Baby Names

Eleanor vs Nora

My husband and I have somewhat different opinion on names.  I like older classic names where he likes more of the popular classic names.  I like the name Eleanor with a nn  Nora (or Ellie).  DH despises the name Eleanor saying it is an old lady name and she would get made fun of, etc.  He does like the name Nora though and it was actually on his list.  I am unsure about using the name Nora as the full name as I feel it is more of a nickname.  I don't like any other of the full names for nn Nora that I am aware of - Honora or Lenora.

DD#1 is Josephine with a nn Josie.  Thoughts/opinions on Nora vs Eleanor or suggestions or a compromise or other similar name with both might like?? 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eleanor vs Nora

• I think both are really great options, but I personally prefer Nora to Eleanor. Nora can absolutely stand on its own - I don't think of it as just a NN. (And I'm not generally a fan of using what are traditionally NNs as given stand-alone names.)
    FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Nora is a great full name. GL!
    Birthday

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I think Nora can stand alone, but I prefer Eleanor w/ nn Nora.

Your husband is badly misinformed about current naming trends if he thinks your little Eleanor is going to be made fun of. Especially since you live in a city. Eleanor is the #107 name in Illinois and it's a safe bet that it's more popular in Chicago and its suburbs than in rural areas. Consider Eleanor's rank high ranking in DC (#19), Minnesota (#42), Oregon (#55), Vermont (#71), Massachusetts (#77), Virginia (#82), and Wisconsin (#87). Basically, if there are a lot of relatively affluent white people around, Eleanor is very common.

• Is there any way to compromise that her legal name be Eleanor and only call her Nora? My patents did this with me and I'm so glad they did, they still call my by the nn but I choose to go by the full name at work and when meeting new people. All through grade school I was solely known by my nn.
  • Eleanor is a form of Helen. How about using something within that family of names?

Helena, Helene, Helen, Elaine and Elena all go well with Josephine.

• I love Nora! Eleanor is ok but i much more prefer Nora

• I toy with the same thing but we finally decided if this baby is a girl she will likely be Nora. My Dh feels the same way about Eleanor.

I think it can totally stand alone as a full name..
    Think of all these short and acceptable full names..
    Anne
    Ava
    Jill
    Julie
  • I grew up with an old lady name "Lillian" and didn't get made fun of.
  • I think Nora as a stand alone is totally fine. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

I lost my angels 07/2010, 04/2017, 10/2017

Meimsx no more
  • I've always thought of Nora as a standalone name. I do love Eleanor too. I have two nieces named Eleanor (one on each side) and as far as I know they've never been teased for their name. Since those names are so popular now I don't think that's a valid claim as long as you stay away from really unattractive names like Bertha. ;)
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Nora can absolutely stand on its own, but I prefer Eleanor. I think Josephine and Eleanor sound great together!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I like Nora alot better and definitely think it stands alone.  It is also a classic name.
  • Thanks everybody.  It is good to hear so many people think Nora can stand on its own but I do still prefer Eleanor as the baby's full name.  Funny thing is that DH absolutely hates the name because it is "dated" yet it is more common than DD's name.....I just don't know if I can do it as a full name.  I can pretty much guarantee DH will not budge on this one, which is disappointing since the reasons he doesn't like it aren't even valid.  At least we have some time to think.  We are team green so maybe it will be a boy and not even an issue....although that brings on another set of issues!!!
  • I don't think Eleanor is any older than Josephine.  Did he have to be talked into your DD's name?

I actually love Lenora, but I could see how it's not everyone's style. 

Nora or Norah could totally stand alone. 

You could use Honor (without the "a") and still nn her Nora.

Other Nora names:

Alianora, Senora, Norine, Noor, Helen, Ellen, Lora, Annora, Onora... 

• imagekaylynne:

I don't think Eleanor is any older than Josephine.  Did he have to be talked into your DD's name?

I actually love Lenora, but I could see how it's not everyone's style. 

Nora or Norah could totally stand alone. 

You could use Honor (without the "a") and still nn her Nora.

Other Nora names:

Alianora, Senora, Norine, Noor, Helen, Ellen, Lora, Annora, Onora... 

No, he absolutely loved Josephine right from the start.  To me the styles are very similar so it is surprising that he is so adverse to this name.

• Nora can definitely stand on its own.  However, like you, I prefer it as a nickname for Eleanor.  Especially since the older daughter is Josephine, nicknamed Josie, I would tend to want to give the younger daughter a nickname-able name, too.  Josephine and Eleanor.  Josie and Nora.  Could it be more perfect?

You may be able to convince your husband that Eleanor is coming back into style.  Show him the Social Security Administration's website.  Eleanor peaked in 1920 at #20.  In the 1970's, it was definitely an "old lady" name, ranking in the 600s.  Now it's back up to #150.  People like it again, and people are using it.  And he wouldn't have to call hear Eleanor -- she could always be Nora to him.

If you can't convince him, just using Nora might be a good compromise.  Granted, she wouldn't have a nickname like Josephine/Josie, but it's a name from both your lists.  It definitely has the old-fashioned style you want, and it doesn't feel old-ladyish to him.

