Two Under 2

Question for 2 under 2!

Question?! I had a Csection with my first baby on august 1, 2012 so he's 6 months old..... My husband and I are talking about trying for another because we want our babies close in age!! Anyways my question is.. People have told me if you had a csection you have to wait a year to get pregnant! Is this true?! And if you decide to get pregnant before it's been a yearthey would they consider your 2nd pregnancy high risk or what?! Thanks!! :

Re: Question for 2 under 2!

• It's certainly better for your body to wait at least one year between pregnancies if you've had a c-section as it allows your body more time to heal. You can, however, have a perfectly healthy, normal pregnancy if you do happen to get pregnant again sooner. I'd consult your doctor.

DD1 was born via c-section and I got pregnant with DD2 when she was only 9 months old. My first pregnancy was relatively text book and I had no complications so my OB was not overly concerned. I went on to have a healthy, complication free pregnancy with my 2nd and was able to deliver her via VBAC. My 2nd pregnancy was not considered high risk.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was advised to wait a year but I got a surprise BFP(night of drinking and forgotten contraception) when I was only 12wks pp. So my c-sections will only be 11 months apart. 

That being said this pregnancy has not been considered high-risk. They told me near the end they would watch my incision but other than that would do nothing else out of the ordinary unless I developed any medical conditions. I am 25 weeks now and I have had no complications as of yet.  

Edited: However, I would never recommend someone get pregnant that close together when they have had a c-section. We were not looking to get pregnant it was an oopsie.  

SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • You don't *have* to wait a year to get pregnant. It seems to be more ideal (and is the universal response by doctors) but isn't a necessity for all. The recommendation likely varies based on your age/overall health/first pregnancy/recovery--my ob said that I was fine to get pregnant whenever I felt ready at my 6 week checkup. I was not considered high risk and had an uneventful second pregnancy which was easier than my first.

I would ask your ob for more specific info based on you.

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most OBs want 18 months between deliveries for a VBAC. My OB is letting me try with 17 months in between. Maybe you could wait until your LO is 9 months to TTC?

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • We're just talking about it... Not TTC.. I just wandered how long you should wait! We'll probably wait until he's 9 months for sure!! : thanks for the input!!!
  • imagemichelle04us:
    I was advised to wait a year but I got a surprise BFPnight of drinking and forgotten contraception when I was only 12wks pp. So my csections will only be 11 months apart.nbsp;That being said this pregnancy has not been considered highrisk. They told me near the end they would watch my incision but other than that would do nothing else out of the ordinary unless I developed any medical conditions. I am 25 weeks now and I have had no complications as of yet. nbsp;Edited: However, I would never recommend someone get pregnant that close together when they have had a csection. We were not looking to get pregnant it was an oopsie. nbsp;

This for me too. Lo's will be 13 months apart. Normal OB appts until the end. The big thing they don't want to have happen is for you to contract a ton as this weakens uterine incision.
    Sweet little girl AMM born 6/13/12 via scheduled csection. Surprised with a pregnancy in September, 2012 which ended in MC in October at 7.5 weeks. Surprised again(!) with another pregnancy in November. Baby due 7/19/13. Depo clearly does not work for us!
  • Different doctors have different opinions on this. I got pregnant when my son was 8ish months. I had already asked my OB and she was fine with it. She just said due to the closeness of births I might not be a candidate for VBAC. She daid we'd have to wait closer to the end to see. But I wasn't interested in one so that was fine.
    My second pregnancy was fine and actually less complicated than the first. My second csection was also A LOT easier, but I think that was because it was a planned one instead of semiemergency.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Emergency c-section first time round. Kids are 17 months apart. Had  VBAC second time round with a bit of vacuum help as his head was MASSIVE! No complications and we're onto round 3!
    imageimageimage
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • imagemichelle04us:

I was advised to wait a year but I got a surprise BFP(night of drinking and forgotten contraception) when I was only 12wks pp. So my c-sections will only be 11 months apart. 

That being said this pregnancy has not been considered high-risk. They told me near the end they would watch my incision but other than that would do nothing else out of the ordinary unless I developed any medical conditions. I am 25 weeks now and I have had no complications as of yet.  

Edited: However, I would never recommend someone get pregnant that close together when they have had a c-section. We were not looking to get pregnant it was an oopsie.  

this! Exactly! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMechanicMama1:
    imagemichelle04us:

I was advised to wait a year but I got a surprise BFP(night of drinking and forgotten contraception) when I was only 12wks pp. So my c-sections will only be 11 months apart. 

this! Exactly! 

Me too, except, I don't have any reason why I "wouldn't" recommend getting pregnant this close, except for the fact that I'm not a candidate for VBAC.  My OB said with C/S they recommend a minimum of 1 year apart for RCS, but 18 months if you're hoping to try for VBAC.  I also got a semi-surprise BFP around 12w PP, which puts my due date almost exactly a year from my last c/s.  Because of the births being close, my OB recommends doing the rcs between 38-39 weeks, in order to avoid contracting and possible uterine rupture, but other than that, having them close hasn't been a cause for alarm.  However, we are high risk for several other things, so we're closely monitored anyway, I am not sure if any extra monitoring would have been added had I not already been labelled high risk.

Best of luck!!

ETA:  I got pregnant this time around 12w PP, but my BFP wasn't for another few weeks :)  Sorry for any confusion!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"