Babies: 3 - 6 Months

What suv/van would you buy?

So im going to get a new vehicle to safety tote around my DD and sometimes my 5 nephews 1 niece! I know its not my respon. to be driving ny family around but I might as well buy a handy car so that I can haul everyone around. Something under 30,000 new or used that doesnt look too much like a mommy car but has good function. I have a Peg Perego Viaggio Convert carseat 5/70 so it should be great in any car really. What car do you recommend I take a look at?

Haha I should add that the kids are from two sides of the family so it wouldnt be that many at one time. 5 or 6 people at one time tops 3 or 4 kids at a time.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What suv/van would you buy?

• imageLalaMama81:

So, that's 7 kids and 1 adult? I don't think there are any normal SUVs or vans you can get that seat that many kids. 

Most vans & SUVs are 7-8 people, but 2 of those are front seats, so adults only.

And no way would I buy a huge car like that if I only had 1 kid. I understand you want to help, but that's a lot. 

I completely agree!

We have a Ford Edge AWD and LOVE it. Granted, there is only 3 of us so the car is plenty spacious for us. If I were going to buy a larger vehicle, I would definitely look into a new Ford Explorer. But like PP said, you really aren't going to find a vehicle to seat that many kids. Unless of course you bought one of those large passenger vans (eek!).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • imageLalaMama81:

So, that's 7 kids and 1 adult? I don't think there are any normal SUVs or vans you can get that seat that many kids. 

Most vans & SUVs are 7-8 people, but 2 of those are front seats, so adults only.

And no way would I buy a huge car like that if I only had 1 kid. I understand you want to help, but that's a lot. 

Ditto the above.  So, is that 7 car seats for the 7 kids?  I couldn't even imagine.

The only vehicle I could think of that could accommodate that would be a 14 passenger van or a small bus.  And I really doubt you are going to find either of those in good condition for $30k.  Not to mention the cost of gas for a vehicle that large.

IF most of those kids do not need to be in carseats (if they are over 7 or 8) then a Suburban could probably hold them.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a Toyota Rav4 and love it.  It only seats 5 though. (Two adults in the front, three seats in the back.)  Our next vehicle will be a Toyota Highlander or 4Runner.  I think you can get a Highlander under $30K.

I've also heard good things about Honda minivans.  Odyssey I think it's called. 

image imageimageimage

• I love my Toyota highlander but there is no way it would fit that many car seats. 2 seats in the front, 3 in the middle & a possible 3rd row with 2 seats. 

The middle 3rd seat is small so no car seat here with two others on the sides & a very tight fit for 3 adults in middle. 

• I have a Honda Odyssey and love it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee.  My wife loves the safety ratings it has, and I love the power and towing capability.  We got a brand new 2012 with a bunch of flare for @ 30,000.  5 star rating from NHTSB.  The 2013 is a 4 star, I believe.

• We have a Kia Sorrento and LOVE it. Korean cars have come a looong way, but still have a cheap pricetag. I literally LOL when DH said he wanted to test drive one. Once we did, I was shocked at how great it was!

Ours is only a 5 seater, but has the option of ordering a 3rd row of seats. This might be a good option for you if you will not be using them all the time. We can order our row at anytime and I *believe* they fold down when not in use. I could be wrong about this!

• Check into the Mazda cx-9
  • imageMelRC117:

I would not buy a vehicle based on toting around other kids unless I ran an in home daycare.  When you don't have them that will be a lot of wasted gas.

My next vehicle purchase will be a Subaru Tribeca.  It has 3rd row seating but isnt a monster since we wouldn't be using it all the time and I hate unnecessarily large vehicles.

I sold my Tribeca last year but I loved loved loved it!!!!! Now I have a Honda minivan. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • imageDottyBlue:
    imageLalaMama81:

Ditto the above.  So, is that 7 car seats for the 7 kids?  I couldn't even imagine.

The only vehicle I could think of that could accommodate that would be a 14 passenger van or a small bus.  And I really doubt you are going to find either of those in good condition for $30k.  Not to mention the cost of gas for a vehicle that large.

IF most of those kids do not need to be in carseats (if they are over 7 or 8) then a Suburban could probably hold them.

My neighbor has 6 children (at least 3 of whom are in car seats) and she has a 15 passenger van. She and I were talking the other day about cars, and she told me that her husband paid either 18K or 8K for it. It's a really nice one too, so I know you can get one for pretty low.

OP, I agree with pps; if you only have one child of your own, I wouldn't be getting a larger vehicle to transport other people; they may eventually just rely on you to take them everywhere and that may be more than you bargained for.

If you plan on having more children, I would see this purchase as somewhat smart, although the gas is a big cost. 

• Unless you plan on having more than 1 kid, getting a minivan for that reason is not a very good one.

BUT if you do plan on having more kids and want a minivan, a Honda Odyssey is the way to go,. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • We have a honda pilot that seats 8. It is my favorite car I've ever owned, but there is no way it would hold 7 car seats. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We just purchased a GMC Acadia and we love it so far. It's really roomy. It has 3 rows and a large front and passenger area. I have been wanting one ever since I saw it on Ellen in 2008 when it first came out. Patience is a virtue!
  • I had a Ford Edge that I loved, but once we went from one kid to two I just wanted more room. We just bought a Chevy Traverse about a month ago and I love it. We opted for the 2nd row capt chairs so the 3rd row would be so tight plus it gives my kids their own chair/space. Similar to minivan but still an suv which i like 
    *Michelle* Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
  • We also have a Ford Edge that works quite well with our family of 3.  Very spacious.
  • I as well, it's the best!!
  • Honda odyssey! Best seat manuverability. Also great on gas because it shuts down extra pistons when driving at a constant speed.. We get 25 MPG all the time in a van!! New models look awesome even my husband liked the look and he swore he'd never be seen in a van! It's safety rating is awesome. We had a Toyota rav 4 and this more than surpasses it in every way! Turning radius is amazing too. Just test drive it and I'd bet you'd be sold!
  • Personally, I really love the GMC Acadia. It comes with third row seating, a new one would be more than you'd want to pay, but you can find them a couple of years old for around 30k. Don't listen to everyone else about whether you should or shouldn't get a larger vehicle. It may not be what they would do, but they don't know you personally or live your life.
  • Yeah most vehicles won't carry that many people but I have a Chrysler Town Country and love it. I have space and privacy to sit in the back and breastfeed and I have one of the seats folded down always stow go so I can easily change my little boy's diaper. And if it's raining I just jump over into the drivers seat. I love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"