Baby Showers

Outrageous Gifts?

What are some outrageous gifts that you have seen people registered for? I guess the people whose showers I've gone to have been mostly practical. I can't recall anyone asking for something like 150+ diaper bags. Most of the people kept stuff under 50 with a majority of stuff being under 20 (which it should be).

On the flip side, most of my friends and family have been thankful for any and all support they get. 

Re: Outrageous Gifts?

• Video game systems and power tools.
  • Do you mean outrageously priced?  Or just-- like, I can't believe she registered for a baby mani- pedi gift certificate?

I had a lot of items on my registry in the 30-50 dollar range, but I absolutely had  some larger ticket items on there-- my travel system, an extra car seat, a video monitor, a pack and play.  I don't really consider any of these items "outrageous" but they were all north of the 100.00 mark.  

My two best girlfriends chipped in for the travel system, my aunt and cousin got us the video monitor and a few other very generous guests who were able to do so gifted some of the higher ticket items. I didn't expect any of it-- but I was pleasantly surprised and honestly overwhelmed by everyone's generosity. 

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Mascara, pads, and booze. 

IMO anything for the baby is fine to register for.  I have items more than $100.  No one is required to buy off  the registry and it's something the baby will need.

• Just to play devil's advocate, check to see if some of the crazy items are marked as fulfilled.  I know some stores add anything that's purchased with a registry item to the registry....A few years ago I bought my friend some gifts off her wedding registry at Target, and decided to treat myself to some M&Ms at checkout...when I got home, I double-checked online to make sure my items were marked as "purchased" because the cashier was having a hard time- they were marked as purchased, but so were the M&Ms I bought myself!  I'd hate anyone side-eyeing her because I was craving chocolate!
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAnne1989:

What are some outrageous gifts that you have seen people registered for? I guess the people whose showers I've gone to have been mostly practical. I can't recall anyone asking for something like 150+ diaper bags. Most of the people kept stuff under 50 with a majority of stuff being under 20 (which it should be).

On the flip side, most of my friends and family have been thankful for any and all support they get. 

I do not agree with the bolded.  I'd say the majority of my stuff was more in the $25-50 range and a few $100-200.  We bought our own travel system but it was well over $300.  I went in with 2 others on a travel system for a friend of ours and it was also over $300.  I would have spent over $100 by myself so it was NBD. 

If you know your family/friends don't/won't spend much on showers gifts then it is probably a good idea to keep the prices of things lower.  My family isn't known for spending a lot but they do go in on things together so I got some that way (for instance:  my breast pump).

Funny a game system was mentioned...that would be odd.  When we got married we actually got an XBox and a couple of games as a gift (we did not register for it).  Matter of fact it took a couple of months to find out who it was from since there was NO NAME on any of the packaging.

• If you are talking about price, what is outrageous to some is not outrageous to another. No one i know would blink an eye at a 150 plus diaper bag. I think anything, as long as it's for the baby, is perfectly acceptable.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• I  had a MyRegistry list and I included a chest freezer, new washer and dryer, reverse osmosis filter and a new camera lens...

I just kept those items private... but if I didn't I'm sure I would have heard about them being outrageous! LOL!

I think that a registry is a registry - if it is for the baby I have no qualms - though it is nice to have a lot of lower priced items, it is not all that should be on there - I had a lot of people give group gifts - -  ALL of my big ticket items were purchased... We hardly have anything to shop for! We are incredibly blessed to be honest...

Pregnancy Ticker PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageBliss+Berry:
    imageAnne1989:

As long as its for the baby, I don't have an issue with anything on the registry. Registries are simply a list of things the MTB plans on buying and it's not mandatory that a guest shop from that list.  

I think your suggestion that the majority of items be under the $20 price range is more than ridiculous.  

