C-sections

Elective C/S

At what point in pregnancy is the best time to op for an elective CS? I want to bring this up at some point to my OB's but I just don't know how. TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Elective C/S

• Why are you wanting an " elective" csection? Before I give my opinion I would like to know. Is there a medical reason or is this a "just because I feel like it" reason??
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • imagelanoue25:
    Why are you wanting an " elective" csection? Before I give my opinion I would like to know. Is there a medical reason or is this a "just because I feel like it" reason??

Does it matter? Will your answer change???

• Loading the player...
  • Unless there is a medical reason, my OB won't do a c-section until 39 weeks.  I scheduled my c-section at my 38-week appointment and had my c-section at 39w2d.

• A good OB won't do elective c-sections because they are vain (as a PP said), unnecessary, and dangerous. C-sections should be used to help the mother, LO, or in case of a medical issue. You just wanting major abdominal surgery isn't a legit medical reason.

• imageLeToyaR:

imagelanoue25:
    Why are you wanting an " elective" csection? Before I give my opinion I would like to know. Is there a medical reason or is this a "just because I feel like it" reason??

.    Heeeelllll yes it matters and yes it will change my opinion......like others said a csection is a MAJOR surgery.....why put yourself, family and new baby at risk if you DONT have to? Medical reasons for sure.....I was a medical reason csection and had no choice. And also i see women who just want to bump up their due date and have a csection, which is so beyond selfish. That baby needs to bake until they are good and ready to come out. And if you are afraid of your private area being torn apart which hey, its childbirth and worth it then maybe a pregnancy wasnt the best choice.  I apologize for my harsh opinion but  watching my baby in the NICU after my csection was not the way I wanted to go........
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    My BFP Chart
  • imagelanoue25:
    imageLeToyaR:

imagelanoue25:

.    Heeeelllll yes it matters and yes it will change my opinion......like others said a csection is a MAJOR surgery.....why put yourself, family and new baby at risk if you DONT have to? Medical reasons for sure.....I was a medical reason csection and had no choice. And also i see women who just want to bump up their due date and have a csection, which is so beyond selfish. That baby needs to bake until they are good and ready to come out. And if you are afraid of your private area being torn apart which hey, its childbirth and worth it then maybe a pregnancy wasnt the best choice.  I apologize for my harsh opinion but  watching my baby in the NICU after my csection was not the way I wanted to go........

I agree! I had a c/s NOT by choice, but not an emergency either. Just a long long labor without much progression. Luckily, baby girl was big enough (8lbs 7oz) so I didn't have to go through watching her in the NICU. My recovery was PAINFUL and long. I was lucky there were no complications, but would never recommend anyone elect to have one.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Ty.

I will just talk to my OB and leave it up to  her to decide if the C/S is medically necessary.

• To OP: This is how I asked my dr when I was around 15 weeks, "Is it too soon to  discuss birth options?" and his reponse was, " Whenever you are ready and if you need time to think about each option, we can go over them now, and give you time to think about it."

To other criticizing her for bringing up elective CS: Everyone has their own reasons, your criticism will not change a stranger's opinion about CS. If you are against just don't answer the question.

• imageTX-Bride:

To OP: This is how I asked my dr when I was around 15 weeks, "Is it too soon to  discuss birth options?" and his reponse was, " Whenever you are ready and if you need time to think about each option, we can go over them now, and give you time to think about it."

To other criticizing her for bringing up elective CS: Everyone has their own reasons, your criticism will not change a stranger's opinion about CS. If you are against just don't answer the question.

Amen.

I had to have a CS due to medical reasons & my baby had to go to the NICU. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. Next time I have a child I have the option, if there are no complications, for a VBAC or a CS and I will be choosing a CS. So I guess "technically" that's an elective CS.  

• imagepamelamelanie924:
    imageTX-Bride:

To OP: This is how I asked my dr when I was around 15 weeks, "Is it too soon to  discuss birth options?" and his reponse was, " Whenever you are ready and if you need time to think about each option, we can go over them now, and give you time to think about it."

Amen.

I had to have a CS due to medical reasons & my baby had to go to the NICU. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to go through. Next time I have a child I have the option, if there are no complications, for a VBAC or a CS and I will be choosing a CS. So I guess "technically" that's an elective CS.  

A RCS isn't quite the same as a first time mom saying "I don't want to push a kid out of my vag, cut me open please."  Often, a RCS is safer than a VBAC.

• imagemabenner1:
    imagepamelamelanie924:
    imageTX-Bride:

Amen.

A RCS isn't quite the same as a first time mom saying "I don't want to push a kid out of my vag, cut me open please."  Often, a RCS is safer than a VBAC.

