3rd Trimester

JUST found out and in the 3rd trimester!!!

I just found out i was having a baby 3 weeks ago. and i just enter my 33 week yesterday.  This is my first child and We dont have any time to go to parenting classes or birthing classes. (I got to go to the doctor 3-4 times a week) Is there any videos OR artices to read to help with this.

Please Help

Thanks

Angie

Re: JUST found out and in the 3rd trimester!!!

• Do you mind me asking how it took so long to find out? I absolutely believe it can happen, it's just not very common obviously. 

Do you have the option of taking online childbirth classes that can fit into your schedule? I think this depends a lot on what type of birth you're hoping to have as well. If you're planning a med free birth you're going to want to look into different materials than if you're planning to get medication.

I really like being signed up for the weekly updates (this can be done through the Bump, Babycenter, What to Expect etc). 

Good luck with everything and welcome!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, welcome to the bump. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. 

ETA: I have ordered a few books through amazon based on the recommendations of other moms and moms-to-be here.

No Cry Sleep Solution

What to expect the first year

Happiest Baby on the Block (which is also available as a short DVD that I thought was useful)

Secrets of the Baby Whisperer

BabyName Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I never took birthing classes with my first, and I found out well before my 3rd trimester. 

I'd start researching the kind of birth that you want, if you have a preference. Do you want to go med-free? Look into Bradley method and hypnobirthing. 

Your hospital should offer small parenting classes that are just a class or two. Usually this is newborn care and things like that. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I never had any signs really no weight gain no morning sickness no nothing.  I've always had werid cycles as all the women in my family does. Nothing for 3 to 4 months then i'll have it for a week.  And i did get my cycle for 3 days VERY light in Oct. so i never thought anything of it.

I'll most likely have a reg birth.  I'm a High Risk and all my doctors think its for the best for me and him.

• You definitely don't need birthing classes or any type of class.  I never had them, and had no problem delivering or breastfeeding any of my kids.

Good luck. 

Wyatt 3.21.07 Grant 8.29.09 Ross 9.21.11 Pregnancy Ticker
  • Whoa! Congrats. Thats a lot to take in in a short amount of time! 

You tube has a lot of videos you can watch. Also the babycenter.com has some good videos that I have watched. They are helpful. 

• I felt butterflys/heartbeats in my belly. SOOO....i was like hmmm..And took the test.  and sure enough

Angie

• Congrats!!!

I hope that all is well considering it is so late in the game. I hope that LO and you are both ok.

I also agree with the PPs that parenting classes aren't a must. However, by totally not expecting this I bet you feel like you need all the info you can get. As someone mentioned before see if your hospital offers an online course. 

• Congratulations, what a shock!  If you're set on childbirth classes I know that depending on where you are some can be fast-tracked (ie: 2 Saturday classes from 9am-4pm and you're done).  If you're just looking for more information definitely head to the library or talk to your doctor's about what free resources you can tap in to.  Best of luck!
  • Well I got 3 books and my family got me more. But being that he's my first I'm worry bout droping the baby(I know that sounds dumb) and how to BF baby.  How to bath the baby.  My hubby says it will all come natural. and i shouldnt worry bout it.  He works 12+ hrs a day/7 days a week.  We really dont got the $$ for him to take much time off.  So i'm worry bout being home with baby for that long. 

I know much of this sounds dumb. I'm just worried

Angie

• imageangieeaton:

Well I got 3 books and my family got me more. But being that he's my first I'm worry bout droping the baby(I know that sounds dumb) and how to BF baby.  How to bath the baby.  My hubby says it will all come natural. and i shouldnt worry bout it.  He works 12+ hrs a day/7 days a week.  We really dont got the $$ for him to take much time off.  So i'm worry bout being home with baby for that long. 

I know much of this sounds dumb. I'm just worried

Angie

For breastfeeding I would recommend reading The Nursing Woman's Companion. I would also suggest seeing if there is a local LLL group in your area and if so I would attend a meeting while pregnant to get more comfortable and get your questions answered. Once you're in the hospital make sure that you get help from a lactation consultant if you need it.

Most of the things you described are things that you just need to figure out when they come. There are so many different opinions out there on everything that you generally just have to figure out what works for your baby. Do you have a support system (mom, sister, friends) who can help you learn some of the more basic childcare tasks? I know a lot of hospitals offer a quick one day class on how to take care of babies, which could be helpful if those are your fears.  

• If you want a nice overview that you can watch from the comfort of your own home try Sheri Bayles Laugh & Learn About Childbirth.  She leans a bit more towards natural childbirth options but covers everything.  She also has one on breast feeding and another on baby care.  I didn't love the BF and baby care videos but I thought the Childbirth one was informative and watched it twice (I think it's about 4.5 hrs total).  You can "rent" the videos online (I think you get access to them for about 3 months), you can buy the DVDs through her website or Amazon, or you can borrow them from the Library.  I went for the latter and it took me about a month to get them because there were multiple holds on the multiple copies the library had. 

Oh and some hospitals offer their birthing classes online for as little as $50.  You might want to see if any local hospitals have that option.

Congrats and Good Luck!

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Thanks for all the advice. My mother has really been here for me but she said i'm her baby and i'm 26. So her thing is alot of things she did when i was a baby they changed or say dont do now. so she doesnt think she got alot of good advice.

Thanks for all the tips and advice

Thanks

Angie

• I would read the "What to Expect When Expecting/1st Year", "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding," and "Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth." 

These books I would say include pretty basic information and common sense stuff. The "Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth" is pro-med free, however it has tons of helpful information about birthing in general.  Even if you get an epidural or c-section it is useful information with lots of birth stories. 

I can email you a list of all the things you need to register or buy for the baby etc.. if you would like.  BRU obviously also has a list to work off of.

Just troll around these boards and read, read, read!!  At least try to do a hospital tour if you can.  They are free and usually on weeknights so you know what to expect at your hospital.

Good luck and try not to panic, 7 weeks is plenty of time to get yourself together!! : ) 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Honestly, books really don't prepare you for the reality of having a baby, and to be honest, it comes quite naturally.  If you're planning on BFing, take advantage of the LCs or L&D nurses on your ward, they can really help.

I did read "secrets of the baby whisperer" when I was pregnant, and it was by far, the most helpful of the 3 I read.

There is also a youtube video from Oprah about a lady who can teach you how to tell what your baby wants when it cries- called something like 5 words baby knows, or some such...

but to be honest, I had that figured out by 2 weeks. 

Congratulations, and welcome to parenthood!   :) 

• Wow!  I would be just as freaked out if I found out that late!  Congrats!  For breastfeeding, if you don't to purchase books, online sites are great.  These have lots of info, including video.

https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/

https://kellymom.com/

https://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html

As for the parenting/mommy part of taking care of a baby, your nurses in the hospital will be very informative and can show you how to hold/diaper/bathe/etc.  Your pediatrician will also have a lot of information for you.  What to Expect the First Year book is a good one too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I don't have anything else to add. I just wanted to say Congrats! and don't stress!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • This! you tube!!!

My husband is a grease truck driver on the up ground coal mine. He works 13 hours a day! not to mention the 1 hour round trip to the place where the classes are held. so we went to the tour and none others! youtube is amazing!! it has everything you need!!! You will be fine! its a lot to take on though! Good luck!!!! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"