Babies: 0 - 3 Months

DS crying when drinking bottle?help

First off, ds loves his bottle. He loves to eat. That being said, he is crying when he eats his bottle and it's like it hurts him. He's obviously hungry so i know it's not that he's not hungry. Doc was like, "try a different bottle" and I just know this is silent reflux or reflux. He has done this a few times before but it is every feeding now in the past 24 hours. We have switched to sensitive formula weeks ago (he also gets about half breast milk). 

1. Does this sound like reflux or do you have any other ideas?

2. What can I do? My doc said at a previous appt. that he doesn't really give meds for reflux if they are doing well and thriving. DS is 11 lbs at 6 weeks so he's doing well in that arena.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: DS crying when drinking bottle?help

• Did you try a different bottle at all? I'd start with the most simple fix (and what the doc suggested) before jumping to more complicated conclusions. If switching bottles doesn't work, I'd go back to the doctor and voice your concerns about reflux again. 
    Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd also try a different bottle. Also, are you using powder? Maybe it is clumping and coming out too slow or not sitting right. That's a reach, just trying to throw everything out there. GL!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Might seem like a stupid question but is the liquid warmed to an appropriate temperature? Gave LO cold bottle of breastmilk last night and she was NOT happy. She was also unhappy due to the nipple's flow rate being too slow.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My DS cries during the bottle for two reasons: It's too cold for him, or he needs gas drops. I check the temp first, then give some mylicon if he's stillupset. Works almost every time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We go through the same thing a lot. He would happily chug down a few ounces, then suddenly stop and scream his head off, WTF? We started putting gas drops in every bottle and noticed a huge improvement. Also switched from Avent to Born Free bottles, because he seemed to be sucking in too much air. In general, my kid seems to be a fairly difficult eater so we've also kind of accepted that fact. He eats plenty and has gained a ton of weight, he's just a PITA during feedings.

Another little trick is giving the paci first to calm him down a bit before putting the bottle back in. I let him get in a good sucking rhythm then quickly yank the paci out and put the bottle in before he notices, this almost always works.

The biggest culprit is a hidden burp stuck in there, that seems to torture him until we get it out. Sometimes it takes forever, but once those burps come out, Whew! Sooo much better!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think my baby's crying may be related to the gastrocolic reflex. I notice that her worst crying while she is eating is right before I have heard her go to the bathroom.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• could be gas or colic. or it could also be thrush. it's a yeast infection babies canget intheir mouth. it presents itself as white patches in their mouth that can look like sores or residual formula/milk on the tongue but doesn't scrape off. also, your nipplewould be sore and inflamed/irritated. the Dr should be able to treat it easily. the bottle nipple may be just hard enough to cause discomfort in his mouth for him to cry everytime he takes it.
  • imagestewz:

First off, ds loves his bottle. He loves to eat. That being said, he is crying when he eats his bottle and it's like it hurts him. He's obviously hungry so i know it's not that he's not hungry. Doc was like, "try a different bottle" and I just know this is silent reflux or reflux. He has done this a few times before but it is every feeding now in the past 24 hours. We have switched to sensitive formula weeks ago (he also gets about half breast milk). 

1. Does this sound like reflux or do you have any other ideas?

2. What can I do? My doc said at a previous appt. that he doesn't really give meds for reflux if they are doing well and thriving. DS is 11 lbs at 6 weeks so he's doing well in that arena.  

We went through the exact same thing!!!  DD screamed at almost every feeding. When I spoke to her doctor she just chalked it up to colic.  We tried 4 different types of bottles, gas drops, warming her formula, everything we could think of.  I knew in my gut something was wrong.  So I took her to a different pediatrician and she suggested that maybe DD wasn't tolerating her formula very well.  She switched her from Similiac sensitive to Nutramigen.  OMG  what a world of difference.  She is like a different baby.  Bottom line if you think something is going on with your DS, go with your gut. Get her checked out even if you have to get a second opinion.  Good luck!!! 

• thanks everyone, i'm trying new bottles and it seems to be helping but we shall see if it helps at night (when it most effects him). I do heat it and the milk is warm but not too hot. I'll just see what happens. Thanks.
  • update: new bottles did not help at night   :(

I made dh call the doc b/c they just don't seem to be taking me seriously. the little guy was eating 5 oz and now is taking about 3 and he is in pain after eating too and it breaks my heart.  

• He may be allergic to something or has really bad gas. My baby boy would cry when eating and we figured out he was gassy. We rubbed his belly several times a day, did leg exercises to help get his bowels moving and switched formula to gentlease enfamil. He stopped being gassy altogether when I was feeding him more breatmilk. I hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"