June 2013 Moms

Cloth Diapers

Does anyone have any insight on cloth diapers? I looked at them and I am leaning towards the bumGenius All-in-one One size fits all. Are they worth all the extra work? Having to wash them everyday the first couple of month. (planning on getting 20 or so) I firgured they would pay for themselves in about 9 months. How long will they last? Long enough for the first kid to be potty trained? How about reuseing them for our second kid? Any info is good, Thanks.

Re: Cloth Diapers

• There are some very awesome ladies on here who CD, and can give you some good answers but I would also pop over to the CD board and check things out over there.
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• oh, i didnt know there was a cloth diaper board
  • Loading the player...
  • imageshanog3:
    oh, i didnt know there was a cloth diaper board

Yup :) lurk around for a bit, and I think they might have a newbie info link at the top.

diaperjunction.com and jilliansdrawers.com have good info for CD newbies too

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• imageclizh:
    There are some very awesome ladies on here who CD, and can give you some good answers but I would also pop over to the CD board and check things out over there.

Ditto. But for what it's worth I have used the same prefolds and covers for 2 years now and going strong. This along with All my newborn stuff will be good for at least 1 more kid and probably a 3rd. It has definitely saved us money. I think I have spent about 500 total for my stash and that is a fraction of disposables. I for one have never liked AIOs, especially for newborn fit but every baby is different!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• The CD board is great.  Lurking is very informative.  I've used BumGenius and Fuzzibunz on my girls.  They are in good shape for when DD3 arrives. 

Just be aware that even though they say "one-size" they rarely fit a newborn's skinny legs well enough at the beginning.  I use prefolds and covers till LO is 10-12 lbs.

BFP 2/14/08, DD1 born 10/11/08 (natural); BFP 5/16/10, DD2 born 01/12/11 (c/s, breech)
    TTC #3: BFP 4/27/12, Ectopic 5/16/12 Expectant Management, 8/15/12 Cleared to TTC
    BFP 9/25/12 EDD 6/6/13, Shooting 3-for-3 from the line: It's a Girl
    PgAL/PAL Welcome
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have not CD'd before, but we will be CDing this baby and I have done a ton of asking around and shopping around so far. So, I'll just give you input on a couple things based on my research.

The BG AIOs are popular and have been recommended to me by a lot of people, but they will not fit a newborn. You'll generally need a "newborn stash" to last you until baby is at least 10 to 12 lbs.

I've made a budget of 150 for newborn stash and will be getting a dozen prefolds, 6 covers, and a dozen mixed AIOs/pockets in NB size. I did the math for disposables to make sure this was worth it, because the baby will likely only use this stash for 2 or 3 months, and it's worth it. The way newborns go through diapers, I easily spent 350 on Pampers Swaddlers in DD's first 3 months.

For the one size stage, I'm getting 24 AIOs/pockets. Don't put all your eggs in one basket as far a brand; you don't know what will work with your baby. My stash will be a mix of BG elementals, BG 4.0, Kawaii pockets and Alva pockets. If I'm lucky, I might get my hands on a Swaddlebees Simplex or two. My budget is 250 for the one size stage; so a total of 400 from birth to potty training. I'm guessing it'll be closer to 500 when all is said and done, but that's still a huge savings compared to the 1400 or so that we spent on disposables for DD.

Hope this helps!
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Check out Green Mountain Diapers too as prefolds is a good solution for NB too

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• imagesctiger52408:
    We are planning on using them.  I went to a CD class a couple weeks ago where they explained the different types and how to clean them.  We decided on pockets because they are adjustable for all sizes.  A mom there said she used the same diapers from birth to 3-ish years when her kids stopped using diapers and she used them for two kids.  I saw a recommendation on one of the boards here for superstash.com and we will be ordering a lot from there.  It's a little extra laundry, but the cost savings are going to be pretty amazing, plus CDs are much cuter than disposables :)  I like the environmental factor too.  Definitely check out the cloth diaper board.  I lurk there sometimes, but haven't posted because I don't feel like I know enough to contribute.

Thanks for the heads up on superstash.net. I have now just purchased 12 Newborn Alva's, 20 extra inserts, and a wetbag for $95 total. Sweet.

BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I found a diaper service here in town.  I am going to start with the ones they provide.  If I don't like theirs I can buy my own and they will still launder them.