.   THIS!!! Alot of mommies have to go with a csection after one....thats actually pretty normal. Much safer! I am on the same page as you :)
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    My BFP Chart
  • From someone who had to have a c-section - please don't CHOOSE to have one.  Someone else said "everyone has their own reasons" but I honestly can't think of 1 reason why someone would just want to have an elective c-section.  (unless it is a 2nd birth and you have to choose between vbac and cs, that's different b/c different risks involved). 

BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You absolutely have an option and for anyone to say you don't, they are out of line.  Maybe it's not a popular option but sometimes a C-section is safer for everyone involved.  Why such judgement???  We are on a board about C-sections.  Talk to your doctor as soon as you have made your own personal decision.
  • imageHolly7LV:
    You absolutely have an option and for anyone to say you don't, they are out of line.  Maybe it's not a popular option but sometimes a C-section is safer for everyone involved.  Why such judgement???  We are on a board about C-sections.  Talk to your doctor as soon as you have made your own personal decision.

If we are talking about c-sections being safer for everyone involved...we are leaning toward it becoming medically necessary......and leaning away from elective.  Everyone else on here is thinking elective=just not wanting to push a baby out of you or just being able to schedule your exact date of delivery.

BabyName Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageHolly7LV:
    You absolutely have an option and for anyone to say you don't, they are out of line.nbsp; Maybe it's not a popular option but sometimes a Csection is safer for everyone involved.nbsp; Why such judgement???nbsp; We are on a board about Csections.nbsp; Talk to your doctor as soon as you have made your own personal decision.

Agreed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageHolly7LV:
    You absolutely have an option and for anyone to say you don't, they are out of line.nbsp; Maybe it's not a popular option but sometimes a Csection is safer for everyone involved.nbsp; Why such judgement???nbsp; We are on a board about Csections.nbsp; Talk to your doctor as soon as you have made your own personal decision.

No, you don't necessarily have a choice. Many insurance companies won't cover elective csections, leaving you on the hook for procedures that can run well over 20,000.
  • My c section wasn't elective but I had a fantastic recovery, my son is healthy, and I am very happy with how things went.  I have zero regrets and would absolutely choose a RCS for any future child(ren) we have.  I also know quite a few people with significant damage and lasting problems resulting from vaginal births.  Do what you, your husband, and your doctor think is best, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• imageMelRC117:
    imageTX-Bride:

Well since she asked when should she opt for one, the answer is you usually don't get to really get the option because there are more risks involved.  I think part of the things she should know is that most doctors don't do it just because you don't want to push a baby out of your vag. 

.       AGREED!!!!!!
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    My BFP Chart
  • And to touch on a point regarding csections.....one thing that happenda during a vag birth is all the fluid usually gets squeezed out of the babies lungs as with a csection it doesnt....so right there is you decided you "want " a csection you are putting your new baby at risk......I have no problem posting pics of my csection baby who had this happen to her. Nice NICU stay attached to a feeding tube, IVs and a breathing machine. Sorry, this is a sensitive subject for me because I felt like shhhit seeing my DD go through that all because of my health causing my to NEED a csection. Heartbreaking!!!
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    My BFP Chart
  • With DD1, my ob pretty much led me to believe a csection was necessary. In hindsight, I don't think that it was , but I didn't know any better at the time. Regardless, my first csection was a good experience and I opted for a repeat.
  • imageLeToyaR:

Ty.

I will just talk to my OB and leave it up to  her to decide if the C/S is medically necessary.

Please do this.  If this is your second baby with a previous c/s then you can discuss it at anytime with your OB and if you do not want to VBAC, then it will be scheduled around the 39th week or after.  If this is your first, if there is no medical reason to do a c/s then you just need to sit tight and let nature do her thing.  If a c/s becomes necessary, so be it.   A c/s is not like a boob job or getting a tooth pulled.  A OB surgeon has to go through layers of skin, fat, and muscle, including cutting into your uterus to get at your LO.  This means moving organs that are already not in their proper place as it is.  Not to mention you do not get to hold your baby for over half an hour or more if you are lucky. Recovery is not peaches and creme.  You cannot pull your stitches or irritate your incision and no sudden moves.  A vaginal birth can have a swifter recovery sometimes a c/s can go pretty well but just think, the doc is going to cut about two inches into your body to get your baby.  Not trying to be scary but that alone would not make a c/s my first option.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Personally, i think both ways of having children are challenings for recoovery in their own ways. Csection experience and recovery varies for each person and each procedure. Some have great experiences, others have horrible. Same could be said for vag births. My hospital only does c's if there is medical reason.

Babies' readiness to breath also varies. Had a last minute csection due to baby's heart rate dropping with contractions. Glad it was done because she had u coord wrapped around body and neck. Was easy recovery in my opinion.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageJSabs09:
    imageHolly7LV:
    Agreed.

I agree as well!

Everyone that made assumptions and attacked the OP needs to relax.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"