February 2013 Moms

NBR: Recommend a TV series

DH and I do not have cable - just rabbit ears that get a few stations.  But I never watch TV because I can't stand commercials.  I do, however, love getting old TV shows on DVD and watching an entire series.  Over the last two years I have watched all of Little House on the Prairie, the Waltons, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, The West Wing, Big Love, LOST and I'm working my way through Friday Night Lights right now.  I'm looking for a new show for when I'm done with FNL.  Whenever I have a baby I enjoy going to bed early and popping in a DVD for the first few months.

So, you can see my taste in TV shows.  I'm not one for a bunch of sex and violence and stuff like that.  I prefer that the series has already ended, because I need closure and it would drive me crazy to watch a few seasons of a show and have to wait a year to watch the next one. 

Any ideas?

Re: NBR: Recommend a TV series

• I've been watching Macgyver religiously! Lol but that might not be your style. If you have wireless, you should think about getting a Roku or Apple TV. We don't have any TV other than that and we love it! There are a lot if old shows as well as new and I'm sure you'd be able to find something you like!
    BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image From the poster formally known as mghalpert
  • Gilmore Girls is a classic in my book
  • Loading the player...
  • I have loved Downton Abbey.  I have been able to get all three seasons from my library.  There are a lot of great BBC series out there. 

Do you guys get Netflix?  It's $8 a month and you can watch entire series of old shows from your TV through a Blu Ray player or Playstation-type device. 

SAHM to DD1 (7), DS (5) and DD2 (1)
  • I second this! Downton Abbey is a great one!
  • Definitely agree with Gilmore Girls.

If you like Sit-Coms (most of your shows listed were dramas)...I love Friends and The Cosby Show. 

There was a list online that recommended The West Wing, Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, Frasier, and The Wonder Years.

imageimageimage
  • If you're an Amazon Prime member, you can watch stuff online for free, I just hook up the laptop to the TV. They have a lot of the "Party of Five" seasons... I <3 the 90's.

Also, I think some networks show their shows online, like ABC, but they are the newer ones.

I don't have cable but I do have Amazon Prime and Netflix, and between the two I can find enough to watch. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Arrested Development is really pretty funny, if you have kind of an off sense of humor. It took me a little bit, but I got into it. 30 Rock is really, really funny, and it's over now, but not out entirely on DVD yet. I have also heard rave reviews about Sherlock, on BBC.

DH and I are watching The West Wing right now, actually. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Two of my all-time favorite series are The West Wing and FNL.  I really wish FNL was still on. 

I loved House (just wrapped last year - the first five seasons are the best), and, although it was very short-lived, Pushing Daisies (two seasons) - it's very quirky and fantastical.  Community is currently in it's last season but the first three are out on DVD - it's another quirky commedy.  I thought Boston Public was a great show, although I will admit I was 16 when it first started so it might not be as great as I remember (LOL).  Scrubs is hilarious.  So is My Name Is Earl.  And I have always, always loved I Love Lucy.

Not sure how you feel about reality TV, but Project Runway (when it was on Bravo, not Lifetime) and Top Chef are two of my favorites.

• imagealmostjennifer:

Do you guys get Netflix?  It's $8 a month and you can watch entire series of old shows from your TV through a Blu Ray player or Playstation-type device. 

Everyone keeps telling us we need to get Netflix.  DH and I are seriously stuck in the dark ages.  We don't even have texting on our phones or use facebook.  I actually still watch some VHS tapes Embarrassed

• Downton Abbey for sure. Also, Mad Men is exceptional. There is a lot of sex though, but it is a period show (takes place in the ad agency world in the 1950-1960s.) The clothing, the weaving in of historical references, writing, is phenomal.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Army Wives is really good- there are like 110 episodes available on Netflix.  You guys should definitely get it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 1. Road to Avonlea, one of my favorite series. I think you'd like it.

2. Agatha Christie's Poirot, a great BBC show with well constructed mysteries and endearing characters.

3. Moonlighting, Classic "dramedy". Can you tell I like mystery stories?

4. The Adventures of Pete and Pete, one of the kids shows from back in the day that is intelligent enough for adults to enjoy.

5. Curb Your Enthusiasm, an HBO comedy series either you love it or you hate it.

6. The Jack Benny Program, I'm going to narrow my love of classic tv down to just one series recommendation.

As a movie, radio program and TV show buff (who strangely doesn't own a TV but watches online and on a projector hooked to DVD and VHS), I have a very long list of well-made shows for recommendation, but if you haven't seen it I really should have just stopped at Road to Avonlea.

All the links are to the Wikipedia pages so you could read all about the shows for yourself, the links open in new windows for your convenience.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Doctor Who!! You can start with the newer versions, if that helps, which it does for many. The great thing is you can pick up anywhere and you can make it through without knowing a ton about the show. I'm a David Tennant (11th Doctor) fanatic, but the newest Doctor is growing on me! It's not a complete series, but it's been around 50 years, so I doubt that will change any time soon... Plus there is plenty to keep you busy! If you like Doctor Who, you might also like the spinoff - Torchwood. It is a complete series, and you don't have to have a definite background in Doctor Who, but it helps here and there.

