April 2012 Moms
Options

Tubes

After 4 ear infections in 4 months (as long as he's been in daycare), Micah's pedi sent him to an ENT dr. His hearing test showed that his hearing isn't quite what it should be, and there's fluid in his ears, so they're recommending tubes. We're scheduled for next Friday. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm uneasy about this. The doctor threw out the comment, "Well, we can either keep plugging him with antibiotics, you can take him out of daycare or you can get him tubes." I already feel terrible sending my son to daycare so much, so that comment stung a lot. I feel like it's my fault that he keeps getting infections, because I work too much and he spends too much time at daycare. Woe is me.

Anyone have any experience with tubes? Do I just need to put my big girl panties on a deal with this?

Micah Leonard
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Tubes

• Options

That doctor should be slapped. It's good for your son to be exposed to other children, both socially and to build his immune system. I think your mommy worries are totally justified, but I think it's also time to put on the panties and accept that minor health concerns are going to happen. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DS had tubes for about 2 years. He had ear infections just about every month from 6 months to well over a year. Tubes was the best decisions we made. Last one fell out sometime last year. DS is 4. He still got a ear infection afterward, but that is commom. Best of luck....

ETA: I would have backhand my pedi, if he made a statement like that to me. WTF

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had tubes, my brother had tubes twice, my cousin had tubes, my nephew had tubes and DD had tubes.

Honestly, it might be better for him to have them now before any hearing loss causes a speech delay. That's what happened with my nephew. He was really angry and frustrated at 12 months because he couldn't hear; after the tubes he became such a happy chatty baby because he could hear.

I don't think the doctor was trying to say it's your fault he's getting sick; but more just pointing out that getting tubes is really the only viable option. I do agree he could have been more tactful about it.

I think it's also better to do it now when he's not so aware of it, because DD had them in when she was four and although she did fine, she was pretty scared in pre-op.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I can't believe the pedi said that!  Evie just got over an ear infection, she doesn't go to daycare but goes to my moms house and my mom only watches my girls and my nephew.  If Evelyn kept getting repeated ear infections I would go with putting tubes in their ear.  Ear infections are miserable and it's going to help prevent having them until his ears get bigger. 

My younger brother and sister had tubes put in when they were 2.  They both kept getting ear infectiosn right after the other.  The tubes helped with that and they didn't have ear infections for years after that.  I think it's a fairly common procedure and could understand the apprehension against having it done because it's hard to have your child put through more serious medical procedures.  I would go for it if it was suggested, sounds like he will benefit from it.   Don't feel bad about taking him to daycare, it's something you have to do.  We live in a world where two incomes are needed to make ends meet.  Quiting work isn't an option, and he will be well socialized as he gets older.  LIke OP said, it will help him with his immune system in the long run and it's great for his social skills.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thank you all for the support. The ENT was definitely trying to sell the surgery more than he was trying to inflict guilt on me. My sister got tubes, but not until she was about 5 or so, and by then, she already had scars on her eardrums and has hearing loss from it.

The part that I'm the most anxious about is that the prep paper said "Nothing to eat or drink after midnight." Micah still gets up to eat every 3-4 hours. I have NO idea how we're going to get him to surgery without a total meltdown. The nurse said that same-day people might change that restriction, but it has me worried. I also am slightly terrified to know how much this is going to cost me. Our insurance changed with our new contract, and I know we pay significantly more than before (which for something like this would have been $0 before). I know we have a deductable plus a percentage. We'll make it work, but I have a feeling it's going to be tight.

Micah Leonard
  • Options
    imageSteelCity44:

Thank you all for the support. The ENT was definitely trying to sell the surgery more than he was trying to inflict guilt on me. My sister got tubes, but not until she was about 5 or so, and by then, she already had scars on her eardrums and has hearing loss from it.

The part that I'm the most anxious about is that the prep paper said "Nothing to eat or drink after midnight." Micah still gets up to eat every 3-4 hours. I have NO idea how we're going to get him to surgery without a total meltdown. The nurse said that same-day people might change that restriction, but it has me worried. I also am slightly terrified to know how much this is going to cost me. Our insurance changed with our new contract, and I know we pay significantly more than before (which for something like this would have been $0 before). I know we have a deductable plus a percentage. We'll make it work, but I have a feeling it's going to be tight.

You're in Ohio, right? Depending on your salary, you might qualify for HCap, which can reduce your hospital bill. We qualified and all of the bills from DS's birth were forgiven. It'll be on the back of the hospital bill.

