February 2013 Moms

Whooping Cough Vax

Did everyone get this while pregnant?  I did not - the doctor said since I have a 2.5 DS and I had it after I had him, I would be fine to wait until after this baby was born.  But I just read something that said pregnant women should get it because it can pass through the placenta and provide the baby with some immunity before they can get their vax.  Thoughts?
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Whooping Cough Vax

• No, my doc hasn't brought this up. Although I've been seeing it in the news lately. Maybe I'll ask her tomorrow at my appt.
  • I got the Tdap shot two years ago and was told that it would was recent enough that I don't need another one. I thought they said I won't need another one for 10 years, but now am wondering if that was only for tetanus?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Yep- I got it.  I was in need of it and they recommend pregnant women get it around 36 weeks.  You can get it afterwards, but since you can pass it on to the baby I thought I may as well get it now then!
    Baby #1 Due 2/21/13!
  • My OB never brought it up. I got the vax in the hospital right after I had DD. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got it. I also got the flu vax and will pass both immunities to my babe. I wouldn't want an outside newborn to catch whooping cough before they're old enough to receive the vax.

• I had it two years ago, but my OB said it wouldn't hurt to get it again and it might pass some immunity on to the baby. I'm very much a modern-medicine person, so I went ahead and got it. I know there are some who would never get an unnecessary or extra vaccine, though, and that's fine too I'm sure.

Fyi, they warned me that I might feel poorly or run a little fever within 24 hours of the shot, and I did. I wouldn't get it on a day where I had a lot going on in the next 24 - 48 hours.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I actually just studied this all morning trying to figure out what to do about DH.

He had his in 2007 and I had mine in 2011.  

The summary of what I learned is:

1.  TDaP is only licensed to be given once.  When a booster is needed, it is for tetanus and Td or TT is given.

2.  TDaP was licensed in 2005 so it is not old enough to have recommendations yet on when, if ever, a booster dose is needed for adults beyond the initial one.  However, the CDC is looking at this.

3.  That said, if vaccine history is unknown, TDaP can be administered again.

4.  The CDC has recently changed their recommendation for pregnant women to get a dose of TDaP with every pregnancy, because of the antibodies.  I find this to be an interesting recommendation in light of the fact that they have not yet determined if adults in general should have another one after some period of time.

I checked with a nurse, pharmacist and doctor (all friends) when I could not find DH's vaccine history and they said it would be fine to get it again even if he had in the last 3-4 years.  However, now that I know it, I am not sure.  It would not probably hurt him, but if it is not going to give him any more immunity then I don't think an extra vaccine is necessary.  I am going to ask them again w/ the new info, and have also emailed my nurse.  I am way crazy :)

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• I am 37 w 1d and I just got it today since there is such an outbreak of whooping cough. My dr didnt bring it up, I brought it up to her after reading about it in the news.
  • I asked my dr and she said it was fine to get it after, you can get it right at the hospital. However, she did say that if you get it while pregnant the antibodies can be passed along to the baby which is obviously a good thing.
  • I did not get mine while pregnant, but I plan to get it tomorrow (2 weeks PP). My plan was to get it in the hospital, but they were out! My ob said that since I would be BF, the baby would get some antibodies either way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got it while pregnant, the dr. mentioned being able to pass antibodies to the fetus as a result.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    20120611-154610-DSC_5742 imageimage
  • Yep. I just got it today.

I went to my primary doctor's office because my OB's office doesn't do shots.

When I got there, the nurse told me I was already up to date and I told her that I knew that but now they recommend the shot for all 3rd trimester women.   
    "Really?" she said skeptically, "Well, I'll go get the shot ready."
    A couple minutes later she was back with the shot and said, "I double checked and you were right about the recommendation."

I wanted to roll my eyes at her.  
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got mine when i got the flu shot.they really pushed it here because apparently whooping cough has been pretty common this winter. I was planning on passing on it but when i saw my doctor he asked why i hadnt gotten it yet and i asked him his opinion. He gave me a couple really good answers about why i should get both, especially the fact it protects the baby for a while after she's born,when she has the hardest time fighting off things like whooping cough and the flu..that was the big seller for me. I wish i could repeat some of the other reasons,but that was about 4 eeks ago or more and my baby brain(along with training the girl who's covering for me when im out of work) has made me pretty much retarded. If your doctor is recommending it,go for it.They just want you and baby to be healthy,and there is no harm with it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • i will get it in the hospital right after i deliver. my husband already got it.
  • imagePeanutR1:

I still do not understand the logic behind "I had one a couple of years ago, but I'm waiting until after delivery for this one"

if you had it that recently, YOU don't need it. The baby inside of you does. Therefore, the benefit if it only comes into play if you get it while pregnant. So why would you get it at all after the birth?

Inevitably, someone says "well, the antibodies can be passed through breastfeeding to some extent". OK, if that's the case,then you are still covered from your vaccination 2 years ago.  You don't need it again for YOU, you need it while baby is inside if it is the second shot. 

The logic is because....that's what my doctor said.  I'm not a medical professional, so I tend to follow their lead.  You don't need to be so aggressive.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"