Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

tummy time troubles

DD has great heat control and has for a while. But when I put her on her tummy she screams and seems out of breath.  She does try to lift up her head but for the most part just mashes it in the mat.  When I have her sitting on my knee or on my shoulder she does great.  I am getting worried because she is not trying at all and had not idea what to do with her arms and the more I put her on her tummy, the more she cries.  Any suggestions?  TIA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image

Re: tummy time troubles

• Options

It gets a little better as time goes on.  It is a process that takes longer than we would like.  She will get the hang of it at her own pace.  Our son was horrible at it to start, and now that he is forced into it at DC everyday, he is no longer bothered by it as much. He looks like a turtle on his back now, but soon, very soon....he is going to get it!

Stay positive and patient with it!

• Options
    My DD hates Tummy Time!! She just turned 4 months on Sunday. She has great head control and has since she was about a week old. My pediatrician doesn't seem concerned, especially because she does hold her head on her own so well. She loves to be standing up and sit up, just hates being on her tummy. He said some kids just hate Tummy Time, as long as they are progressing in other areas he had no concerns.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree that tummy time does get better. Before maybe a week ago my LO HATED tummy time and also seemed out of breath when he was on her tummy. She just last week started to be okay with it. I think it's just a matter of "I will do it when I'm ready mommy!" haha. She loves it now. Just keep toys in front of your LO, try propping on a boppy. We started to put her on the couch for tummy time ( obviously with us right next to her) and I think it was better on her belly becuase it was softer than the floor. Other options too, I have laid on my back, put her on my shins and let her sit there for a while (until she cried) and also tried to put my "brest friend" pillow  on my lap and putting her on her belly on that. She just hates that she can't see what's going on around her when she's on the floor. Good luck, your LO will eventually get used to it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    imagechristinasullie37:
    DD has great heat control and has for a while. But when I put her on her tummy she screams and seems out of breath. nbsp;She does try to lift up her head but for the most part just mashes it in the mat. nbsp;When I have her sitting on my knee or on my shoulder she does great. nbsp;I am getting worried because she is not trying at all and had not idea what to do with her arms and the more I put her on her tummy, the more she cries. nbsp;Any suggestions? nbsp;TIA.nbsp;

My baby hated tummy time too until he could roll from back to tummy.... Now he's ALWAYS on his tummy, rolling all over the place sleeps on his tummy! He'll be 6 months on Friday. Just be patient it will happen :
  • Options

This is why we really never did flat-on-the-floor tummy time.  My DS would just scream and then mash his face into the floor.  Instead, I let him hang out on my chest after eating and we used the carrier a lot which helps develop neck and back muscles. 

When I finally tried putting him on his stomach again at 3 months old, he did really well, and rolled over right away.  He tolerates being on his stomach much better now that he knows he can escape by rolling over when he's done. Stick out tongue

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My DS hated it too. Then it ended up being the only way I could get him to nap. He would get so upset he would fall asleep. He likes it now, now that he has more neck and head control. He becomes very proud of himself when he pushes himself up. 

They say it's normal for babies to hate it but continue to do it even if its for 1-2 minutes at a time.   

• Options
    It will get better. Your LO is only 3 months, in a few weeks they will want to explore more and feel free to try different activity mats...maybe the colors and pictures will encourage her to lift up or maybe a few toys will give her the boost to move around.
  • Options

imageDavidStamps:
    It will get better. Your LO is only 3 months, in a few weeks they will want to explore more and feel free to try different activity mats...maybe the colors and pictures will encourage her to lift up or maybe a few toys will give her the boost to move around.

Yes! My LO has now gotten to the point of being in her play mat and she doesn't need mommy's attention to play anymore =( Sad day! haha. They become independent so fast!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    DS used to fight tummy time.  He did much better if I got down on the floor with him.  Now that he is a superstar roller, I cant keep him off of his tummy!

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• Options

my son used to HATE tummy time, then I got this mat from tiny love and it really helped.  Also, I put classical baby dance show, which he loves on my ipad and put it on the floor next to him, so he can watch it while he's on his stomach. the show is about half hour, so I put it on twice. He's so entertained, he doesn't even realize he's on his tummy. Now, at 4 months he got used to being on his tummy I don't need to put the show on for him anymore, or use that mat, I can put him on anything. Good luck!

https://www.target.com/p/tiny-love-frog-tummy-time-mat/-/A-10816793#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink
  • Options
    My ds hated tummy time so I put him in my moby wrap so I could get cleaning done.wearing has most of the same effect as tummy time. Now he doesnt mind it at all. He also started rolling over back to tummy then back at 3 1/2 months!
    Good luck mama
  • Options
    My LO used to cry and smash his face too. Then, out of no where he started pushing up onto his elbows and was rolling over about two weeks after that. Now he?s on his tummy all the time. Just give it more time. It will get better!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"