For the nothing to eat or drink, if you contact the anesthesiologist they may say something different, but yeah, it's hard. If I remember correctly, with DD, she was allowed to have clear juice in the morning, up until a few hours before.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageKatFCo:
    imageSteelCity44:

You're in Ohio, right? Depending on your salary, you might qualify for HCap, which can reduce your hospital bill. We qualified and all of the bills from DS's birth were forgiven. It'll be on the back of the hospital bill.

For the nothing to eat or drink, if you contact the anesthesiologist they may say something different, but yeah, it's hard. If I remember correctly, with DD, she was allowed to have clear juice in the morning, up until a few hours before.

Thanks! And yes, we're in Ohio. I'll have to check into that. I'm usually just above the cut off, but it's always worth a shot. I guess we just live well above our own means? Once we get DH's last 1099, we can get started on our taxes and hopefully get our refund soon (yes, we're THOSE people that pay too much up front because we're not responsible to save enough on our own). If need be, we'll use that and any savings bonds that I have (no, not DS's). I know that a lot of hospital's have payment plans for the stuff above the deductable, so hopefully it's just our $200 down initially.

Micah Leonard
  • Options

Our daughter at 8 months old December 2012 had tubes put in. She had 4 bilateral infections within a few months and they were worried about her hearing because her ears too were filled with fluid. Our daughter is in daycare too but our ent said she may still continue to get them even if we took her out.

It is totally ok to be scared, we were too! But honestly it is over with so fast! The hardest part is afterwards they can be disoriented and scared. In the recovery room our LO was calm and then cried and then was clam and then cried, this was heartbreaking but only lasted about 15 minutes. We just held her and sang to her. Then we drove home and I swear it was like she had nothing done!

I will admit our daughter still had an ear infection a couple weeks ago but we just put a few drops in for 7 days and it was over! And she doesnt get sick at all like she did before the tubes, I cant explain it but that is how it is.

I want to tell you that because you work does NOT make you a bad mom at all! I totally understand the feeling though, I toos it around myself form time to time. But honestly when I look at our online daycare video and see her smiling and playing with her friends it puts me at ease. He WILL be ok. Smile

Good Luck to you and ytour little one. We didnt want to put her through a surgery but we also didnt want to risk her having hearing or speech problems. If you do go ahead with it, Try not to stress the day of, he needs to know your ok with what he is having done so he will be less afraid. And as scary as it all is I promise yout that the day after you will be wondering what all the fuss was about Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageBabyNewbury2012:

Our daughter at 8 months old December 2012 had tubes put in. She had 4 bilateral infections within a few months and they were worried about her hearing because her ears too were filled with fluid. Our daughter is in daycare too but our ent said she may still continue to get them even if we took her out.

It is totally ok to be scared, we were too! But honestly it is over with so fast! The hardest part is afterwards they can be disoriented and scared. In the recovery room our LO was calm and then cried and then was clam and then cried, this was heartbreaking but only lasted about 15 minutes. We just held her and sang to her. Then we drove home and I swear it was like she had nothing done!

I will admit our daughter still had an ear infection a couple weeks ago but we just put a few drops in for 7 days and it was over! And she doesnt get sick at all like she did before the tubes, I cant explain it but that is how it is.

I want to tell you that because you work does NOT make you a bad mom at all! I totally understand the feeling though, I toos it around myself form time to time. But honestly when I look at our online daycare video and see her smiling and playing with her friends it puts me at ease. He WILL be ok. Smile

Good Luck to you and ytour little one. We didnt want to put her through a surgery but we also didnt want to risk her having hearing or speech problems. If you do go ahead with it, Try not to stress the day of, he needs to know your ok with what he is having done so he will be less afraid. And as scary as it all is I promise yout that the day after you will be wondering what all the fuss was about Smile

Thank you so much for all of this!

