February 2013 Moms
Options

Very nervous about being in labor! Any tips??

This is my first child and I'm really nervous and scared about going into labor... Any tips people can give me?

Re: Very nervous about being in labor! Any tips??

• Options

I'm nervous too. I think you just have to go in knowing that not everything goes to plan. To expect a perfect experience and then be told something that wasn't in your specific plan may make you nervous. Obviously if you plan to deliver vaginally and end up with a c/s that can be a scary thing, but if it's what is best for the baby and you then that's what needs to be done.

Also when the dr says push, push...and when the dr says stop, stop. I've heard that helps reduce the risk of tearing, although it's not guaranteed.

• Options
    I am freaking out about it, I have no tips but I am very scared too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was really nervous when I had my daughter but I found labour to be much less dramatic then movies make it seem! lol. I didn't find labour too bad to be honest. And while it's going on the only thing you can think of is how exciting it's going to be to meet your baby!! <3 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Just know that every labor is different but MANY people have great experiences and you can, too! My first DD was born after my water broke and I didn't have any contractions so I got pitocin (I know, the devil according to the bump) but contractions really weren't that bad. After 3 hours or so I had one or two that were more painful and I asked for an epidural. Within 30 minutes I was ready to push and that was that. I was sore and tender for a while but recovered well and quickly.

With DD2 I started having contractions Saturday evening and yeah, they made me wince and hold really still, but I never felt like crying, screaming, moaning, or any of that jazz that can make labor look scary. I made it to 6cm with some walking (and being told that the nurses thought I looked too happy to REALLY be in labor) and then stalled there for a while so I asked for an epidural. Felt no pain after that, just hung out in bed for a while until I was fully dilated, literally pushed one time and baby slid out.

Again I'm a little sore and tender but nothing that ibuprofin can't fix, and I have no regrets! Labor seemed really scary to me, too, but just wasn't a big deal in the end either time. 

• Options
    Reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth helped me.  

We are so thankful that our second daughter, Lillian Elizabeth "Lily", was born healthy and happy on February 11, 2013.  We love her to pieces.  

We lost our first daughter, Hannah Grace on May 4, 2011.  She was buried on May 14 during a beautiful service at my home church. We are grateful that if she could not be here with us, that she is healed and whole with the Lord. We look forward to the day when we will get to meet her. We love her so much.

• Options

I was nervous too! Then when I was in labor I kept telling myself, "This is almost over," during contractions. Keep telling yourself that and that everything will be fine. Repeat it, repeat it, repeat it! 

Remind yourself that things you're afraid of are probably all going to work out, and there's a silver lining to just about everything!

Try hard to stay positive! 

• Options
    I'm totally freaking out. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    i'm really scared too but it doesn't last forever.
  • Options

I'm a FTM and also pretty dang nervous. The closer I get, the more nervous I get. 

I just keep telling myself that I can do this, and it won't last forever. I've felt physical pain - intense physical pain, even - and it didn't kill me. Neither will this. It's *just* pain. PLUS, past physical pains never led to me holding a sweet little baby in my arms, so, it'll be more than worth it. I'm going to try to see it as a life adventure - my very first birth - and try to embrace the experience.

It'll hurt, but you'll have a baby at the end of it all, and it'll be something you'll remember for the rest of your life. That's kind of awesome, don't you think?

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"