Other names to consider:

• Clara
    • Cordelia (Cora)
    • Evelyn (Evie)
    • Adeline (Addie)
    • Adelaide (Addie)
    • Beatrice (Bea or Bebe or Betsy)
    • Eliza (Lizzy)
    • Violet
    • Celia
    • Cecily
    • Cecilia (Cece)
    • Rosalind (Rosie)
    • Rosemary (Rosie)
    • Amelia
    • Charlotte (popular, but old-fashioned)
    • Annabelle (Annie)

What other names are on his list?  Is he the Sophia/Emily/Lily type?  If so, does he realize that not so long ago, THOSE were seen as old lady names?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebonniebrownhair:

Nora can definitely stand on its own.  However, like you, I prefer it as a nickname for Eleanor.  Especially since the older daughter is Josephine, nicknamed Josie, I would tend to want to give the younger daughter a nickname-able name, too.  Josephine and Eleanor.  Josie and Nora.  Could it be more perfect?

You may be able to convince your husband that Eleanor is coming back into style.  Show him the Social Security Administration's website.  Eleanor peaked in 1920 at #20.  In the 1970's, it was definitely an "old lady" name, ranking in the 600s.  Now it's back up to #150.  People like it again, and people are using it.  And he wouldn't have to call hear Eleanor -- she could always be Nora to him.

If you can't convince him, just using Nora might be a good compromise.  Granted, she wouldn't have a nickname like Josephine/Josie, but it's a name from both your lists.  It definitely has the old-fashioned style you want, and it doesn't feel old-ladyish to him.

Other names to consider:

• Clara
    • Cordelia (Cora)
    • Evelyn (Evie)
    • Adeline (Addie)
    • Adelaide (Addie)
    • Eliza (Lizzy)
    • Violet
    • Celia
    • Cecily
    • Cecilia (Cece)
    • Rosalind (Rosie)
    • Rosemary (Rosie)
    • Amelia
    • Annabelle (Annie)

What other names are on his list?  Is he the Sophia/Emily/Lily type?  If so, does he realize that not so long ago, THOSE were seen as old lady names?

On his list was Emma, Jessica, Nora, Dawn and Molly.
  • imagemimi4347:
    I think both are really great options, but I personally prefer Nora to Eleanor. Nora can absolutely stand on its own - I don't think of it as just a NN.

this  

• Both Eleanor and Nora are nice names. But, each of you isn't thrilled with one of them, so I would just start fresh with a new set of names.
    DD 9/15/12
  • Nora can definitely stand on its own.

Our Nora is an Elinor, after her great-grandmother. We get tons of compliments on her name, but who knows how her peers will react to it. "Old lady names" are "in" and seem to be gaining popularity, so I'm not too worried about it.

How is Eleanor any more old lady than Josephine, in your husband's opinion?

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• imageBanana_Pancakes09:
    imagebonniebrownhair:

Nora can definitely stand on its own.  However, like you, I prefer it as a nickname for Eleanor.  Especially since the older daughter is Josephine, nicknamed Josie, I would tend to want to give the younger daughter a nickname-able name, too.  Josephine and Eleanor.  Josie and Nora.  Could it be more perfect?

Other names to consider:

• Clara
    • Cordelia (Cora)
    • Evelyn (Evie)
    • Adeline (Addie)
    • Adelaide (Addie)
    • Eliza (Lizzy)
    • Violet
    • Celia
    • Cecily
    • Cecilia (Cece)
    • Rosalind (Rosie)
    • Rosemary (Rosie)
    • Amelia
    • Annabelle (Annie)

Josie and Molly are cute together.  Josephine and Emma.

I don't feel like Dawn and Jessica fit as well, but Jessica was coined by Shakespeare, so technically, it's a pretty old name too. 

Jess and Josie. hmmm I can't decide if it's cute or cartoony.

• My daughter is Ellery and nn Elly.
  • imageFletch82:
    I love Nora! Eleanor is ok but i much more prefer Nora

This!  

• My husband used to feel the same way - he liked Nora but I liked having the full name to fall back on if she wanted, so we compromised with Eleanor as our pick for a girl, but we'd call her Nora.  By the time I gave birth, he actually preferred Eleanor to Nora!  (But I ended up having a boy, so it was all for naught)
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Eleanor and Norah are two of my favorite names. Norah completely works as a full name in my opinion, but I like the spelling with an "h" better.
    "Bedo" - Apr. 16, '13

#2 - EDD Nov.
    15, '14
    **RATE A NAME HERE!**
  • No help here,  but wanted to let you know I feel your pain. I'm 33 weeks and we need to name a boy and a girl. DH is stuck in his childhood regarding in style names.  Drives me batty!  

My two boys are getting a surprise May 2015!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Eleanor is our number one girl name.

I nannied a girl named Norelle, which is so like Eleanor to me.  They called her Nori for short but you could easily go with Nora I think. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Eleanor is definitely not an old lady name but if he's resistant to that, Nora absolutely stands on it's own. Our DD is Norah (with an H) simply because we felt that Nora looked like a NN to something like Eleanor. Maybe something as simple as adding the H would make it more "complete" for you?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Eleanor is not a "pretty" name to me, it's a bit awkward/klunky sounding. I love Nora though.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I know you said you didn't like Lenora, but what about Lenore?  It's my middle name and I really like it  :)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I love both, and slightly prefer Nora over Eleanor.
  • imageBanana_Pancakes09:
    imagebonniebrownhair:

Josie and Molly are really cute, but I almost feel Molly is a little too informal to go with Josephine.

Jessica and Dawn are dated.  Does he realize that those will soon be "old lady" names?  So many husbands seem to think "pretty girl name" means "name of pretty girl I knew in high school." 

And, yes, Emma is too popular.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"