May 2011 Moms

potty training

So it was my DH's turn to give DS a bath and he decided to set him on the toilet and told him to go pee. And he did! And then my DH was so excited he told him to poop, so he did that too! Anyway, I was not even thinking about potty training yet (we are still adjusting to the new baby). Anybody have any tips or books or anything that you suggest? I am a little at a lost because it was not even on my radar yet but maybe DS is ready and I want to make sure to jump on it if he is.
DS1 5/15/11
DS2 12/20/12

Re: potty training

• I started by putting Audrey on the potty at every diaper change and whenever I go to the restroom. She got a really bad diaper rash and the only way get it to heal was naked time. I put the potty in the living room and let her run around without bottoms. Surprisingly we only had a few accidents. She was very good about going to the potty then asking me for a treat. However after the rash healed and the weather got colder I started putting her clothes back on. Now she pretty much never uses the potty I can't wait until she starts to communicate better and tell me she needs to potty. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Kelly here suggested a book to me called Oh Crap! Potty Training. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on it because my local library doesn't have it, but I might have to get it on amazon. DS is so ready but am I'm not! Tongue Tied
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSteph&Harry08:
    Kelly here suggested a book to me called Oh Crap! Potty Training. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on it because my local library doesn't have it, but I might have to get it on amazon. DS is so ready but am I'm not! Tongue Tied

It doesn't exist as a hard copy, only a pdf, so I doubt it would be possible to get it through any library. I still recommend it - she talks about how you're first trying to get your kid to go from "clueless" to "I peed" to "I'm peeing" to "I have to pee," and on the day I started trying (I quit because I was too exhausted to carry through with it pretty much alone since DH was gone so much during that time, not because DD showed any resistance or anything), I could literally pinpoint when she shifted to each of those stages.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• My daughter was so excited about her potty when we bought it but she doesn't like using it. She will sit on it only when her diaper is on. But I think she knows when she needs to go because she says 'potty' but then it is usually to late.... I am trying to just wait til she is ready but I think after she turns 2 I'm going to get serious about it.
  • I started potty training or shall I say, "potty learning" in December and we are having a few difficulties here and there.  She goes when I put her on the potty, usually pee.  She has gone poop but she's having an unexplained medical problem with the pooping in general that we need to get checked at our next pediatrician's appointment.  I DO, however, suggest the book "Early-Start Potty Training"  by Linda Sonna.  GREAT book, so great, in fact, you'll wish you'd started earlier after reading a few pages.  GREAT resource for all of us! here is the link in Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Early-Start-Potty-Training-Linda-Sonna/dp/007145800X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1360260175&sr=1-1&keywords=early+potty+training  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"