Micah Leonard
  • Options

I'm not in your shoes, but a friend of mine's son is going to have to get tubes again and he is 17 months old. He got them right around a year the first time. He had double ear infections once a month for about 5 straight months the first go round. Now he has had three double ear infections in about two months. As soon as he went off the antibiotic, he would get them again.  My friend said, referring to the no eating after midnight, she just asked them to schedule it as early as possible (I think they had it at 6am-they probably schedule it early anyway) and she woke him and fed him right before midnight, I think. Of course, the baby was still fussy but at least it wasn't later in the morning. She said the tubes are NBD and she was more worried than she needed to be. :)

Also, I'm sorry for what the doctor said to you. That was extremely rude, IMO. I hope everything works out insurance wise and that your LO gets healthy ASAP! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageAudreyB113:

I'm not in your shoes, but a friend of mine's son is going to have to get tubes again and he is 17 months old. He got them right around a year the first time. He had double ear infections once a month for about 5 straight months the first go round. Now he has had three double ear infections in about two months. As soon as he went off the antibiotic, he would get them again.  My friend said, referring to the no eating after midnight, she just asked them to schedule it as early as possible (I think they had it at 6am-they probably schedule it early anyway) and she woke him and fed him right before midnight, I think. Of course, the baby was still fussy but at least it wasn't later in the morning. She said the tubes are NBD and she was more worried than she needed to be. :)

Also, I'm sorry for what the doctor said to you. That was extremely rude, IMO. I hope everything works out insurance wise and that your LO gets healthy ASAP! 

Thank you.

Micah Leonard
  • Options
    imageBabyNewbury2012:
    nbsp;It is totally ok to be scared, we were too! But honestly it is over with so fast! The hardest part is afterwards they can be disoriented and scared. In the recovery room our LO was calm and then cried and then was clam and then cried, this was heartbreaking but only lasted about 15 minutes. We just held her and sang to her. Then we drove home and I swear it was like she had nothing done!
    I want to tell you that because you work does NOT make you a bad mom at all! I totally understand the feeling though, I toos it around myself form time to time. But honestly when I look at our online daycare video and see her smiling and playing with her friends it puts me at ease. He WILL be ok. [:]
    Good Luck to you and ytour little one. We didnt want to put her through a surgery but we also didnt want to risk her having hearing or speech problems. If you do go ahead with it, Try not to stress the day of, he needs to know your ok with what he is having done so he will be less afraid. And as scary as it all is I promise yout that the day after you will be wondering what all the fuss was about [:]

I could have written this! DD had tubes at 8 months and just got an infection about a month ago. It was clear in about 5 days with drops. Our appt was at 6am and she could nurse up until 2am. We woke her up in the middle of the night, filled her up and prayed she slept until we left. Once we got to the surgery center she was too busy watching people to worry about bring hungry. Afterwards though, she took a 6oz bottle we supplement with formula and nursed so be prepared with extra food.
  • Options

image9.8.07C&M:
    imageBabyNewbury2012:
    Our daughter at 8 months old December 2012 had tubes put in. She had 4 bilateral infections within a few months and they were worried about her hearing because her ears too were filled with fluid. Our daughter is in daycare too but our ent said she may still continue to get them even if we took her out. nbsp;It is totally ok to be scared, we were too! But honestly it is over with so fast! The hardest part is afterwards they can be disoriented and scared. In the recovery room our LO was calm and then cried and then was clam and then cried, this was heartbreaking but only lasted about 15 minutes. We just held her and sang to her. Then we drove home and I swear it was like she had nothing done! I will admit our daughter still had an ear infection a couple weeks ago but we just put a few drops in for 7 days and it was over! And she doesnt get sick at all like she did before the tubes, I cant explain it but that is how it is. I want to tell you that because you work does NOT make you a bad mom at all! I totally understand the feeling though, I toos it around myself form time to time. But honestly when I look at our online daycare video and see her smiling and playing with her friends it puts me at ease. He WILL be ok. [:] Good Luck to you and ytour little one. We didnt want to put her through a surgery but we also didnt want to risk her having hearing or speech problems. If you do go ahead with it, Try not to stress the day of, he needs to know your ok with what he is having done so he will be less afraid. And as scary as it all is I promise yout that the day after you will be wondering what all the fuss was about [:]
    I could have written this! DD had tubes at 8 months and just got an infection about a month ago. It was clear in about 5 days with drops. Our appt was at 6am and she could nurse up until 2am. We woke her up in the middle of the night, filled her up and prayed she slept until we left. Once we got to the surgery center she was too busy watching people to worry about bring hungry. Afterwards though, she took a 6oz bottle we supplement with formula and nursed so be prepared with extra food.

Thank you! Thank you! That gives me so much more hope!

Micah Leonard
  • Options
    Just wanted to let you know that we may be needing tubes soon too. And guess what.... My LO is NOT in daycare. So, his statement was Rediculous. I'm sorry it made you feel bad. Sometimes babies need tubes regardless of exposure to other children.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"