Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Toddler, Twin or Full Bed?

What will/did you transition your toddler to post-crib? 

DD is in a convertible crib now, and we're debating transitioning her when LO2 is born (she'll be 21 mo's).  Our options are to:

1) Buy a simple crib for LO2, and convert DD's crib to a toddler bed when she's ready, then full bed later (we have extra full mattresses already).  No rush on transitioning, but pay up now for the extra crib & mattress that won't be used very long.

2) Transition DD to a Twin bed - Buy a new twin bed & mattress for DD, and reuse her old crib for LO2. 

3) Transition DD to a Full bed - Buy a new bed frame, reuse our old full size mattresses.  Her old crib goes to LO2.  In a couple years, convert that crib to a full size bed for LO2.

We prefer to put LO2 in the nursery ASAP.  However, our house is being renovated so we won't even move back in until a couple weeks after LO2 is born, so we'll have him/her in the PnP in our room until then.  We are Green, but if this is a girl, they may want to share a room down the road (2 twin beds would fit in 1 room, but not 2 full beds).  WWYD?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Toddler, Twin or Full Bed?

• I would do 1, I dont want to rush a transition and plan to go to 3 years if I can.  Plus we purchased IKEA cribs where you can take the side off for use as a toddler bed which I know many people use till 4 or 5, so there is still a lot of years to get out of that.  You can get an IKEA crib and mattress without spending a ton.

You would have to buy something new, but you avoid the potential disturbance if she isnt ready for the transition, and give yourself more time to figure out if you want a twin or full depending on what happens down the road. 

• We're not expecting, so our plan is to do #1.  We don't have to worry about a crib for another child though.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We converted DS's crib to the toddler bed, but we're not expecting another baby. It made the most sense to us since we had to make the move to the toddler bed much earlier than anticipated due to climbing. 

If he had been closer to 2 years old, I would have moved him to a twin mattress on the floor.  So I guess in your situation, that's what I would do.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We did a twin mattress on the floor when DD turned 2. We did that for a few months and then moved her into her bed. It went great.

We moved DS shortly before he turned 2.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We switched Chloe into a toddler bed a few nights ago and it went great.  I am not expecting so this was a logical choice for us.  If we were expecting I would have switched her to the twin bed we already have.

If I was in your position I would put her in the full bed.  No point in buying extra beds/cribs.  

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We're going to straight to a full bed. I already have on that's fairly new and in great shape. I'm not about to buy another. She learn with what she has/all she knows.
  • I would do the full mattress on the floor for a while (since you already have it).  I also saw something on pinterest where you can put some very short couch legs under the box spring, cover box spring sides with cute fabric, and just put the mattress on top with sheets.  Then if you want you can put pool noodles under the sheets along the edges of the bed to discourage rolling off.  I think this is what we will do with DD soon.  Then you wouldn't have to buy a bed frame, either.  :)
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• I'd do #1 as well.  That's what we're going to do as well.  DS is 16 months and we just converted his crib into a toddler bed today.  We aren't expecting, but we are trying for another baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Our crib converts into a toddler bed. Has anyone had trouble with their child falling out of the toddler bed since there is no rail there?
  • I was plagued with the same questions but made a final decision last week.

LO1 has a nice convertible crib with matching dresser and book shelf. When finally converted to a full size bed it will still be a very nice little girls bedroom set.  She sleeps 7am-7pm and naps well. I am not going to push her out of her crib anytime soon for everyones sanity.  She will be 21/22months when #2 arrives.

I looked into buying a nice twin size bedroom set same brand and it would actually be more money then buying  a nice convertible crib bedroom set. 

I bought LO#2 a convertible crib and matching dresser.  

I have no intentions of them sharing a room. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • we bought a fairly expensive set for DD, with 2 matching dressers and a convertible crib 

we transitioned DD from bedshare to the toddler bed (never used the crib, just converted it)

now we are expecting #2. i think we are going to put DD1 in a full size bed, because we have the mattress already, and i will probably find a cute but cheap dresser at a garage sale and paint it girly.

we have also discussed getting a daybed with a trundle for her.

in your situation, i would do the full size since you already have it. 

• imageLalaMama81:

imagedairygirl19:
    We're going to straight to a full bed. I already have on that's fairly new and in great shape. I'm not about to buy another. She learn with what she has/all she knows.

I would do this in your situation. No way would I buy a brand new twin set when you have a full mattress and I think toddler beds are a rip off.

Just put the mattress on the floor initially if you are worried.  

Exactly this!  We are getting DD a new twin (possibly) full bedroom set and using the nursery furniture for #2. Since you are ready have a full mattress, I would use it!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would do #1. Going from a crib to a twin bed would be scary I would think, since the bed would be so much bigger. Right now DD has a convertible crib that goes from crib to toddler bed to twin bed. It was $109. I'd rather put some extra money aside to get the same type of bed for our second child so that I don't have to keep buying beds. Plus the wood is prettier and more durable for when they go through the jumping on the bed phase.

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD is now 19 months and sleeps on a floor bed. DH wasn't comfortable moving her into a real bed at 16 months so we went for this option. She is doing great and it's so much easier for me to put her to bed with my big tummy :)

DD does have a pull out double in her room (it's a very good one that's more like a futon) which she'll move onto when the new baby moves onto the floor bed then the baby'll get a bed to go with the mattress.

I didn't want to get a second crib because I didn't think DD would be in it for too much longer. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Hi there! We're on the same timeframe, as DD will be 21mos when Baby 2 arrives. I personally don't think kids should have fullsized beds. It seems overindulgent and I'd rather have them come to me in their teenage years to negotiate a full size bed for chores or help pay for it as a teaching opportunity. What I plan to do is put DD in a twin bed with temporary side rails so she doesn't fall out as much, and put Baby 2 in DD's old crib. In our case, Baby 2 will have a few months in our room, though, delaying the transition somewhat as compared to you guys. Either way, good luck with this!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"