3rd Trimester

Doctors that make you uncomfortable

My OB is in a multi-doctor practice, she is the only one I see for appointments unless its an uh-o appointment that i need something checked out on short notice. Anyways I saw one of the other doctors in her practice last week and completely disliked her. She was not personable and made me bleed during an internal (which my normal doctor has never made me bleed before). I was just completely uncomfortable around her. My doctor is on call the week after my due date (which im prepared to go pass my EDD anyways) but it turns out the doctor I dislike is oncall the week of my due date. I DO NOT want her near me, my vagina, or my child. Is there anyway around having to deal with her if I go while she's oncall? How does it work usually if you refuse to have a certain doctor?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Doctors that make you uncomfortable

• I would talk to your doctor about it.  My BFF goes to a practice with two doctors, loves her doc and loathes the other one.  She explained her fears about having the other doctor deliver and her doc assured her she would be there for her birth. 

I just think you need to be honest with your doctor.

• In my practice, you can't refuse to have the on-call doctor deliver your baby, unless you're in a lawsuit-type situation.

It is pretty common to bleed during an internal, FYI.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I would discuss it with your regular doctor, but be prepared that the one you don't like might be the on-call when you deliver.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh man, I feel your pain and hope it works out for you.

My doc is part of a group of 3 that rotate weeks on call at the hospital.  Thankfully, we have a c-section scheduled so I don't have to worry about Dr. Dickhead coming to deliver my baby. A couple years ago I miscarried and my PCP sent me to him to have everything checked out afterward.  This was the first time seeing this OB so he knew practically nothing of my medical history, etc.  I was 40 then and  he actually said to me that I have no business getting pregnant and having babies because I  had recently been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and have hypothyroidism and I was 40 years old.  Seriously???  In my then vulnerable state I inquired about birth control.  He said noway was he putting me on birth control and that I needed to just have my tubes tied.  I don't ever want that man near me or my child.

Thankfully I listened to my Endo who told me it would be challenging but diabetics have healthy babies all the time.  So far, in my situation, he's been pretty spot on. 

• imagePeanutR1:
    Not really...that's kind of part of the territory with a group practice. And are you really going to refuse medical attn if the time comes?  

this.  When you see an OB at a group practice, you should have the understanding that it may not be your doctor who delivers your baby.  If you are uncomfortable with this you need to go to an OB who works alone has his/her own practice.  Also, how do you really know it is the OB's fault that you bled after an internal?  There are a lot of factors to consider and a lot going on down there in the last few weeks that could make you bleed after an internal. 

• I would talk to your doctor, but I don't know that there is much you can do about it.  With that said, when I delivered DS, I only saw the doctor for the end of pushing part, so barely at all.  I wouldn't sweat it too much.  At that point, you're just going to want the baby out and not really care who is on the other end of it.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They have told me that I can't even pick my doctor, whoever is working at the time will deliver the baby. That is why they have me on rotation, meeting all of them. I have been rotating since 8 weeks along and STILL am not finished meeting all of them. So it could be worse. Try not to worry about it, I don't think there is much you can do aside from talk to the doctor you like about your concerns. I think not having your choice of doctor is pretty normal though.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I totally understand; I liked the Dr I had during all of my exams with DS, but on the day of delivery she was out of town.  So I had a horrible woman that had made me bleed during an internal - it was awful.  The nurses at the hospital told me I was free to choose any doctor that was on call at the hospital that day, and it would all work out fine.  Talk to your doctor about your fears now, and if it comes time to deliver and you get that horrible doctor, just ask the nurses at the hospital if there's a better option. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When I was pregnant with DD, I had a miserable appointment with one of the physicians in the practice.  She made me very uncomfortable, made some rude comments, and just had a horrible bedside manner.

I was hoping and praying that she would not be my delivering physician....and guess what - she was!  But on that day, she was perfect!  Encouraging, supportive, and friendly...everything she wasn't during my office visit.

Looking back, she may have just been having an off day.  At the end of the day, I was just happy to have ANY trained professional there for the delivery.  She's done this way more than I have, and when it counted most, she did fine!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm kind of the same way about a certain OB at our hospital. I actually had her as my OB for awhile last year, but switched after what I believe was a lapse in medical judgement on her part that could have ended badly for me. Given my history of fallopian tube surgery I was at EXTREMELY high risk for ectopic pregnancy and when I told her I was pregnant she ordered the serial beta hcg's and then proceeded to go on her 3 week vacation without telling me a different doctor to follow up with. Being a nurse I knew the danger and followed up with an NP that I'd seen for infertility, but she's not an OB. Well, anyway before my OB got back from vacation I'd had a ruptured ectopic and surgery.  Had I been a completely uninformed patient it could have ended a lot worse.

Needless to say I want this OB no where near me or my child. They have excellent MW's at my hospital and hopefully I won't have any complications where I need an OB.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Talk to your doctor,maybe something can be worked out. my ob practice has 3 doctors that i have to see at least 2 times. i went to the female doc in the beginning and was told i had to see the 2 male docs. 2 times and then i could go back to the female doc. which i love, she is so calming and nice! however i have been stuck with a male doctor since December and every week i ask to go back to the female doc. and she is either booked or not taking appts. last week i thougth i was in with her and they changed my appt. that morning. i like the male doc. well enough i just really feel more comfortable with the female doc. it totally sucks when you are not comfortable with a doctor, this is such a stressful time to begin with! hope it all works out for you!
  • imagedowntown80:

When I was pregnant with DD, I had a miserable appointment with one of the physicians in the practice.  She made me very uncomfortable, made some rude comments, and just had a horrible bedside manner.

I was hoping and praying that she would not be my delivering physician....and guess what - she was!  But on that day, she was perfect!  Encouraging, supportive, and friendly...everything she wasn't during my office visit.

Looking back, she may have just been having an off day.  At the end of the day, I was just happy to have ANY trained professional there for the delivery.  She's done this way more than I have, and when it counted most, she did fine!

This almost exactly!

The dr wasn't rude just seemed disinterested at the appt and my sister joked that she would deliver dd.  She was right the and I couldn't have been happier with her.

My practice had 5 obs and I like them all, I am thankful that I am this lucky.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm in a clinic that uses a team of OBs too, and so far there's at least one that I don't like. But unfortunately I'm pretty sure it just depends on who's on call. :( Though I will add that it's always good to voice your concerns and see if anything can be done.
    "You get in the bowl." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • My hospital has 2 docs on call at all times and you have some wiggle room within those 2. If the doc that delivered DD was on call this time, I'd tell him to go straight to he!!.  He was an unprofessional a-hole and I am beyond thankful that he no longer practices medicine. Talk to your doc about your concerns and remember the OB usually just swoops in and catches the baby. That's it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"