Baby Showers

asking to exchange a gift

hello ladies,

I just had my baby shower this past saturday.  I got a gift from a friend that I had registered for, those baby brezza food makers, i also got a similar product from another friend, the munchin food processor.  I rather keep the baby brezza and exchange the food processor since i registered for the brezza.  However, there was no gift receipt for the food processor nor can I find it anywhere in any of the baby stores, ie buybuybaby, babies r us, walmart or target.  Do you guys think its rude of me to ask the person that got it for me where she got the gift from so i can go exchange it?  I mean, she spent her hard earned money on it and i don't want it to just sit there and collect dust. i rather exchange it for something i can use for the baby.

Re: asking to exchange a gift

• imageMandJS:
    I would not ask her. If you can't figure out where to return it (have you checked on amazon?), I would either gift to someone else or donate to a women's shelter or similar. 

it could be from Amazon, but i'm clueless when it comes to that, can i exchange it from there? 

• imageMelRC117:

I've seen a lot of Munchkin baby food products at Wal Mart..did you actually bring it there?

I would not ask for the gift receipt. 

i don't want to ask for a gift receipt, i just wanted to ask her where she got it from so i can exchange it. i looked on walmart's website and even though they have a lot of muchkin stuff, they don't have that specific food processor.;

• Loading the player...
  • Do you have a smartphone, you can download an app that can can the barcode and tell you where it's sold.

• imagepaulette1979:

imageMandJS:
    I would not ask her. If you can't figure out where to return it (have you checked on amazon?), I would either gift to someone else or donate to a women's shelter or similar. 

it could be from Amazon, but i'm clueless when it comes to that, can i exchange it from there? 

I'm pretty sure you can't exchange at amazon.com, unless you have a receipt. I wouldn't ask her where she got it, either. You might just have to regift it or donate it, at some point.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagea13049:
    Do you have a smartphone, you can download an app that can can the barcode and tell you where it's sold.

good one!! i'll download one now. 

i'm glad i don't have to ask her, it would have made for a very awkward conversation. 

• PP's suggestion about the bar code searcher is a good one- also try looking at stores that sell home goods (bed bath beyond, kohls, etc.).  If you can't find one on your own, I wouldn't ask the gift giver.  I'd either sell it or donate it.
    BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Asking for a gift receipt is awkward, rude and hurtful.  If you can't figure out where to return it, consider selling it on ebay or Craigslist.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Also check in store at Walmart and Target. The online stores carry different items than in store and vice versa. You can call them for an item look up or even take it in. I know at Walmart if it pulls up at all they will return it.
  • "Yeah, Aunt Sally--thanks for the food processor, but since another friend actually got me the one I wanted, I was wondering where you got me yours from so I could take it back and get the money for it to buy something that I actually like." 

vs

"Oh, this is a perfectly acceptable food processor that I do not need.  Maybe I can give it to my friend Susie who is having a baby soon after me.  Or I could sell it and use that money (being as it's never been used and in the box) or I could donate it to the womens shelter in town and help people who need it."
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • This is the exact situation where I think it would have been nice of the gift giver to have said something to you (since you opened TWO food processors to make babyfood) - like "here is the receipt so you can return it, etc".  But...since she didn't you can not now ask her for the receipt.  It is possible she is regifting it and doesn't have the receipt herself.  I would try WalMart...they are good at taking things back (sometimes even if they don't carry it) but you will get the lowest price it ever was...kwim?  It might be better to regift (if someone doesn't have anything on their registry that is similar).  Or...like other's suggested donate it to someone (can't imagine it being used in a women's shelter though) or sell it on Craigs List.
  • Sell it on craigslist and call it a day. 

If she wanted you to have the option of returning it, she would have given you a gift receipt 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I read this and guessed maybe it was already being re-gifted when you got it.  I always include a gift receipt, and I try to buy off the registry.  She did neither...so I wouldn't be surprised if that's why you didn't get the one you registered for and you got it without a receipt.  

I wouldn't re-gift it unless it's what another friend actually registered for, or you're just passing on the problem.   However, if it's a close friend, it's okay to ask, Hey, I got two of these, do you want one?  Then it's her call and maybe she will want one.

Otherwise, donate/sell.   

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Definitely don't ask.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"