Breastfeeding

MSPI moms: I need encouragement please! (long)

I love breastfeeding and don't want to give it up, but I feel awful that DS is having such stomach/poop issues! 

After only noticing some brown specks in DS's diaper (no other symptoms), I had his diaper tested at the peds, which was positive for blood. The pedi recommended only going dairy free at first. She said some babies that have a milk intolerance also have a soy intolerance, but she said that most don't. So I have been dairy free for 4 weeks now, this includes all dairy (hidden ingredients). But I went ahead and tried to go mostly soy free, as well. I don't drink soy milk or anything obvious like that, but I do still eat things that say they may contain traces of soy.

The first couple of weeks, DS seemed about the same. Taking 2-3 poops per day, as usual for him. Poops were yellowish/orangish with seedy texture...but were becoming a bit more watery. Did not notice any more brown flecks. Had never noticed mucus up to this point.

Then something has gone wrong these last two weeks. He suddenly went from pooping 2-3 times per day to once every 4 to 6 days. I know BF babies start to poop less frequently, but that abruptly? His poops went from seedy and yellowish to brown and watery with no consistency and/or with some mucus mixed in. He began passing much more gas and it is very smelly. Within the last week, he has started waking up at night being very wiggly, whiny, and gassy for hours. Yesterday, DS was fussy pretty much the entire day, straightening himself out as stiff as a board, and today he had a bowel movement that was nothing but brown mucus. So I took him in to the pedi and diaper tested positive for blood. Pedi recommended completely dairy and soy free, which I will do. Also, set up an appointment with a ped GI for Tuesday.

I just don't understand why cutting dairy and eating very little soy has made things worse? Pedi was puzzled too and didn't have any advice. Obviously I don't want my baby to keep being in pain...it breaks my heart. I asked about eggs and nuts, which I read could be common allergens, but the pedi said no. I have been eating an 1-2 eggs per day or egg salad, as well as almond milk and peanut butter sandwiches. But, again, pedi said that couldn't be it.

It's worth mentioning that I was on an antibiotic (dicloxacillin) during the time that things started getting worse (however, they started getting worse right before I was on the meds). I finished the antibiotics on Monday, but pedi said this was not likely to be the cause.

Sorry this is so long...thanks for reading it all! I'm just a worried momma. Hoping someone has some advice or words on encouragement. Things do get better, right? You don't have to give up BF'ing, right?  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: MSPI moms: I need encouragement please! (long)

• My son is MSPI and I noticed of I eat peanut butter or lots of nuts that he was really gassy and had smelly farts. I cut out nuts and notice a 80 difference in him. He still has gas but its not as smelly and frequent. So I would say cut all peanuts/nuts!
  • imagepurplegem11:
    My son is MSPI and I noticed of I eat peanut butter or lots of nuts that he was really gassy and had smelly farts. I cut out nuts and notice a 80 difference in him. He still has gas but its not as smelly and frequent. So I would say cut all peanuts/nuts!

I think I will do that. Even though the pedi says no, it's worth a try because that is one thing I've been eating more of since going dairy free. Thanks for the input! 

• Loading the player...
  • What is MSPI?  It's not in the glossary.
  • Milk soy protein intolerant
  • I think you certainly could try cutting out another common allergen if going completely soy free doesn't help. I have had to eliminate dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts, and wheat to get to a good place. It took me until DS was 7 months old to figure it out.
    I would recommend cutting things out 1 by 1 and giving it a few weeks each time to see if it helps. I know some moms go on a TED if things are really bad but if he's doing ok and this latest incident is behind you I'd go the step by step route to make it easier on yourself.
    I know your pedi said it probably wasn't the antibiotic but you might call the pharmacy and ask what else was in it. Some medications have lactose in them, I have discovered.
    Good luck! I know this is hard but you do not have to give up BF. If you work at it you should be able to figure out what he's reacting to and adjust your diet.
  • imagesnowflake91011:
    I asked the pedi about testing my baby's diaper and she said they didn't do it. I still think my son may be mspi.

Why do you think so? Have you tried cutting out all dairy?
    Is there no lab associated with your pedi's office? Can you take him somewhere else?
  • I would definitely cut out all soy (it's in a lot of packaged foods). I remember when I first went dairy free, it seemed like just about anything I ate bothered DD2. She seemed to get worse before she got better. I had to cut out soy and all nuts too. We later found out she's allergic to cashews, but it seemed like any nut in my diet bothered her. 

Anyway, I would like to know why your pedi says LO can't be bothered by eggs or peanuts in your diet. That was terrible advice! Honestly, I'd cut soy, eggs, and nuts now and if LO improves, introduce eggs or nuts back in after a few months and see how he does.  

someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"