I agree with Bliss. I didn't register, however, if I did and only registered for things under 20, no one would have purchased off of it or 1 person would have bought everything.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageBliss+Berry:
    imageAnne1989:

As long as its for the baby, I don't have an issue with anything on the registry. Registries are simply a list of things the MTB plans on buying and it's not mandatory that a guest shop from that list.  

I think your suggestion that the majority of items be under the $20 price range is more than ridiculous.  

This.  I had my stroller on my registry bc MIL wanted to buy it and it was easy for her to see which one to get.  I also had my video monitor on there and my sisters chipped in and bought it for me.  What is wrong with putting what you need on there?  It's not like you are demanding that people buy these high price items but if no one does I'd like them to be on my registry so I can use my completion discount on them.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I registered for a floor lamp and a trash can, lol.  But everyone I invited to my small shower knew we had just moved into an apartment with no provided lighting (short of the kitchen and the bathroom).  I needed some sort of independent lighting system.  I also wanted a trashcan with a step-lid because I think diaper genies are ridiculous. 

That being said, I marked both completed off my registry because I found a great lamp at a garage sale and scored a great deal on my own trash can. 

Not baby shower related, but I just went to a wedding where they registered for legos, batteries, air fresheners and starwars related pillows/lamps.  They also registered for a bunch of movies and a new dvd player.  Second registry was at Macy's and there was nothing less than $30.  Their china selection was $150 a place setting to complete.  Yeeeeeeaaahhh...sorry about that, but I bought off of registry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageAnne1989:

with a majority of stuff being under 20 (which it should be).

This is the weirdest comment I have seen on here in a while.

I did have a friend who had 3 very upscale registries, complete with Uppa baby strollers, a bugaboo, furniture, a very, very nice glider (in the $800 range), and so forth. But her family has $$$ and judging from what she got off her wedding registry it's pretty standard in her large family that they will buy MTB everything she registers for. 

She has plenty of things on there in my price range and I have not had any problems narrowing down a nice gift for her (I am currently unemployed and my gift budget is pretty small, unfortunately!)  

• I don't believe there is one set price that most items should be under, I think prices should vary. And depending on level of disposable income of those who you are inviting, what price range the majority of items should be.

I may be in the minority but I do have a problem with the MTB registering for "designer" diaper bags. I do not believe that is a item for the baby, it is a luxury for the mom. After all the baby doesn't care if its stuff it transported in a Walmart brand diaper bag or Coach as long as it gets there. If mommy needs a designer bag, mommy should buy it. 

• It's kind of a double standard to say "I don't mind buying anything as long as its for e baby" but then say "baby showers are for the mother to be not celebrating the new baby". Or to side eye giving a luxury item or gift specifically for the mother to be, when supposedly the purpose of a baby shower is to "shower the mother to be". 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAnne1989:
    What are some outrageous gifts that you have seen people registered for? I guess the people whose showers I've gone to have been mostly practical. I can't recall anyone asking for something like 150 diaper bags. Most of the people kept stuff under 50 with a majority of stuff being under 20 which it should be. nbsp;On the flip side, most of my friends and family have been thankful for any and all support they get.nbsp;

I put a few things that were 200 on my registry and still had issues with people complaining because all my big items got picked up quickly. My two schools and DH two schools did group gifts and wiped out our large items, both my grandmas bought larger items, mil and mom bought larger items my aunts went off registry to buy a beautiful glider because they all pitch in together to get a big item and stuff wasn't left. DH and I both have 3 sisters who bought us bags filled with smaller items because our big stuff was picked up. Maybe that one of the blessings of a large family and DH and I def didn't expect it. We registered intending to buy everything we put on the registry. N

• imageAnne1989:
    What are some outrageous gifts that you have seen people registered for? I guess the people whose showers I've gone to have been mostly practical. I can't recall anyone asking for something like 150 diaper bags. Most of the people kept stuff under 50 with a majority of stuff being under 20 which it should be. nbsp;On the flip side, most of my friends and family have been thankful for any and all support they get.nbsp;

I put a few things that were 200 on my registry and still had issues with people complaining because all my big items got picked up quickly. My two schools and DH two schools did group gifts and wiped out our large items, both my grandmas bought larger items, mil and mom bought larger items my aunts went off registry to buy a beautiful glider because they all pitch in together to get a big item and stuff wasn't left. DH and I both have 3 sisters who bought us bags filled with smaller items because our big stuff was picked up. Maybe that one of the blessings of a large family and DH and I def didn't expect it. We registered intending to buy everything we put on the registry. Not because we expected others to buy it.

