January 2013 Moms

Ugh, MIL

So, when you are holding a baby who starts giving hunger cues like sucking her fingers and then bouncing her head, you would give her back to the mom to feed her, right? And even if you didn't believe the mom when she said the baby was getting hungry, once the baby started crying, you'd at least then get the picture and hand over the baby, right? You wouldn't tel the mother that the baby wasn't that hungry because she wasn't crying hard enough, would you?

Well, my MIL has done this to me twice now! DH has to go and literally pry DD from her arms! It makes me so mad.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Ugh, MIL

• I'm pissed just reading this. I'd ask her to respect your wishes as the mother. SO should back you up. I don't really let LO cry much, what's the point in that when she is days old?
  • Lol, I kind of felt like that whenever we have visitors... I'm like okay, hand me back my baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageReeceFamily:
    I'm pissed just reading this. I'd ask her to respect your wishes as the mother. SO should back you up. I don't really let LO cry much, what's the point in that when she is days old?

He does. The first time this happened, we chalked it up to crazy grandma antics. Today he wasn't in the room at first, but helped when he came back. We will have to devise a plan on how to handle this when we get home.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My MIL has done this "Someone's hungry mommy, someone's hungry..." ok well then hand over the baby already!

BFP #1 05/03/12 DD: 12/18/12
    BFP #2 05/26/14 MMC: 6/26/14 D&C: 7/18/14
    BFP #3 10/09/14 MC 10/24/14

• imageReeceFamily:
    I'm pissed just reading this. I'd ask her to respect your wishes as the mother. SO should back you up. I don't really let LO cry much, what's the point in that when she is days old?

Ahhh me too! What is with MIL's and BOUNDARIES!!

So glad  you and your SO are on the same page!

• My mother-in-law does this too.  I've had to just pull my little one out of her arms before.

I also get to hear about how all babies love her giant boobs and how they all snuggle in when she holds them.  She is my husband's step-mother and while she was pregnant several times, she lost them all.  She is very sad, and never hesitates to tell me (many, many times, I'm telling ya) that she never got to do her "God-given right" of nursing a baby.  No doubt that I'm extremely sad about her losses, but each time she tells the story, the timing of when she lost the pregnancies changes - to fit the story she is telling which really makes me question all of it.  Oh well...

• My MIL does the someone's hungry too.  Usually it's at the slightest clue and I have usually just fed my baby.  It gets annoying because she keeps repeating it and I feel like saying, you only need to tell me once or not at all.  I know my baby boy (2 weeks old tomorrow) and know that he is eating constantly (cluster feeding most of the time) and growing.  I am EBF and at times I think he wants to "feed" just to soothe.  I could really do without my MIL advice.  If she had her way, I would be stuck in bed for 40 days and only getting up to use bathroom and eat and taking care of baby.  Lord help me, I've been told she is planning on coming over again tomorrow.

MIL rant over 

• imagePrivacyWanted:
    My mom does this...still! And we are on, kid no.2! She's also asked how long I'm going to "do that" referring to EBF because she really wants to just feed her grandkids. I BFd DD 23 months so you think she'd be over it

Ugh, your own mom? That's awful, especially the 2nd time around!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That is out of control. If DH isn't retrieving i.e. rescuing your LO until a crying fit has started, I would just go and take the baby myself. Times have changed and what worked for her isn't what you want to do!

Just take the baby and tell her to deal with it!
    Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I feel for you my mother does this. She hogs my baby and when I say she wants to eat my mother throws a pouty party and starts saying you just don't want me to hold her...etc on and on. She always uses the guilt tactic and it pisses me off.   My mil is the most wonderful person thank the gods!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"