January 2013 Moms

formula recommendations

We've begun to supplement BM with formula bc of my supply. We have some sample cans of both enfamil and similac. Currently we're using a can of enfamil specifically for newborns. Not sure if I should use the other cans when this is gone... there are 4 different types. I'm very "formula dumb"...

Question 1... can you just switch formulas or do you need to transition them?

Question 2... which formula brand and type would you recommend? Obviously we want a good one, but are there any that are close to actual breast milk? I am pumping a lot and trying to build up my supply, so I'd love one that's close...

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: formula recommendations

• I am in basically the exact same situation. We have been using Enfamil formula that is ready to go, you don't add anything. They say for the first two weeks of life that is the best one cuz it has the least options for being contaminated with germs and bacteria, you just open the bottle and it's ready to go.

If you need any advice or suggestions on how to increase your supply just let me know, I have been doing EVERYTHING and I'm starting to see some results.

Diagonsed PCOS TTC since May 2009
    First M/C December 2010 Second M/C August 2011
    Oct 2011~Second round clomid 50 mg; BFN
    Nov 2011~Third round clomid 50 mg: BFP
    Dec 11- Beta #1 91;Dec 13- Beta #2 186.2
    Dec 27- third miscarriage
    May 25th- Beta #1 369;May 27th- Beta #2 798
    Baby girl born Jan 23, 9lbs 3oz, 21 1/2" long
    May 27th-Beta #1 80; May 29th- Beta #2 304; May 31st- Beta #3 860
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We had a few similac bottles that were ready to go, but when they ran out we began a can of enfamil premium newborn stuff.

Yes please give me tips on increasing supply! I'm desperate and get so excited when I can pump what I consider a good amount... and really sad when I can't...

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • First off, check out the website kellymom,com. She has AMAZING suggestions on how to pump, how to store breast milk, there are even websites dedicated to support groups for women who EP

Try a power pump once a day. That is when you set aside an hour (usually good when SO is home so they can hold baby) and you pump for 10 minutes, rest for 10, pump for ten etc until the hour is up. I find it helpful to put on a movie and just do that cycle throughout the whole movie.

Keep hydrated and make sure you eat at least 1800 calories a day (or somewhere around there)

Try herbs, I'm currently taking fenugreek, blessed thistle and domperidone. (you will need a prescription for that) Also for fenugreek the recommended daily dose on the bottle is usually not enough to increase supply. My capsules are 610 mg and I take 3 pills 3 times daily. My bottle suggests only 2 pills 3 times daily. When you start to smell like maple syrup you have enough fenugreek in you.

Lactation cookies, I had a good friend of mine send me a link for cookies. They are quite tasty. She suggested eating 4 a day,

https://www.drmomma.org/2010/08/lactation-cookies-recipe-increasing.html

edit: fix typo

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We use Similac. Whatever you pick you should really stay with. You should not switch unless your LO has an issue with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageartroyer:
    We had a few similac bottles that were ready to go, but when they ran out we began a can of enfamil premium newborn stuff. Yes please give me tips on increasing supply! I'm desperate and get so excited when I can pump what I consider a good amount... and really sad when I can't...

I know what you mean about how good you feel when you have a good pump. Remember that you pump the most in the early morning, so make sure when your LO gets up to eat in the middle of the night that you get a good pumping session in.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I look forward to the day when I can pump enough for my baby girl. But remember every bit of breast milk that you give your LO is a good thing. Don't stress, you are doing a good job! And your a good mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are using Gerber Smooth for gassiness with our LO. The Enfamil newborn we started her on resulted in epic spit ups and screaming because of gas. I've always heard that Gerber was the closest to breast milk, but I have no verification of this.
    photo 531db2b9-4d83-4d72-a50b-074d44f8cd51_zps7e3cb247.jpg
  • Just try and whatever your LO reacts well to stick with. You're not supposed to switch around unless you have to it can mess with their tiny tummies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am supplementing as well due to low supply. I have tried everything but my supply is not picking up and its not a fun feeling but I have come to terms with this already. I BF and formula feed almost every feeding. We have been using Enfamil both powder and ready to feed but started LO on enfamil genltease today due to gas. I am going to try the gentlease powder unit our 1 month appt next week. If he is still in pain then I am going to speak to the doc and look at switching to something else.

I am going to look at Gerber if necessary as pp suggested.  

• I would not switch back and forth just because you have sample cans. I'd try to use one brand and stick with it every time. My pediatrician recommended Enfamil Newborn up until 3 months and then said we will switch to something else. What did your doctor recommend (I'd ask if you haven't already).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • Sorry for butting in.  Do you by chance belong to a wholesale club?  We belong to BJ's and with our son we had heard great things about their brand of formula.  I was hesitant to try it because the only thing that made me feel even worse when nursing didn't work out was the thought of giving my child generic formula BUT the stuff was great!  My son was the least fussy on it.  The can is at least twice the size of name brand cans and only 21 dollars.  It's honestly worth trying out.
  • Also, I plan to use our samples first unless our child seems fussy when we switch.  I may also just use one scoop of the sample and the rest the BJ brand.  No use letting it go to waste.  I think some kids are extra sensitive but I think most of the hype about not switching has to do with the companies trying to build brand loyalty.
  • U R supposed to transition over the course of 4-5 days when you change formula.  Find a brand that works & stick to it so your babies tum isn't upset.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"