• I had plenty of stuff that was more than $20 bucks. Several people went in teogether and bought big gifts. Actually it was a little competitive so even though my mom bought the pack and play and the ils bought the travel system, I added them to the registry and marked them as purchased so that people would know that I had them.

I got tickled at my DH when we registered at Target. He had custody of the scanner gun and had himself at big time. Once we finished in the baby section, he said Where to? Toys? Sporting Goods? I had to break it to him that once baby got old enough for that stuff that we were on our own! Stick out tongue 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • There's a difference between a car seat and a single (non-Christening) outfit that's 60+ dollars. Like asking only for designer outfits from: https://www.babycz.com/tweed-jumper-charcoal-white-shirt.html#.URCfvndZCao.
  • Not necessarily bigger ticket items like a crib or a rocker, but asking outfits from a specific designer that cost more than 100 dollars.
  • imageAnne1989:
    There's a difference between a car seat and a single (non-Christening) outfit that's 60+ dollars. Like asking only for designer outfits from: https://www.babycz.com/tweed-jumper-charcoal-white-shirt.html#.URCfvndZCao.

They can ask for whatever they want, no one is forcing you to buy it.  Who cares?  For you, $60 may seem expensive, for someone else, it can seem completely reasonable.

• imagemary35699:

I don't believe there is one set price that most items should be under, I think prices should vary. And depending on level of disposable income of those who you are inviting, what price range the majority of items should be.

I may be in the minority but I do have a problem with the MTB registering for "designer" diaper bags. I do not believe that is a item for the baby, it is a luxury for the mom. After all the baby doesn't care if its stuff it transported in a Walmart brand diaper bag or Coach as long as it gets there. If mommy needs a designer bag, mommy should buy it. 

I don't think Coach is really considered a designer brand IMO.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think that the conversation about price points is really regional/social circle based. For my showers I made sure that most of my items were at the $20 and under mark because those are typical gifts for showers in my area. If I wouldn't have had a large selection of that price point people probably would have been annoyed because they wanted to get me things that I actually wanted. I also had a variety of things on my list that were higher priced but didn't expect any of them to be purchased by others (and they weren't because no one teamed up no gifts). I was able to use the completion coupons and it helped me to stay organized with what I still needed/wanted. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't seen anything that I consider outrageous as far as price goes, to each their own, and each MTB should know her limits. This was the most outrageous gifts I've seen though in another way:

My DH's cousin had a shower for her 3rd (in 3yrs so she had all her baby stuff still) but because it was a girl they wanted to give her a shower. I didn't go but looked over her registry because I was curious.

Most of her items were for her older two boys. Jackets, shoes, clothing, even toys and a DVD player for their room. Hardly anything was for the baby she was about to have, because her church GAVE her everything she wanted when they redid their nursery, including diapers.

She basically had a shower for her daughter in order to get things for her sons.

• I agree with the OP, 20-50 is a decent price range. My registry is $25 and under. From my research there is a lot of unnecessary baby stuff on the market, my nursery does not have to match Mariah's, Beyonce's or Kim Kardashian in order to be both beautiful and safe. Honestly, most needed baby items are $20 or less. My baby bed, stroller, carseat, changing table myself and my SO are buying because we wanted a baby not everyone else. I have a $20 baby bag on my registry, but if I see a designer bag I want I'll get that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"