February 2013 Moms

Recommend your dark beer

I'm thinking I'd like to try a dark beer a day to hopefully help my milk come in.  With DS it took 5 days, which I know is in the normal range, but he lost a lot of weight and his jaundice got worse and it caused me some stress. I figure it can't hurt anyways. As I don't normally drink dark beer, I was hoping someone had a recommendation. Something that is as natural as possible/ no additives if that's possible. I think its the hops that helps. Do all dark beer have hops?  Does the bottle just say "dark beer" lol... clueless!!  TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Recommend your dark beer

• what you want is a good yeasty hoppy beer.  I good IPA or an unfiltered belgin beer.  Unfiltered it important because the yeast is one of the big factors, they are usually light to medium bodied not dark.  Some yummy belgium beers out there. 
  • I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all beer is made with hops ;)  I can't help you with the super-natural beer preference... I'm sure they exist, but I've never had any. I imagine the closer to organic you get, the higher the price. I like Fat Tire, though I'm not sure if that counts as super dark - but it's tasty. I have a friend who likes Brother Theolonus, 1554 and Dogfish head 60 minute IPA a whole lot. Those are all way too heavy for my taste, personally. You also might try Convict Hill Oatmeal Stout. 

The downside is that darker beers tend to be pricier (at least from what I've seen). Also, don't be afraid to ask someone working at the store where you buy. They'll be able to steer you toward the good, dark ones :)  I'd never heard of beer helping your milk come in... Go figure.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesecondaryPULSE:
    Guinness, for sure. =P

Yes

Beer

They actually used to recommend it for pregnant women because of the iron content.  Maybe I need one tonight too.  Wink

• I second a PP's recommendation of 1554 and Fat Tire.  I also like Dogfish Head. I'm not sure about the natural/no additives part though.  If you go to a small store, the staff is always so helpful and can point you in the right direction.  In my experience, Trader Joe's has knowledgeable staff when it comes to beer, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • all beer has hops in it, it's just the level of hoppyness, usually the more hoppy the beer the higher the IBU  (the unit to measure bitterness to the higher the hops, the more bitter the beer).  Both the yeast and the hops can help increase milk production. 
  • I might have an alternative suggestion for you. My DD latched improperly the first day in the hospital causing my  nipples sores and hurt. So I had to pump colostrum for her while in the hospital. I used the medela hospital pump and we fed her with a syringe. I delivered her on a Wed at 6:30pm and my milk came in (AKA my boobs were huge and hurt) friday night after we came home from the hospital. I continued to pump and was finally able to nurse her (with pain) sunday. Maybe you want to try pumping in addition to nursing while in the hospital, just a suggestion.

• imageTygrlily5:
    I second a PP's recommendation of 1554 and Fat Tire.  I also like Dogfish Head. I'm not sure about the natural/no additives part though.  If you go to a small store, the staff is always so helpful and can point you in the right direction.  In my experience, Trader Joe's has knowledgeable staff when it comes to beer, too.

1554 is my go-to it is not as thick as Guiness but it tastes better from a bottle than Guiness does (Guiness is great from tap!). All New Belgium beers are good and are medium priced.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like black butte porter, it is dark but does not taste too dark:)
  • Young's Double Chocolate Stout or Left Hand Milk Stout are my faves. And yes, they have a chocolate flavor to them which is aaaaaaaawesome.

They won't say "dark beer" on the bottle because its kind of obvious if you look at them. But the classes of beers that tend to be dark are stouts and porters. Not everyone likes really hoppy beer so some IPAs might not be tasty. I can't drink Dogfish 60 minute, it's too hoppy for me.

If you have any kind of craft beer store in your area I would go there and ask for recommendations. Or just try Guinness, although I agree it's much better on draft, as are most beers.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"