2nd Trimester

ER Horror!!!!!

Yesterday evening when my husband got off work, he took me to the emergency at a Midtown Atlanta hospital here in GA. I was in bad pain I would say it was a 10. I could not walk my cervix in my opinon had a charlie horse in it that lasted all day. So we get the hospital im in a wheel chair crying my eyes out. The emegency room is full (people mainly with the flu). I'm 18 weeks along in this pregnacy, scared and in pain It was 5:30 when I went in I was not  seen until 9:30. No one came out to check my blood pressure, take labs or nothing. Pregancy is not a priority to the er. FYI i was told next time to go to the maternity ward. Which closed at 8:00 no one even bothered to tell me that. The one thing they did was give me an u/s. told me the baby was fine and to take it easy because pregnacy can be tough. Went to the doctors today I have a UTI. My doctors said if they er would have took a urine sample they would have seen it.

Re: ER Horror!!!!!

• That's ridiculous. I would think that a urinalysis would be a standard procedure in that circumstance. Hope you are feeling better. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • UTI's during pregnancy are heinous! Hope you feel better soon! I got on a cranberry supplement after I checked with my dr to make sure it was safe. Maybe worth asking about in the future!

• Loading the player...
  • Honestly, file a complaint wherever you can.  I'm usually not one to jump on something like this but it upsets me to hear that this is how you were treated.  And especially since they didn't take a urine sample.  I feel like urine and blood would be standard for pregnant women.

In general I'm just annoyed with hospitals and ERs lately.  My aunt, who is one of the nicest most sincere people you will ever meet, fell at home and about an hour later was in extreme pain, to the point where she had to call 9-1-1.  But since there were no visible bruises on her the EMTs refused to bring a stretcher into her house and made her walk to the ambulance.  Then when she got to the ER she was in so much pain she was hysterical, but they refused to give her any pain meds and the nurse actually told her to shut up (not be quiet, they actually yelled for her to shut up) because she was being too loud and upsetting people.  It was HOURS later when they finally did a scan and found that she lacerated her liver!  She was in the ICU for about a week and has a 6-9 month recovery time ahead of her.  The way she was treated outrages me.   I understand there are drug seekers out there, but she had didn't have a history of that and had sustained a fall so they should have done something.  Same as in your case.  You're pregnant and while the flu is bad and can kill you'd think they'd at least have done a freakin' urine test!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• ...and THAT's how women end up birthing babies in their pants in the waiting room or in the waiting room bathroom!
  • I am so sorry you went through that! UTI can lead to miscarriage and/or premature labor, so it surprises me that the ER didn't bother to check for this immediately. I hope everything is ok now and you are better?

When I was pregnant with #1 I was stung by a scorpion and rushed to the ER. They told me that the scorpions indigenous to SoCal aren't poisonous and I would be fine. All true, but I wish they had been a bit more sympathetic and at least checked me out before sending me home. Instead I was given a LOOK and dismissed like a silly child. 

• Wow I went to an ER in Georgia, granted it wasn't crowded at the time, with bleeding, and I was treated well and only had to wait about 20 minutes before they started taking my vitals.  This was before flu season though, sorry you had to go through this!!!
  • Wow! Sorry to see what you had to go through to get an answer.  Thanks for the tip about asking to go to the maternity ward instead of the ER.
  • When I was twelve weeks I went to the er in terrible pain, and I thought I was miscarrying. The doctor came in and was like pregnancy hurts, and my husband told him that this was not normal. Well, they did an ultrasound and I had a plum size cyst that had ruptured on my ovary. Guess it was not just pregnancy! Doctors can be real big jerks!
  • Yeah the ER sucks.  Next time call your OB's office and have them page the doctor and tell you what to do. I assume since you waited until your husband got home that you were in pain earlier in the day? Next time don't wait. My OB can get me in for an emergency appointment. If you can't get a hold of your doctor you could also go to an Urgent Care clinic.
  • I would have been SO angry! I hope you're feeling better soon!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageJCWhitey:

Honestly, file a complaint wherever you can.  I'm usually not one to jump on something like this but it upsets me to hear that this is how you were treated.  And especially since they didn't take a urine sample.  I feel like urine and blood would be standard for pregnant women.

