May 2013 Moms

Frustrated!

I had my 24 week check up today. Of corse I got weighed which I expected and I gained 9 pounds in the last 5 weeks. My doctor made a big deal about my weight gain and said I gained too much. Needless to say I cried a little when I called my husband to tell him how the appt went. I have gained a total of 15 lbs this whole pregnancy and started at 125 so I didn't think I was that far off track. Hearing her tell me I'm gaining too much weight went straight to my head and now I have some kind of complex every time I get hungry and go to take a bite to eat. She then went on to measure my belly and I measured 24 and she said oh that's perfect your measuring right on schedule. Yet, I'm gaining too much weight??? The most important thing to me is that my baby is healthy. I didn't care about my weight gain at all (hadn't been on my scale at home since I was like 12 weeks) until she said I was gaining too much. I think I'll be buying a prenatal yoga or workout video on my way home from work tonight. Ugh just frustrated and needed to vent.

ETA - I didn't realize I posted a very similar title to the post below me. Sorry!

Re: Frustrated!

• I think it is too! It just happened about an hour ago so I just need to let it settle in. I did eat breakfast, a small snack, and 2 bottles of water before I went in. I didn't feel bad about the weight gain when I saw it on the scale. I felt bad when my doctor made a big deal about it. It didn't even cross my mind before she said something about it.

• I'd be frustrated too, especially since you're on track (from everything I've read) as far as your total weight gain.  I'm wondering if the doctor thinks you're going to continue gaining this much between your future appointments?  I'd ask more about this, don't let it get to your head, just stay calm and bring up the fact that it seems like your total weight gain is healthy as is your belly measurement.  I've heard that you're supposed to gain about a pound a week after the first trimester, so ask if it's really just that you put on some extra pounds between your last appt and this one, or is there another concern with your weight gain over all?  But overall, definitely don't stress, you're fine!  

• Loading the player...
  • hmmm. That seems kind of crappy of your doc.(though they are probably just being scientific)  I mean it's not excessive weight, like 20 lbs. or so. Weight can really fluctuate too. I know I went in and had gained like 10 lbs. and then 4 weeks later at my next appointment I had lost two.  ( I wasn't trying to at all). I kind of feel like some women gain their weight at different times during pregnancy. I could be totally wrong, just something I noticed.

Don't let it get you down! Your baby is healthy and that's what matters. If you want to exercise go ahead! It's good for you and LO.

It will be ok!  I am 28 weeks and have packed on 20 lbs!!! hang in there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry that they made you feel that way. Sometimes I feel they going overboard with weight. UGH! 
  • Thanks ladies! I really just needed to get it off my chest. I just thought I was right on track and didn't even mind when I saw the 9 lb gain. Then the doc walks in and it's the first thing out of her mouth and seemed like it was a huge deal. Then goes on to say you've gained 15 lbs so far so if you gained another 15 lbs you would be at 30 lbs for your pregnancy. I thought that was a good thing?? I do feel better now that I have talked it through a little bit. Thanks for listening!
  • I don't understand how 15lbs is too much by 24 weeks. Isn't the average weight gain throughout pregnancy 25 to 35lbs.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • OP, I'm almost in the same boat as you regarding weight gain.  I had may 24 week appointment today and gained 8 lbs. in the last 4 weeks and ~18 overall.

I specifically asked my midwife about the 2 lb./week gain and she said that weight gain isn't really linear during pregnancy and that many women gain more in the second trimester before their stomachs get too compressed, then the weight gain rate tapers off.

It made me feel better to have the affirmation (I wasn't too worried about it), so I thought I'd pass it along. 

• You sound on trAck with only gaining 15 lbs so far. The nurse put the wrong number down my last visit and said I gained 9 lbs in 4 weeks and my ob said something as well, I knew it was wrong and sure enough when I went 3 days later they asked why I lost 4 lbs! So I recommend weighing yourself at home to keep track!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"