Babies: 0 - 3 Months

2 month old won't sleep!

I don't know what to do anymore.

My 2 month old won't sleep. She has never been a good sleeper but Im getting to the point where I don't know what else I could do to help her.

Today shes been awake for almost 12 hours. Shes been a little fussy nothing major during the day, but shell only stay on her swing/bouncer for a few minutes then cries and seems to be rooting. When I put her on breast, shell nurse for a couple of minutes then doze off but as soon as I take her off shell open her eyes. 

She never nurses for more than 10 minutes ever since she was born. Ive tried everything, white noise, swaddling (she hates it), bath, massage, everything I guess. At night shell sleep for like 2 hours tops and then wake up to feed but during the 2 hours her sleep seems to be very agitated.

Please someone tell me something that work or that this is a phase. 

Re: 2 month old won't sleep!

• Has she been like that since she was born? It could be just a phase. 

Most babies hate swaddling but it is it for their own good. Try the 5 S's I forget what book that is it - Maybe the Happiest Baby on the Block?

Swaddle, Pacifier, Shhhing sound, rocking and side/stomach. You have to find the right combo for your LO but Swaddle is always a must. 

I have also heard sometimes that if you do whatever you have to to get them to sleep good for that first nap .... meaning if she is falling asleep on your breast - just her be and let her sleep for an hour. That sometimes they will sleep better for the next nap if you put them down in that window of opportunity.

There are a ton of books out there to help babies sleep - I think I have read them all - haha and I just take what works and leave what doesn't.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I thought my LO hated swaddling too... She would grunt and you could see her trying to free her arms, and eventually she would cry. I tried arms in, one arm out, both arms out, no swaddle at all. About 3 weeks ago we went back to arms in... She cried for a few minutes but then nursed to sleep, and she slept for 5 hours straight that night! Her sleeping has been improving since then, and she's slept through the night 3 times in the past week. If I were you and had tried everything else, I would go back to the swaddle. We use the halo sleepsack swaddles and love them! Also, a white noise machine helps immensely!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the same issue. My DS will  be up for 12 hours at a time and he will fall asleep at the breast and as soon as I try to lay him down (Ive tried EVERYTHING, crib, swing, blanket, basinette...) he would wake up and begin rooting again. There are a few things I do now depending on the time of day and the situation that help him get better sleep.

Most successful is giving him pumped BM in a bottle when I have a hard time getting him to sleep. I wait until its a last option. Last night, he nursed for four hours on and off before I gave in to the bottle. He drank four oz and was asleep in 15 minutes. He just tends to be a lazy eater sometimes even though he has a good latch.

Secondly, If I am holding him, I let him fall asleep at the breast, I have to VERY SLOWLY detach, he nurses mostly for comfort at that point anyway. I wait until he is in ACTIVE sleep, which could take up to an hour, and then I lay him down.

Lastly, I do the side laying BF position. I only do this when my husband isn't sleeping just to be sure we have enough room.

These three things have allowed me to get some sleep. Its not perfect, but it does work most of the time.  We're still trying to figure out nights and days, but I'm hopeful...good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You might also try a moby wrap, boba or ergo type carrier. I have never met an infant that can stay awake in one of those! They will fuss at first but my daughter can't make it a block without falling asleep on a walk and she sleeps for hours afterwards. You might also want to try swaddling and then putting her in the swing, usually my lo will cry for a few minutes, but I stay with her singing and eventually she wil give in. A rocking chair or glider also puts her out pretty quickly, but I have to hold her upright against my chest.
  • I would second what everyone else has said.  Also, troublesometots.com has great baby sleep information.  You might find something there that will help you.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Swaddle the baby- she likes it, but just doesn't know it yet.  Do you have one of those big exercise balls?  We swaddle our LO, hold her on her side with her front pressed against ours, and then sit on the exercise ball and bounce.  It's like magic.  During the day, after she drifts off, I put her in our 3-in-1 tiny love rocker/napper with the vibrate on and she'll sleep.  We don't have problems at night.  Hope your LO settles down.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm having issues with LO sleeping during the day also, exactly like you described and she is 7 weeks old. I'm hoping it is a phase. But, we have night time down because I nurse her while laying down and give her at least an hour to eat and really fall to sleep. Sometimes I will try to detach and then she will root again, then I will start all over. But, eventually she gives in and then most nights she sleeps almost the entire night. One key though is the woombie. It is for swaddling, but it is better than the other swaddle blankets which I also have, because it allows baby to move without too much movement. It mimics the womb. My LO loves it! I only use it at night though so that she is clear on day vs night.
  • Thanks everyone for the wonderful advices! I've tried everything now lol I did swaddle her at night and she slept for 2 hours in her bassinet which usually never happens she has to be on my bed but the same thing happened today she's been awake since 9:30 am and it's now 6:10 at night!! She did have a cat nap of like 20 minutes tops! I'm exhausted , she'll be content for a few minutes then cries and cries and wants the breast but then only nurses for 58 minutes and falls asleep... I'm out of options I think lol even naked she won't nurse for longer .... I guess I'll wait a few more days if nothing happens ill give the pedi a call but I'm going to stick with swaddling her over he weekend and see thanks everyone!

Forgot to add that I noticed today she's been having foamy stool movements and she does have a diaper rash not a really bad one but her bum is a little red, could this be related?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"