Parenting
Options

Traveling w your 2yo

Has anyone traveled by air with their 2yo (and no other adults)?

I'm trying to figure out what's logistically possible between carryon and checked. 

Best way to get the car-seat to the gate? Is buying one of those wheel attachments worth it?

TIA

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Traveling w your 2yo

• Options
    Nope, but we are thinking about doing it this year so I am stalking this thread now.  :)
  • Options

Bungee the carseat to one of those $20 luggage carts.  Strap kid in, wheel kid around airport.  When on plane, pull kid in carseat down aisle.  Take kid out and put them in your seat.  Install their carseat, strap kid back in.  Put luggage cart in overhead bin.  

Done. 

eta:  If you have a big/heavy carseat, I suggest you buy a lightweight one as a spare/travel seat.  Cosco sceneras are recommended since they're lightweight and relatively narrow.  Some flight attendents will ask to see the "FAA Certified" sticker, so make sure you know where it's located.  If you like, print a copy of this pdf out and stick it in your pocket in case the FA hasn't read their updated safety manual: https://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/60d70126cf679d5a8625723b007841e7/$FILE/AC%20120-87A.pdf 

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I am about to travel with my almost two year and here are some suggestions from advice I have gotten from other people.

Everyone has recommended a carseat wheel attachment thing--see if you don't have friends where you can borrow one or a luggage cart.  If you don't need the carseat for the plan (lap baby) then buy or rent one at the destination.  Suggestions have been Cosco (not costco) seats which are safe but inexpensive (not sure on comfort level).

As far as bags--I will have DS carry a small backpack with his toys/pillow/blanket for the trip.  I'm carrying a backpack and a carry-on wheel suitcase.   He's a lap baby, so we are using a stroller (gate check).  Backpack on the back. Kid in stroller.  His backpack connected to the stroller and suitcase actually also connects to the stroller.  

We have one checked bag (only a 4 night 5 day stay) 

Good luck.  I'll be listening in and hope you get some good suggestions.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imageDreadLoc:
    Bungee the carseat to one of those 20 luggage carts. nbsp;Strap kid in, wheel kid around airport. nbsp;When on plane, pull kid in carseat down aisle. nbsp;Take kid out and put them in your seat. nbsp;Install their carseat, strap kid back in. nbsp;Put luggage cart in overhead bin. nbsp;Done.nbsp;

Bungee cords are the best!!

I wear DS in the Ergo, bungee the carseat to the stroller and throw my carryons on top. The stroller acts as a cart but you still have it in case of a major meltdown or emergency.

Ask for lots of help too!

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Options
    You might also check your checked bag at the curbside instead of hauling it inside.  Gets rid of that bag fairly quickly and only takes a 5 dollar tip. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We go to Florida every  year and there is a baby equipment rental place near my family. They rent a crib and car seat and high chair for us. it makes traveling so much easier and it is pretty cheap

• Options
    We're getting on the travel strap things (about $12) and will use it to attach to the rolling suitcase.  We're also buying a cheap Cosco Scenara like the PP mentioned b/c the Blvd is way to heavy to take.  Please don't check your carseat!  The airlines will NOT take care of it and the throwing/dropping/etc. could harm the seat.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageByeBabyBunting:
    We go to Florida every  year and there is a baby equipment rental place near my family. They rent a crib and car seat and high chair for us. it makes traveling so much easier and it is pretty cheap

Rental car seat are not recommended at all.  You don't know if the seat was in an accident, how it's handled, if the straps were washed, or any of it's history.  If you're not going to use a seat on the plane, then it's much better off to just buy a carseat and leave it with your family to use when you visit.   

however long the night, dawn will break.

• Options
    Thanks all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options

We just flew. We did buy one of those car seat bags on wheels but it was a bit of a PITA. A backpack style one might have worked better. It wasn't too bad, though. We used the car seat on the plane and gate-checked the umbrella stroller which we used to walk through the airport. We also brought a backpack as carry-on with stuff for DS and my purse. DH was with me so I didn't have to wrangle all of this myself. It went more smoothly than I anticipated. I did bribe DS with M&Ms on the plane when he started getting fussy on our first flight because it was crowded and we were in the front but on every other flight we had no one next to us so he did better. We sat in the back on the other 3 flights and I much preferred that.

ETA: I believe I've read before that checking your car seat can mean it'll be considered compromise as if it's been in an accident since they can be thrown around and stuff. If I had to I guess I'd get check but I'd much rather use it on the plane. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I travel across the country 2 time a year. First car seats and strollers can be checked for no extra cost. So what I do is I check my car seat with my bag at the counter and then I take my stroller (it is a nice big stroller with lots of places to carry things) all the way to the gate.

My ds carries his bag that is packed with new books, new treats, new toys, diapers and wipes/ change of clothes. I stress the NEW so that it keeps his interest for as long as possible.

The nice thing about a stroller with an under carriage and cup holders is that when my ds want to get out and walk I can pile everything in and there he gets a little run around time.

• Options

I travel (fly) with all 3 of my kids including a 2 year old all by myself.  

I never bring a carseat because my mom has her own (we usually fly to her house in AL) but have flown to Orlando and borrowed one.    I hear its best to gate check because its easier on the carseat, less likely to be thrown around.   I used the CARES for the flight.  I gate check the stroller (with three he has to be contained : ) I bring snack, ipad, movies and we don't have any issues usually.  

Once, we missed our flight (cause they changed the time), and had to fly throw FOUR airports to get home...it was hell but I made it and flew again (and had a 4 hour delay on the same airline). Stay away from AA if possible.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"