Pregnant after 35

Retroverted/tilted uterus: did you feel it move to middle/forward position?

20-30% of women have a tilted uterus and I am one of them. I read that the tilted uterus moves to the middle/forward position sometime between 10-13 weeks of pregnancy. I am 10 weeks and wondering what to expect. 

In case anyone else is thinking about this, there are some exercises to help it: https://www.livestrong.com/article/468983-exercises-for-a-retroverted-uterus/

and your doctor can help push it to middle if it ever causes problems. Apparently, it can put pressure on the urethra and make it hard to empty your bladder if it does not move forward soon enough. ...though, you could put your chest to your knees while peeing if this is a problem. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Retroverted/tilted uterus: did you feel it move to middle/forward position?

• I have a retroverted/tilted uterus and I did not feel it move.  Before I got pregnant, I went for a Mayan abdominal massage to get it moved into a better position.  Yes, that was a $500 scam.  I really doubt that the excercises help either.  Also, it does not just flip one day.  It moves gradually as your uterus grown. Putting your chest to your knees does help with urination.  The position of my uterus has not caused me any complications during this pregnancy.  It would probably have had the urination problems regardless because of bladder surgeries that I have had.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a very tilted uterus, I definately didn't feel it move at all but for me vaginal ultrasounds are always very uncomfortable because of the ackward angle so I was happy once we were able to switch to transabdominal. My OB said it's very rare for a women's uterus to not move into the right place on it's own.
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I have a retroverted uterus, and no one ever commented that it was difficult to hear/see the baby, so I am assuming it righted itself easily enough. I think I read somewhere that the weight/mass of the baby alone will move it into proper position by about 16 weeks. It did help to lean over for better bladder emptying, though. I'd say this is a non-issue.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • When this pregnancy started, I had a retroverted uterus that was also way off to the left side somewhere, to the point where they couldn't even feel it during a normal pelvic exam!  I blame my c-section since it was never that way before.  By 9 weeks or so it had shifted to the middle.  I didn't feel it move.  My OB also said that it typically will move into the correct position as it grows.  
    Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • Thanks ladies! At 8wk OB appt, mine was still retro...maybe at 12 weeks it will be forward. I've always had a retro uterus. So I wonder if I will notice different pressure against my other organs. LOL...probably will be hard to discern in the midst of a pregnant uterus. 
  • imageRedLucia:
    Thanks ladies! At 8wk OB appt, mine was still retro...maybe at 12 weeks it will be forward. I've always had a retro uterus. So I wonder if I will notice different pressure against my other organs. LOL...probably will be hard to discern in the midst of a pregnant uterus. 

It moves from the weight of the new contents in your uterus. At 8 weeks you little tiny fetus and placenta don't weigh enough to readjust the uterus.

BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for asking and getting the answers :) I too have one of these fancy uteruses. I wonder if that is why it's been hard to find the baby with the doppler too? It's further back than if the uterus was in it's normal position...
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• I have one too. Last pregnancy the only issue I had was they couldn't do the CVS test on me.
                                                     imageimage
                                        Lilypie - (JNST)image
                                         Lilypie - (aqIx)
  • I have one too.  I haven't felt any movement.  I'll be glad when it does "right" itself.  I'm so tired for transvaginal ultrasounds. 
  • I have a retroverted uterus which actually moved at one point in the middle of a trans-vag u/s before I got pregnant.

Then, when I got pregnant, it eventually "righted" itself but I never felt it. It just did what it did.
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Tilted is a more general term, they can be anteverted or retroverted. And there are different degrees to how tilted they are.

It is a totally common about 25 and natural variation.

I often had diarrhea when I would start my period due to this cramps in the uterus spread to intestines...

Now I've had a couple of horrible days of constipation and some lower back pain. My guess is the back pain was prior to the move forward and cone of the pain/constipation was due to either my uterus or the fibroids pushing on my large intestine as the uterus was growing up but before it flipped into the right position.
    TTC since Feb 2012. Me: 39, DH: 37
    BFP #1 5/27/12- m/c 7/9/12 @ 10w2d (cytotec induced @11w).
    Fibroids, Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism
    BFP #2 11/18/12  EDD 7/27/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image2MamazInSeattle:
    Thanks for asking and getting the answers :) I too have one of these fancy uteruses. I wonder if that is why it's been hard to find the baby with the doppler too? It's further back than if the uterus was in it's normal position...

Yes, that is probably why. My OB got a really crummy reading with the doppler at 8 weeks because of the backward tilt. So she switched to the transvaginal wand instead. 

• I have/had a retroverted uterus.  My doctor wasn't able to find my baby's heartbeat with a doppler until my 16 week appointment, and for my initial dating ultrasound, the tech needed to use the vaginal wand to be able to find anything.  I didn't feel it move forward, but I did notice that over a few days, I was suddenly showing.  I had some constipation problems in my first tri.  That's pretty typical though, so I can't necessarily blame it on my uterus.  No related issues since then.
  • imageRedLucia:
    Thanks ladies! At 8wk OB appt, mine was still retro...maybe at 12 weeks it will be forward. I've always had a retro uterus. So I wonder if I will notice different pressure against my other organs. LOL...probably will be hard to discern in the midst of a pregnant uterus. 

Either way, your uterus eventually takes up your entire abdominal space and then some, and all the other organs gets pushed aside anyways.  So I doubt you will notice anything different than you would have otherwise. ;) 

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • True That Technigirl!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"