April 2013 Moms

This isn't 1950!

I live in a major city, but commute over an hour to a small town for work everyday. It's not exactly an ideal place to work, but I got offered a large raise to transfer to that store, so I did. I knew that town was a little backwards, but I didn't realize just how backwards until I got pregnant. My store is in a very small mall, so news travels fast. As soon as I started showing, everybody knew I was pregnant. Well while I was buying something in a neighboring store the other day, their manager told me she was really going to miss me after I had the baby. I told her that it's just till June and then I'll be back. She looked at me like I'd grown a 2nd head and asked what I was talking about. I said that I'd be back from maternity leave in early June. She was still looking at me like I was crazy, and said, "But you can't work after you have the baby! You need to stay home and take care of your daughter". I asked her if she'd lost her mind and reminded her that she knows that my husband only works part time right now because he's in school. I asked just who she thought was going to pay my mortgage if I quit. She answered that it didn't matter, and if I was going to be have a baby, I needed to stay home and take care of her. Since this conversation, I've had the same conversation with at least 3 other people. I think it's crazy that they can't accept a working mother in 2013!
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers IAmPregnant Ticker image

Re: This isn't 1950!

• Weird.  Everybody I know is a working mom.   and none of us are terribly happy about it.  Hahahaha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ugh!  I hate it when people feel like your family's choices are up for discussion.  A lot of people have challenged me on my return to work date too, but like you, it is a non-negotiable, because my DH is a student and my income pays our mortgage. 

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow! Can you believe people actually say stuff like that out loud?!?!?  I have run into that a handful of times myself . . . And I sort of am in the same place as you.  I make more than DH does - AND my company offers way better benefits, so I carry our health insurance, too.  Of course I am going back to work after our son is born.

DH actually had to explain this to HIS boss, which was a crazy convo that I wish I had been able to hear.  He even said that if anyone was staying home with the baby, it's going to be him! 

Giod luck with everything after you go back to work . . . .if they're that quick to offer judgement and "advice" now, I'm sure you're going to get plenty more after your daughter arrives. 

Myles was so pumped about the baby . . . until he figured out he'd have to share all his toys!!!
    BabyFetus Ticker>
  • imagehisbabygirl76:

I am currently a working mom and one of those odd ones that , while looking forward to a few months off, will also be looking forward to going back to work.

. I think the battle between SAHM/WOHM has always been such a stupid one. Its your choice to do what works for your family and no one should give their opinion on that. But of course rainbows with pots of gold and unicorns dont exist and someone will always say something about it.

I wholeheartedly agree!  The point is to have a CHOICE!  I will probably be ready to go back to work too.  I doubt I'm cut out to be a SAHM, but I'd be a killer houswife - how do I apply for THAT job?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • How irritating!!! I think people need to accept that everyone is going to do what is best for their individual families. You are putting your daughter first by working. How would she get clothes, a house to live in, food, etc...if not for her hard working parents? ha. 
  • That is super weird. I am a SAHM and I would have been offended if someone during my first pregnancy would have just assumed that staying home was my plan. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"