April 2013 Moms

Need support.... DH/puppy update

So after WW2 in our home DH has decided he will get rid of the puppy.  He is upset that it was his dream dog for free and an unreal opportunity (It is a AKC, pure breed, ribbon papered puppy).

Although I know it is not smart and I do not want I puppy. I can't help but feel horrible!  I am in tears and feel like the meanest person ever!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Need support.... DH/puppy update

• Your DH is being a d*ck.

Bringing a puppy home when you are in your 3T is just plain stupid and if he doesn't get that, tough cookies.

Because, you know, in three or four  years, there won't be *any* puppies left ever.

He needs to grow the F up. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I dunno, maybe it's just me... but I'd let him keep the puppy.. of course he would have to do EVERYTHING!

It would be kind of sweet to have a puppy grow up with the baby, it would kind of be like the baby's puppy :)

We had a cat like that, got the kitten when my sister was born and they were always very close. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've got your back.  It is just plain stupid to bring a new puppy into a home which 3 other dogs and a woman in her third trimester of pregnancy already call home.  Dream dog or no, that is way too much to toss onto the plate of an already-busy life that's about to become exponentially busier with the arrival of a new baby.  The new LO alone will be added expense, stress, worry, patience, love, etc.  It's absurd to add a PUPPY, who'll need feeding, training, exercise, attention, etc. to that mix.

A new dog is about as necessary as a poke in the eye.

// I love you too. //

• So sorry you're dealing with this :( 
    I can't imagine but it's really bad timing. Keep us posted
  • If money weren't an issue, and I knew that DH would completely follow through on being the one to train it, I MIGHT budge. But it obviously is the wrong timing for your family, and he will see that eventually.  It just sucks that he made you feel like the bad guy. For what it's worth, our "puppies" are two this month, and I still distinctly remember training them; it's freaking stressful and requires lots of hands on time--you'll have very little of that come April.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • New puppy without a mutual discussion before?  No way!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't feel bad. I'm the biggest dog lover in the world (like seriously, THEE BIGGEST) and I know that personally for DH and I throwing a puppy in right now would not work. They are a huuuuge time commitment. He will get over it. Maybe later on down the road. A dog should be a "forever" thing not an "until" thing. I see too many pups on Craigslist because people are having a baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageDunkin:
    New puppy without a mutual discussion before?  No way!

Agreed!  I'm a huge animal person but I can't imagine trying to house train a puppy and be up with a newborn at the same time...no thanks.  Not to mention the stress all of that would put on your current pets too!

• Don't budge on this, and don't feel bad about it. I'd be fuming if I were you! You're in your 3rd trimester, and you just lost your job for goodness sake. Dream dog or not: you do not need the stress of a new puppy right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    BFP 08/11/2012, DD#1 born 04/18/2013
    BFP 01/01/2015, EDD 09/07/2015, CP
    BFP 10/09/2015, EDD 06/01/2016, MC @ 7 weeks
    BFP 03/12/2016, DD#2 born 11/15/2016
    BFP 01/28/2019, EDD 09/29/2019
  • Ugh, I would feel the same way! DH should've known better! If it weren't for the money issue I would say keep it since you already have dogs but it has to be what is right for your situation! I know I would be upset bc it would be hard to do as an animal lover!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
    We can't wait to meet our Blake Katherine!!
  • imageNativeFloridian:

I've got your back.  It is just plain stupid to bring a new puppy into a home which 3 other dogs and a woman in her third trimester of pregnancy already call home.  Dream dog or no, that is way too much to toss onto the plate of an already-busy life that's about to become exponentially busier with the arrival of a new baby.  The new LO alone will be added expense, stress, worry, patience, love, etc.  It's absurd to add a PUPPY, who'll need feeding, training, exercise, attention, etc. to that mix.

This exactly. I have a hard time turning down free things that I would like but this is one exception to that rule. This is a terrible time and he's obviously being blinded by his emotions. To the PP who said it would be ok if he did everything, how about he invests that time into his future child instead of a puppy that he didn't even discuss with his wife. Stand your ground lady and don't feel bad. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Your DH sounds like mine! Mine volunteers at an animal shelter and is always trying to bring animals home, calling me from the shelter with each poor little animal's story and trying to convince me that we have to rescue them. I don't think you're being mean at all. I have 2 pets and a baby on the way and I'd flip out if my DH actually brought an animal home right now. Luckily he's terrified of the crazy hormonal monster that comes out when I get angry and knows better. Hopefully you can find a good home for the puppy. Maybe a friend of family member can take it since it sounds like you DH is already attached.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers IAmPregnant Ticker image
  • What happens of the puppy hates e baby, dogs and cats can injure an infant if thy wanted too. We're waiting to get a kitten because we want the baby the be te center of attention instead of the kitten and them getting jealous when the baby comes.

Tell your husband to suck a fart, he can either get rid of the dog now or later after he's gotten attached.
  • imageCanukMam:

I dunno, maybe it's just me... but I'd let him keep the puppy.. of course he would have to do EVERYTHING!

It would be kind of sweet to have a puppy grow up with the baby, it would kind of be like the baby's puppy :)

We had a cat like that, got the kitten when my sister was born and they were always very close. 

kitten =/= puppy

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • If I saw my spouse, in all of her 30w2d splendor, walking up the sidewalk with a puppy in her arms, I would bolt the door and shut off all of the lights.  No flucking way.

Signed,

Someone with two rescue dogs and a rescue cat.

There is a time and place for everything, and this is NOT the time for a puppy.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • imageNativeFloridian:

I've got your back.  It is just plain stupid to bring a new puppy into a home which 3 other dogs and a woman in her third trimester of pregnancy already call home.  Dream dog or no, that is way too much to toss onto the plate of an already-busy life that's about to become exponentially busier with the arrival of a new baby.  The new LO alone will be added expense, stress, worry, patience, love, etc.  It's absurd to add a PUPPY, who'll need feeding, training, exercise, attention, etc. to that mix.

I second this. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You shouldn't feel bad. I can't imagine having to take care of a puppy while in my third trimester of pregnancy. Plus, with the new baby, you won't be able to give the puppy the time and attention it needs and you certainly don't need another being to take care of clean after. Plus your H needs to be available to help you with the new baby instead of training another puppy because you certainly will need the help. Hang in there mama, you made the right decision!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageSpacebunny19:

Your DH is being a d*ck.

Bringing a puppy home when you are in your 3T is just plain stupid and if he doesn't get that, tough cookies.

Because, you know, in three or four  years, there won't be *any* puppies left ever.

He needs to grow the F up. 

Totally, totally this. Someone needs to slap some sense into your DH.

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"