• This is a good thread for me...I've purchased about 40 prefolds and covers that I'll be able to use once LO is about 15-30 lbs (hopefully that will take me to potty training or at least close!), but I'm unsure still what I'll do until she is 15 lbs. When you all say that in the newborn stage you used prefolds with covers...were they prefolds sized for newborns? I'm assuming the covers are either that or the kind you can snap down to fit a newborn. I'm wondering because the prefolds I bought just seem way to big for a new baby. I guess maybe I need a 'NB stash' to carry me to that next stage. Let me know what you think...you ladies are very informative:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I would try a few things before committing to an entire stash of one type.  I really thought I would be an AIO person, but I use prefolds and fitteds 99% of the time.
    Formerly Photocat82, but the bump is fabulous and I somehow ended up with a corrupted account. imageAdventures in Randomness Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagebonita_darling:
    This is a good thread for me...I've purchased about 40 prefolds and covers that I'll be able to use once LO is about 1530 lbs hopefully that will take me to potty training or at least close!, but I'm unsure still what I'll do until she is 15 lbs. When you all say that in the newborn stage you used prefolds with covers...were they prefolds sized for newborns? I'm assuming the covers are either that or the kind you can snap down to fit a newborn. I'm wondering because the prefolds I bought just seem way to big for a new baby. I guess maybe I need a 'NB stash' to carry me to that next stage. Let me know what you think...you ladies are very informative:

I had a 7.7 lbs baby and I used regular newborn prefolds with thirstiest duo snap wrap covers size 1 snapped to the smallest size from the time G was 4 days old with no problem. The newborn prefolds looked big but once I pre washed and dried them a bunch they were much tinier. Prefolds and covers were the only thing that worked for his skinny legs for months!

• I didn't like the one-size diapers for newborn. I would get some newborn size (kissaluv 0s are good) and then use your one-size when baby gets bigger (I liked them starting at 4 months).

My diapers lasted 2 years and are in great shape. I've got them all washed and prepped and ready for baby girl to start using.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebonita_darling:
    This is a good thread for me...I've purchased about 40 prefolds and covers that I'll be able to use once LO is about 1530 lbs hopefully that will take me to potty training or at least close!, but I'm unsure still what I'll do until she is 15 lbs. When you all say that in the newborn stage you used prefolds with covers...were they prefolds sized for newborns? I'm assuming the covers are either that or the kind you can snap down to fit a newborn. I'm wondering because the prefolds I bought just seem way to big for a new baby. I guess maybe I need a 'NB stash' to carry me to that next stage. Let me know what you think...you ladies are very informative:

There are different size prefolds and covers that you can get. I don't know what size you have now but people on the cloth diaper board love green mountain diaper prefolds w thirsties duo size 1s for newborns. If you don't get the right size prefolds, you will end up with a lot of extra material and it will be crazy bulky on a newborn.

I have never cloth diapered but I'm obsessed and have been learning everything I can because there is so much to learn! I figured out most things just from lurking on the cloth diaper board very nice and helpful. They also recommend looking at the nickisdiapers and kellyscloset new to cloth diapering links as well as the cloth diapering 101 channel on you tube.
    Kristen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• imagebonita_darling:

Yes, prefolds come in all sorts of sizes. I'm getting some OsoCozy size 1 PFs, which I think fit 6 to 12lbs, and some Green Mountain Diapers yellow edge, which are actually the size small rather than the newborn size, because their newborn size only fits 5 to 10lbs and DD was 9lbs. For covers, I got two Thirsties covers size XS and two Thirsties duo covers, and one Bummis Super Brite in the newborn size. I plan to get one or two more.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • imageamie444:
    I found a diaper service here in town.nbsp; I am going to start with the ones they provide.nbsp; If I don't like theirs I can buy my own and they will still launder them.

I don't know if you have looked into it but there are some good cloth diapering trials on some CD websites. They give you a variety of types of diapers to try out and you keep what you like and send back the rest for credit to the store to buy more of what you like or I think some give you the majority of your money back minus a rental fee sort of thing. I didn't really look into it much because I want my own NB stash since it has such a high resell value, plus I'm going to use them with any other future kiddos. Anyway, the trial seems like a good idea and I've read a lot of people were very happy they chose to go that route to find out what they preferred.
    Kristen's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• Have you considered a diaper service if you are going cloth? It will save you time and trouble.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"