• image+adamwife+:
    imagealmostjennifer:

Everyone keeps telling us we need to get Netflix.  DH and I are seriously stuck in the dark ages.  We don't even have texting on our phones or use facebook.  I actually still watch some VHS tapes Embarrassed

I applaud you for this.  I am so technology dependant that I just upgraded our wireless so I can watch TV from everywhere in our house on my laptop when necessary.  It's truly pathetic.  I wish I had the will power that you do!!

• Parenthood is awesome but still airing.  Brothers & Sisters was good too.  Loved The Guardian.  I LOVE Burn Notice, In Plain Sight, Suits, White Collar (all USA, some on netflix, most still airing - BN & IPS might be too much violence).  I have Doctor Who, Numb3rs, HawthoRNe, Charmed (watched this when it was on) and The West Wing on my netflix queue to watch on leave.  Scandal is only in its second season, but it's freaking crazy and constantly surprises me.  It has some sex, but it's so good.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you liked Lost, you might like Buffy. It's one of my favorite shows of all time, and it's available on Netflix streaming too. I also think you might like Gilmore Girls. That was a really fun show.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • imageHeartstrings13:
    Doctor Who!! You can start with the newer versions, if that helps, which it does for many. The great thing is you can pick up anywhere and you can make it through without knowing a ton about the show. I'm a David Tennant (11th Doctor) fanatic, but the newest Doctor is growing on me! It's not a complete series, but it's been around 50 years, so I doubt that will change any time soon... Plus there is plenty to keep you busy! If you like Doctor Who, you might also like the spinoff - Torchwood. It is a complete series, and you don't have to have a definite background in Doctor Who, but it helps here and there.

I would also agree with this. Doctor Who is just awesome. Also, I love David Tennant. :)

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • Thanks for all of the suggestions, ladies!  There are so many that I don't know what to pick.  I may start with Road to Avonlea and go from there.

DH is a huge Doctor Who fan, but only the fourth doctor.  One of my kids was actually Tom Baker for Halloween a few years ago.  lol  I keep trying to talk DH into watching some of the new seasons, so maybe this will be a good chance!

Thanks again.  I want to watch them all now!

• I just want to echo previous suggestions for Gilmore Girls and Doctor Who!  Both are so good! 

I've also mentioned in another thread my passionate love of The Adventures of Pete and Pete.  It's actually a kids' TV show that aired on Nickelodeon in the early-mid 90s.  It's quirky and weird and wonderful, and I appreciate it even more as an adult than I did as a kid.  It's fun spotting all the guest stars that I didn't recognize the first time around, and since it was meant for kids it's low on the sex/violence factor - although the writers did like to push the envelope and see what they could slip under the radar, so there is quite a bit of subtle adult humor in there. 

Only seasons 1 and 2 are available on DVD, season 3 is all packaged in a warehouse somewhere, ready to go but unable to be sold due to some copyright issue (booooo), but you can track down those episodes on YouTube without too much trouble.

• Lurking, but wow your taste in shows is identical to mine haha! I've watched every one of those all the way through!!! I'd recommend Downton Abbey, except that series is still going. I'd also recommend Bones, my absolute favorite!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageasoetenga:
    image+adamwife+:
    imagealmostjennifer:

Do you guys get Netflix?&nbsp; It's $8 a month and&nbsp;you can watch entire series of old shows from your TV through a Blu Ray player or Playstation-type device.&nbsp;

Everyone keeps telling us we need to get Netflix.&nbsp; DH and I are seriously stuck in the dark ages.&nbsp; We don't even have texting on our phones or use facebook.&nbsp; I actually still watch some VHS tapes Embarrassed

I applaud you for this.&nbsp; I am so technology dependant that I just upgraded our wireless so I can watch TV from everywhere in our house on my laptop when necessary.&nbsp; It's truly pathetic.&nbsp; I wish I had the will power that you do!!

This is me too! I was in school ft when dd was really small, was also a single mom until dh and I met married. I am so guilty of using the electronic babysitter on homework nights! That said, I graduated with my Bachelors in April 2012, and expect to get my Masters December 2013.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• imageSidraJedi:

5. Curb Your Enthusiasm, an HBO comedy series either you love it or you hate it.

love it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Six Feet Under was one of my favorite series on Showtime. DH got me the series on DVD for my birthday a few years back and I watch all of it every so often (takes me about 2-3 months, lol.)

Mad Men is also a wonderful series that I am working my way through right now. It is still on the air, but there are currently 5 seasons available. 

How to Make It In America was a favorite of DH. Great music and neat little story. this went only 3 seasons before it abruptly ended. He is still very upset about this.

Brothers and Sisters was a neat show, too. I liked that one a lot.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"