other pregnant friends that say they never even wanted it while pregnant.  Well, I do.  And H's Corona smells damn good.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagecitygirl17:
    Damn am I going to want a Mike's Hard Lemonade, a Daquiri, or even a mudslide when we get to those hot summer nights.

Oh lordy, me too.

• Summer drinking: beer festivals, wineries, and the like. I am good with not drinking now but I'm going to be sad when I can't drink in the summer.

Also we're going to a hockey game in a few weeks. It will just feel wrong not to have a beer. 

Married my love 8-25-12 TTC #1 September 2012. BFP 2-2-13. DS born 10-16-13.
    TTC #2 in December 2014. BFP 12-31-14. Expecting a September baby!
  • Wine and beer. I've had some N/A beers here and there with dinner and last night we went out with friends and I had one at the bar. I've actually had a few that were tasty-Clausthaler (German) and Kaliber (Irish, made by Guinness). Still looking for a good N/A wine...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • +1 for Excedrin!

Just got back from sushi lunch! Of course, it wasn't the usual sashimi-fest I usually have. I had a california roll, veggie handroll, edamame and miso soup. I may have some more adventurous types in the future from a joint I'm a regular at and that I know and trust. I think we tend to be a little overzealous on the sushi warnings in the US...to each her own though, of course.

That's about it though. I'm still so elated that nothing seems too painful to avoid. That may change in the future though! 

• imageKylieCamp13:

Hot Dogs and Excedrin Migraine.

Nothing says summer like a hot dog. We have a, locally, famous hot dog stand close by and they are only open in the summer. Going to Cubs games won't be the same without a Chicago Style dog and some Old Style beer either.

Sigh. 

hot dogs are ok to eat if they're fully cooked. 
  • Sushi, wine and extra cups of coffee!
  • Definitely beer. I had a couple glasses of wine in third tri last time. It sucks being snowed in with no booze tho.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I won't really stop anything this time the only changes I make is staying away from artificial sweetner, drinking only one cup of coffee a day.  I still eat sushi but not the raw kind.  I don't like it anyway.  
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • Summer drinks and hot tubs!
  • imagefavoriteblessings:
    Summer drinks and hot tubs!

Hot tubs! Forgot about those... :( And I'm missing out on snowboarding season. 

• I'll still be eating sushi. I'm just more picky about where I get it from when I'm pregnant.

I think I'll miss wine the most. I know some people say that a glass or two is okay, but it freaks me out. I don't know why! haha

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecomeongetdown:
    imageRunningGal900:

Deli meat. And before you said "it's ok in moderation", I don't eat deli meat when pregnant. The listeria risk isn't worth it to me. I actually rarely eat it when I'm not pregnant, but for some reason I seem to crave cold sandwiches when pregnant. 

I love sushi, but I did ok with that last time. It was, however, my first post-baby meal. 

You can get listeria easier from fresh produce than you can from deli meat.  I'm not telling you to eat the deli meat (I don't eat deli meat, just because I choose not to), I'm just throwing that out there.

Also, to the hot dog person, you can eat those as long as their cooked to steaming, which they will be if they're worth anything.  Boil that wiener, honey! Wink

I know that. I wash my fruit the best that I can and follow safe food handling practices. To the extent that I can eliminate a potential source of listeria, I do, so I opt not to eat lunch meat.  

• imagecomeongetdown:
    imageRunningGal900:

Deli meat. And before you said "it's ok in moderation", I don't eat deli meat when pregnant. The listeria risk isn't worth it to me. I actually rarely eat it when I'm not pregnant, but for some reason I seem to crave cold sandwiches when pregnant. 

You can get listeria easier from fresh produce than you can from deli meat.  I'm not telling you to eat the deli meat (I don't eat deli meat, just because I choose not to), I'm just throwing that out there.

Also, to the hot dog person, you can eat those as long as their cooked to steaming, which they will be if they're worth anything.  Boil that wiener, honey! Wink

My issues with hot dogs are the nitrates. Which can not be determined to be fully removed by boiling. I could in a chem lab, but not my kitchen. haha! The melting point is significantly high. I don't eat them often or even purchase packaged ones. Just like them now and then in the summer.

Since I can't be absolutely sure that a vendor has cooked them to a degree to remove them, I pass. Not worth it to me.
  • imageterpchristy:
    imagechuicafina:
    I love sushi too, but I'm used to not having it too often because it's pricey for the good stuff. I miss coffee already. I'm having a cup of decaf in the morning but it's just not the same. I was adding a tiny bit of regular into it but it makes me jittery now.nbsp; Other than that, I will miss having a margarita this summer. My husband makes a mean margarita.
    Oh I will miss margaritas too : we will have to find a good mockarita! I am very lucky in that we have an excellent sushi place nearby that is very fresh and only 4 for spicy tuna and most other rolls. It's amazing : we also have a great lunch buffet place that's 12 for all you can eat. Ughhhh this will be tough. Cali and Shrimp tempura rolls just aren't the same.

You let me know if you find a good mockarita. Drinks

Also, $4 for spicy tuna rolls is amazing. I need a sushi restaurant like that nearby!

My food & craft blog: Fraises et Tartines

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2: 9/29/12; EDD 6/8/2013; m/c 10/5/2012

BFP#3: 1/29/13; EDD 10/5/2013 - Baby Claire arrived 10/6/2013
  • Iced tea! I have to start drinking decaffeinated.. yuck!
  • imageyesthisiskim0401:
    Normal poops. I miss them.

We seriously need to be best friends. I just snorted into my coffee.

I totally agree on missing normal poops too. And ibuprofen. 

BFP#1: 08/30/12 EDD 04/30/12 m/c 09/04/12 6wks
    BFP#2: 01/27/13 EDD 10/06/13 missed m/c 02/25/13 9wks
    BFP#3: 10/30/13 EDD 07/05/14 Our little dude was born on 07/10/14 @ 2:19p <3

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"