In general I'm just annoyed with hospitals and ERs lately.  My aunt, who is one of the nicest most sincere people you will ever meet, fell at home and about an hour later was in extreme pain, to the point where she had to call 9-1-1.  But since there were no visible bruises on her the EMTs refused to bring a stretcher into her house and made her walk to the ambulance.  Then when she got to the ER she was in so much pain she was hysterical, but they refused to give her any pain meds and the nurse actually told her to shut up (not be quiet, they actually yelled for her to shut up) because she was being too loud and upsetting people.  It was HOURS later when they finally did a scan and found that she lacerated her liver!  She was in the ICU for about a week and has a 6-9 month recovery time ahead of her.  The way she was treated outrages me.   I understand there are drug seekers out there, but she had didn't have a history of that and had sustained a fall so they should have done something.  Same as in your case.  You're pregnant and while the flu is bad and can kill you'd think they'd at least have done a freakin' urine test!

That is horrible.  I can't believe that she was treated that way.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a bad experience with the ER with my last pregnancy.  They put me in a room right away, but a Dr didn't see me until 4 hours later.  The staff at the ER was pretty bad as well.  I'm sorry you had to go through that. 
  • When I was pregnant with my son I had bad cramping and sat in the ER for about 4 hours before I was seen. I was only 10 weeks so they wouldn't take me to L & D. While I was in waiting, a woman near me miscarried because she'd been waiting a really long time. I felt so horrible for her to be going through a miscarriage in the ER waiting room bathroom. I am SO leary about going to the ER now, unless I call my OB first and they call ahead.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I hate the ER.  I went to the ER at 7 weeks with light bleeding and extreme dehydration, weight loss, and vomitting from hyperemesis gravidarum. I didnt have to wait as long as you did (my wait was about 1.5 hours) However, I told the nurse that I needed to know where I could go to throw up and she handed me a bucket and sent me back to the waiting room. I was humiliated. I could barely walk I was so weak, was clearly very ill and bleeding with pregnancy and they just hnaded me a bucket.  Once I was taken to a room, the only staff I saw for the first 30 min. was the admin that handles payment.  I finally got fluids and some anti nausea drugs (which did not help) and was sent home with a prescription for a class C drug (didnt know at the time). I was so angry. I have drafted a letter but the hospital is part of a large hospital network and I have yet to find a contact address to send it to. I will avoid the ER at all costs from now on.

• I had a similar situation, but called my docters office, and they sent me to the labor and delivery room at the hospital because the doctor was not in at that moment. I called them twice, because I didn't want to have to pay to go to the hospital. This happened back in mid-december when I was 19 weeks.

Needless to say I was in a hospital room for 3 hours, they put something on to measure contractions. They took a urine test, and it was a urinary tract infection. Now a couple months later I have a two hospital bills, almost $450.00 I have to pay later. It sucks. Thank god insurance paid most of it.

The labor and delivery dept at the hospital told me the same thing "don't go to emergency room for pregnancy because they don't know what to do with you." Gee thanks. What if I can't walk up to the third floor, I guess you just have to have labor and delivery at your hospital on speed dial to let them know you are arriving.

• That does sound like a horrible experience, I'm so sorry. Every time I have been to the ER here (in MN), which has been a lot this pregnancy, I have had special treatment because of being pregnant.
  • I was in a car accident with my first pregnancy at 35w with twins.  I had the 911 dispatcher send an ambulance and I spoke with the medic.  He said he would gladly take me but that I would probably be better off calling my ob.  So I did and the ob sent me to l and d.  I got through the nurses there easily because my dr. had sent me.  I really recommend calling your ob's office or emergency number before doing anything else.
    My Blog: Say Lucky Pregnancy Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"