March 2013 Moms

Had our maternity tour last night..

and it went great!. I was very nervous as this will be my first hospital birth. But the nurse doing the tour encouraged us to write out birth plans and bring them in! The recommend bringing a birthing ball and they have squatting bars. The best part? ALL rooms are private! No shared rooms. They have a pull out bed for DH to sleep on, so he can stay the whole time and big flat screen TV's. And nice big bathrooms. Up until this point I was going to request an early discharge from the hospital but after seeing this..I may just stay my full 48 hoursWink

Re: Had our maternity tour last night..

• Right! Mine put me at ease too. EVERYTHING was so nice and "posh". Iwas like wow, I could get used to this. Lol. The private rooms and huge pull out couch were awesomein mine too. Plus mine doesn't have a staffed nursery (anymore) so baby will be in the room with us the whole time. Good luck! 
  • Exactly! My favorite part was going by the nursery and seeing a couple of babies. :) Our hospital is pretty new and looks like a hotel. It also includes room service (food you order off a menu). I just wish the postpartum rooms were as big as the delivery rooms.

• Loading the player...
  • yes that was one of the best parts!, they have a nusery but they encourage baby to be in room which is what I wanted. And when we went to go past the nusery there werent even any babies in it, that just set me at ease. I guess hospitals have come a long way from what they used to be, really changed my whole mindset about a hospital birth.
  • I didn't even think to ask about the food, phooey! There is a little fridge in there so so maybe I'll bring a few of my favorites.
  • I have mine next week and I am hoping for the best. The birth center has recently been renovated, so I have high hopes that it will be really nice. I am pretty sure they have private rooms and I know they have a nursery, but try to keep the baby in with the mother as much as possible. At my birth class last night, the RN was saying that they always try to have baby go skin to skin immediately with the mother, even with a cesarean. I love that they seem to be very progressive there!
  • DH and I went 2 weeks ago and I love our hospital.  All the rooms are private and they also recommend the baby stay in the room with you the whole time.  The nurse giving the tour was joking around about how the big screen tv gets ESPN and my husband was the only man in the room who didn't crack a smile or chuckle.  He looked terrified the whole time!  When I brought it up in the car he said he was just concentrating so he'd remember everything.  I think he's nervous and doesn't want to admit it . . .
  • Ugh, I'm jealous.  Ours scared the daylights out of me.  All rooms are private, unless you want to pay $850 A NIGHT for the private room, which is so tiny, and only has a recliner for the dad.  In the shared room the chairs don't even recline for the dad!  

The hospital is old and dirty...ugh... seriously not excited.  Just another perk of living in NY?

• Oh we couldnt go IN the nursery, we were outside of it and they had one of the little shades up so we could see it was empty.

Sparkles: Where in NY are you, I only ask because I'm in NY too. The hospital I'm delivering at is North Shore LIJ, the whole maternity section has recently been redone and its really gorgeous. Is it to late for you to switch?

FYI: My quote thingy isnt working so sorry if this this comment seems all over the place.

• imageNoeK:

Sparkles: Where in NY are you, I only ask because I'm in NY too. The hospital I'm delivering at is North Shore LIJ, the whole maternity section has recently been redone and its really gorgeous. Is it to late for you to switch?

In Manhattan, delivering at Mt. Sinai.  We were originally supposed to deliver at NYU but after the storm they closed down and we were transferred.  They just reopened a week or two ago, but my doctor said she won't go back because of how awful everything was during Sandy.  In order to switch hospitals I'd have to switch doctors, which I'm not going to do (and probably a bit late at 35 weeks haha)

• Oh yeah 35 weeks is way to late, well here's to hoping for a quick delivery and back home soon Big Smile

Funny thing about being to late to change plans. At first I wanted a home birth, but my insurance fought me tooth and nail until I gave in and found an OB/hospital. The exactly three days ago I get a letter from my HR director saying that my "efforts have paid off" and they will now cover a home birth so I am "free to find a midwife and proceed as originally planned". Um...okay thay would be fantastic... if I wasnt due in 27 days! smh

Hopefully the next preggo will have it easier though

• imageSparkles01:

Ugh, I'm jealous.  Ours scared the daylights out of me.  All rooms are private, unless you want to pay $850 A NIGHT for the private room, which is so tiny, and only has a recliner for the dad.  In the shared room the chairs don't even recline for the dad!  

The hospital is old and dirty...ugh... seriously not excited.  Just another perk of living in NY?

lol same here! which hospital will you be in? Lenox Hill needs a serious renovation on their maternity fl. The labor room is so small! when we did our tour and they showed us the room, I couldn't believe all those people will be able to fit the day of delivery. The postpartum room seems slightly larger but is still shared unless I decide to shed out 800 a night. And, let's not even get into the horrible 1950's wallpaper ugh! 

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"