Breastfeeding

Will manual be enough?

So I'm on a very tight budget, and can't really afford a minimum 150 pump. I plan to SAH and EBF, but I've been told to get a pump just in case I run into real problems. I was wondering, if I bought a manual pump would that be enough for that "just in case"? I'm pretty sure that if there's a medical reason I can't breastfeed normally my insurance will cover a pump, but I was just wondering what moms with experience think.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Will manual be enough?

• I wouldn't even run out and buy a manual before you need it. They are only about $30, but money is money. You could easily SAH and never need a pump.

Unless you find a really great deal, I would hold off until you find out if you need a pump or not, and/or you are ready for a night out without LO. Walmart, Target, any baby store will have manual pumps, so you can just run out and grab one, it's not like it requires any real planning.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think you'd be fine...that said, isn't insurance supposed to cover a pump nowadays?

• Loading the player...
  • I heart my manual, I agree with the other poster, if money is tight I would wait for a coupon and then buy a manual. BRU does run coupons for breast pumps.
  • You can get the Medela Harmony for sometimes under 30 bucks with coupons and it will work perfectly if you SAH and only need it for the occasional emergency/just in case.

• imagelady dixneuf:
    I think you'd be fine...that said, isn't insurance supposed to cover a pump nowadays?

Supposedly, but under military insurance because its government run they don't have to adhere to the new regulations on insurance, ironic huh?
  • I work full time and pump with a manual three times a day. It's SO easy. I've never had an electric but I could imagine it would be more difficult to have all the wires and attachments and everything! But like someone else said don't even get one until you need it chances are if you are SAH you may NEVER need one! :) HTH
  • I work part time and have a double electric and a manual pump.  While th electric is faster at work, I prefer the manual pump.

• I agree w/others that a manual will be enough.  And totally agree on WAITING to buy one.  You don't want to pump anytime earlier than 4-5 weeks anyway, so you still have plenty of time to buy one then.  If you *have* to have one on hand right now, make sure you don't open the box!  Once it's opened, it is non-returnable.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"