January 2012 Moms

12 month lab results

We got DDs lab results back from her 12 month check up.  Her iron is slightly low.  I think that's probably due to the transition from formula to WCM?  Does anyone have any recommendations to increase iron in toddler friendly foods?
imageimageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: 12 month lab results

• Grill steak or lamb and feed it to them in thinly sliced pieces.  If your LO won't chew meat, let grilled meat rest on a cutting board for a few minutes then spoon the juices into their mouth. Or if that's a little too Twilight for you, meatballs and liver pates are easy for LOs to eat and have plenty of iron. 
    image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Luckily DD can chew meat pretty well, so we won't have to get Twilight Smile

Is iron only in red meat? (sorry if I sound like a nutrition dummy)  I feel like she gets plenty of meat/protein in her diet, but maybe she's not getting enough red meat.  Obviously I'll ask her pediatrician as well, but sometimes a doctor's recommendations don't seem very practical when dealing with an infant/toddler.

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • There a lot of different foods to increase iron. Spinach, Kale, beans (kidney, navy ect), seafood, cereals, and such.  You can probably search for foods high in iron online and get an idea of things your dd already likes that are rich in iron that you can offer more of.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• My niece was diagnosed with low iron earlier last year.  Top of the list for iron rich foods was dark chocolate.  But it has to be dark and you'd have to feel comfortable giving your kid chocolate.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• imagedhviel:
    My niece was diagnosed with low iron earlier last year.  Top of the list for iron rich foods was dark chocolate.  But it has to be dark and you'd have to feel comfortable giving your kid chocolate.

Hmm, I'm not opposed to DD having chocolate, but I'm thinking it probably shouldn't be her main source of iron. Wink

imageimageimage
  • I found a recipe online for toddler meatballs and I made them with baby oatmeal which has lots of iron in it instead of bread crumbs.  You also add pureed vegetables.  My son really liked them and they froze really well. 

https://www.parents.com/blogs/high-chair-times/tag/beef-recipes-for-baby/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My little man loves banana/spinach purees. You just take a half a cup of spinach with a whole banana, all uncooked and blend together. So easy and healthy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejnickers98:

imagedhviel:
    My niece was diagnosed with low iron earlier last year.  Top of the list for iron rich foods was dark chocolate.  But it has to be dark and you'd have to feel comfortable giving your kid chocolate.

Hmm, I'm not opposed to DD having chocolate, but I'm thinking it probably shouldn't be her main source of iron. Wink

That was basically what I meant!  Although even a couple bites here and there would probably really boost her iron!  There are plenty of other sources out there as others have shared, it's just that dark chocolate is very iron rich so it would boost it fast.

Broccoli & spinach are probably better bets for consistant iron though!

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• Raisins have a good amount of iron and are really good for you in general.

That was on our pedi's top 5 iron rich foods.

• imagekaybe24:

I found a recipe online for toddler meatballs and I made them with baby oatmeal which has lots of iron in it instead of bread crumbs.  You also add pureed vegetables.  My son really liked them and they froze really well. 

https://www.parents.com/blogs/high-chair-times/tag/beef-recipes-for-baby/

This looks like a great recipe.  Did you just swap the cereal for bread crumbs, or did you adjust the amount of cereal?

imageimageimage
  • imagebigbear:

Raisins have a good amount of iron and are really good for you in general.

Just be careful with raisins because they're a choke food until age 2-3.

We don't eat a lot of red meat, so then neither does DD. We had to switch to the vitamins without iron because of staining on DD's teeth. (It went away once we went to the iron-free) So to be sure she's getting enough iron, we make sure she gets a lot of spinach (and basically any dark green veggie), beans, lentils, wheat germ (loves it in her yogurt or mixed into pancake batter), oatmeal, tofu, even sweet potatoes are a good source. 

DS 5 years old
    DD 2 years old
    {Baby GIRL due 6.1}

• imageMrs.AMB07:
    imagebigbear:

Raisins have a good amount of iron and are really good for you in general.

Just be careful with raisins because they're a choke food until age 2-3.

We don't eat a lot of red meat, so then neither does DD. We had to switch to the vitamins without iron because of staining on DD's teeth. (It went away once we went to the iron-free) So to be sure she's getting enough iron, we make sure she gets a lot of spinach (and basically any dark green veggie), beans, lentils, wheat germ (loves it in her yogurt or mixed into pancake batter), oatmeal, tofu, even sweet potatoes are a good source. 

Hm, weird our pedi never said anything about that. Not that it doesn't make sense though! lol  We of course watch her with everything so we feel she can have those too. She actually doesn't eat plain raisins, she likes them in cinamon raisin bread.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"